What stats benefit the pet?

CampaignerCampaigner Posts: 23
edited February 2016 in TL General Discussions
I want to know what stats help the pet :)

Couldn't find a good topic covering everything.

Trying to decide on what to socket the pets rings & amulets with. I know extra health is good but that's all I know.

Also, if I give him two Summon Zombies III, he will use both?

Comments

• JibakuJibaku Posts: 119
    Hey Campaigner

I think dreamrider would give you something better than myself.

In terms of items I tend to treat the pet as an extension of the character but tend to equip magic find items on it. I haven't found amulets and rings to contain the best defensive stats (dreamrider can correct me if I'm wrong) and you'd generally want to equip the best items on your character.
    Having a good supply of the 120second fish and using them on your pet when he drops to low health/starts to flee will bring it straight back up to full health and back into the fight.
    Essentially I put my best items on the character and put magic find on the pet cause I just really really really want to find cool items but daren't give up the defensive stats >_>
    allard01 wrote:
    i had never known about arcane alchemist gear - lvl 40 and up as more as now I got. Such a beautiful topic to aware the people about arcane alchemist gear - lvl 40 and up.
    "Such a beautiful topic to aware the people"
  • You should try it and let us know if it works. It'll only destroy it or not let you equip it is the worst that can happen.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    I generally socket my pet with 100% (6 sockets) of Magic Fish Scales, once I have found them.

This is an extra +18 HP recovered per second, which is modest compared to what you can do with Core Ember on weapons, but its the best recovery enhancement you can add to the pet...
    and keeping the pet in the fight, running interference for you, is the name of the game.

What happens with the load of extra recovery on the pet is that he might get zeroed out, but he is recovering it moment-to-moment in-between strikes, so as long as he is in direct combat he is much less likely to "realize he is hurt" and flee. The Mystic Voice might even tell you that your pet is fleeing, but he will still be fighting.

Beyond that I enchant about 10 layers of enchantment on both rings and the collar/amulet, and hope for the best. If you have a choice of items that are fully buffed, choose the ones that have the most enhanced damage, especially of damage types that match the pets Spells, and +STR. +Dex doesn't seem to help a pet much.

Another way to go is to put a lot of skulls into pet sockets, giving the pet lots of +Def. It is otherwise difficult to hang a lot of +Def on a pet, with just random enchants of rings/amulet.

Sorry, Jib. Although I have not tried to prove it out myself, I have read some pretty authoritative postings in years past that indicated that things like +Magic Find and +Gold Find on the pet either don't work, or they only work if a pet strike makes the final kill. That happens less and less over time (except when you are re-running re-spawned dungeons), and it almost never happens with bosses and champions, which have the best drops. Build up Treasure Hunter Skill, instead.
    haha, no problems dreamrider
    I haven't put much focus into the pet yet anyways
    allard01 wrote:
    i had never known about arcane alchemist gear - lvl 40 and up as more as now I got. Such a beautiful topic to aware the people about arcane alchemist gear - lvl 40 and up.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭
    I think dreamrider's advice is a bit better only because gold and magic find in Torchlight is such a waste of time. You're better off looking up ways to abuse the gambler if you want to get ahold of magic items or stuff to buy cheap and sell for gold.
    ItfooQF.png
    There are also ways to abuse all the vendors in the middle game, to trade items repeatedly at a profit, for virtually unlimited gold.

But by then, after a little experience, I think that the dungeons will pretty much provide all the gold that you really need.
    I've got a lot of preferred gear, so I'm buying less. I scarcely even bother with even the Barter Skill (one of the most powerful for a beginner).

dreamrider
  • CampaignerCampaigner Posts: 23
    edited June 2014
    That lots'a advice for a 4-year old game! Happy to see that :D

I haven't gotten that far to have a great collection of socketables and items. Record is floor 16 with my dead lvl 19 Destroyer. Yeah I only play Very Hard - **** with the respecmod. Also got three dead Vanquishers (anyone else HATE the crushing walls in the sunken ruins?? Placing powerful monsters in a small area after two of those **** walls makes you want to punch somebody! :evil:
    Having those **** walls AT ALL is fkn EVIL! :!: That reminds me....those **** fires in the crypt as well :x

Good to know that DEX and MAG doesn't work on it.
    DEF, armor, damage and health all the way then.
    Correction.

I believe I said that STR does work on the pet.
    Actually lots of bonus STR can make a noticeable difference in combat impact.
    I just prefer +HP Recovery and +DEF, because I feel that keeping the pet in action longer is more important than pet kills.

Oops! Just checked. Must have been another thread. I didn't recommend against +STR here, but I was not explicit.
    Sooo....

+STR, +DEF, and (IMHO) +HP Recovery/Sec = Good.
    +MAG and +DEX and + Find = Little or No Benefit.

dreamrider
    BTW, I can't take credit for frequenting this forum.

I don't know how often Zidders swings thru here, but until 10 days ago, I hadn't been on this forum in 3-4 months.
    You lucked out, offering an ugly old prospector a drink, sonny!

dreamrider
    Yea, just keep surfing the forums for more information. It's possible to do a google search and refine it so it only emits results from this forum.

Those crushing walls in the sunken ruins, killed me the first time I got there. You need to run as soon as it starts to open and it may help to throw any summons or long range abilities or even set the pet on to 'aggressive' over the crushing walls to draw the agro of the mobs.
    Otherwise my first thoughts were about how cruel the developers were to do that ....

Oh, Torchlight was released October 27th 2009, which makes it almost 5 years old!
    allard01 wrote:
    Flechette Traps really help for getting past the slammers...and living past the mob on the other side, I mean.

dreamrider
  • CampaignerCampaigner Posts: 23
    dreamrider wrote:
    Flechette Traps really help for getting past the slammers...and living past the mob on the other side, I mean.

dreamrider

My last (and most successful) Vanquisher reached lvl 15 and got Explosive Shot. All was well until a powerful pack with one of those spungecreatures who summon poisonexplosions got me.
    I was going to get Flechette trap with my next skillpoint but OF COURSE I didn't live to get that :x

This time however I will focus on suvivability and get the Flechette trap first :D
  • dreamrider wrote:
    Correction.

I believe I said that STR does work on the pet.
    Actually lots of bonus STR can make a noticeable difference in combat impact.
    I just prefer +HP Recovery and +DEF, because I feel that keeping the pet in action longer is more important than pet kills.

Oops! Just checked. Must have been another thread. I didn't recommend against +STR here, but I was not explicit.
    Sooo....

+STR, +DEF, and (IMHO) +HP Recovery/Sec = Good.
    +MAG and +DEX and + Find = Little or No Benefit.

dreamrider

I forgot to ask this last time, but what about elemental damage & resistances? I can't check the pets resistances so I don't know if it has any at all....

I tend to give it the secondbest rings and amulet I got.
    A bit late to add on, but for all the late browsers out there...

Yes, increased resistance items DO benefit the pet. However, I would still prioritize +Str, +Def, and especially +HP recovery/sec over that.

Remember, the name of the game is Keep The Pet In The Line-Up, as long as possible.
  • dreamrider wrote:
    A bit late to add on, but for all the late browsers out there...

Yes, increased resistance items DO benefit the pet. However, I would still prioritize +Str, +Def, and especially +HP recovery/sec over that.

Remember, the name of the game is Keep The Pet In The Line-Up, as long as possible.

Man, you will always be here :P

Haven't played Torchlight for a year or so but I'll get back to it. I'll remember your advice :)

What are the ways of getting +HP recovery/sec? One of the gems and what else?