TorchED User-Made FAQ

RyxRyx Posts: 40
edited April 2010 in General Modding
How this is going to work:
Submit a question or an answer and It'll be added to the thread.
So if you ask a question like "How do I make a floor?" I'll add it to the thread and if someone has the answer, i'll add the answer to the thread.
Of course 'how do I make a floor' is a really obvious question, but I'll start with the basics.
Red is unanswered, green is answered.

How do I change or add new particles to weapons?

How do I create a working torch?
Create a new Layout Link Timeline with a torch of some sort as the reference layout.
For example make a layout link timeline and on the properties panel on the right, go to Resource > Layout File and set the file to MEDIA\LEVELSETS\PROPS\CRYPT_PROPS\BRAZIER.LAYOUT for a burning brazier.
If you 'hide' a lightsource in a logic group, it will go dark.
If you 'show' it, it will turn back on.

Every actor I add to my layout is automatically added to a new group

I'm using a windows emulator on a Mac and I can't delete anything!
Press FN+Backspace with an actor selected.

The player character is stuck on something and it's breaking my level!
Click the object that you're having trouble with, and on the properties pane on the right, change Collision to FALSE.

What's with this weirdness when I try to playtest a level? / Why do I see a single floortile when I playtest and nothing else?
When you playtest a level, the game saves a copy of the level you're working on to a temporary file so the game can run it.
Vista and Windows 7(Possibly?) can cause problems with this system by not letting the editor save the file.
The simple solution to this problem is to run the editor as Administrator.
Here's a guide:
http://www.vistaclues.com/always-run-an ... nistrator/
(thanks Odonen for letting me know and zeidrich for originally figuring this out.)

Why are some of the floor tiles matte white in the editor? (Example: texture glitch)
Press Ctrl+Shift+K or go into the options menu and click "Show Collision Meshes"

After creating a new skill in the skill data editor, how can I place it in a unused spot in the skills panel for a class?
Go to Unit Editor data editor, pick PLAYERS under group and CHARACTERS under filters, then go click the Skills tab.
Right click the list and press New Skill, then edit it to your liking.

How do I start the editor?
The default installation path is Program Files\Runic Games\TorchED\
The editor EXE is 'Editor.exe' in the same folder.

How do I create a floor tile?
Go to View>Palette and click a tileset (FORTRESS, FLOOR, etc..) and then select one of the tiles from the list and press Apply.
This will either change the currently selected tile to the one you selected in the palette, or add a new one at your guide (blue thing.) position.

How do I rotate or move something?
Click an object, click the Edit Position icon in the top left and drag the large arrows in the workspace to move it.
Click the object, click the Edit Orientation icon in the top left and drag the green, red, or blue square to rotate it on the various axises.
You'll usually want green, which rotates things to the left and right.
Alternatively (Thanks Slybones) you can click an object and press Ctrl and the left or right arrow keys to rotate an object . You can also move it up and down more easily by pressing Ctrl and the Up and Down arrow keys.
The amount of rotation is controlled by the Snap Angle option at the top of the editor.
The amount of movement is controlled by the Snap X,Z and the Snap Y options at the top of the editor.

How do I add a new actor / object to my level?
Right click the Layout list on the left and select one from the menus.

How do I add a 'spawn point' or 'player start' to my level?
Right click the Layout list on the left and go to Logic > Property Node, and then on the right side of the screen change the 'TYPE' to 'Player Start'. You can then reposition this anywhere in your level, and the player character will 'spawn in' there.

How do I test my level without opening Torchlight?
Ctrl-Click anywhere in the level and click 'Start Here' to begin testing your level at that spot. Click the brown 'Play' icon (arrow) in the top left to test your level at the Player Start.
Once you're done testing, click the Stop icon in the top left of the screen (it should be in the same place as the Play icon was previously)
There is a possible known bug where occasionally the play button may get stuck and you cannot exit playtest mode.

How do I zoom the camera in and out?
Press Q and E to move up and down and WASD to move the camera forward, back, left, and right. You can also zoom directly forward and backward using the mouse wheel, and change what direction the camera is pointing by holding right click and dragging. There is no direct key binding for zooming in/out the same way as using the mouse wheel, but you can effectively duplicate this by pressing Q and W together for zooming in, and pressing S and E together for zooming out.

What is Borje?
If you click the X on the Work Space tab (attempt to close it) a little game opens up in which you have to avoid some tiny **** with your cursor.

How do I edit the game areas/chunks from the retail game?
Click the Open button on the properties list on the left and navigate to Program FIles/Runic Games/TorchEd/Media/Layouts
This is where all of the ingame areas are. Go into any folder and open the .layout files. For example, media/town/1X1SINGLE_ROOM/town.layout is Torchlight.
(Thanks servvs!)

Comments

• NukeNuke Posts: 22
    Good stuff, thanks for the current questions.

Looking forward to more. :)
  • I can't seem to open the chunks that came with the game. How do I do that?
  • servvsservvs Posts: 131
    I can't seem to open the chunks that came with the game. How do I do that?

Im wondering the same thing.
  • nanenjnanenj Posts: 150
    servvs wrote:

ditto, the pre-existing chunks don't seem to want to work.
  • RyxRyx Posts: 40
    Added a few more questions.
    Not sure on the chunks thing, they may not be working as intended.
  • A much easier way to rotate objects is to use CTRL + Left and Right Arrow keys. The snap angle option up top affects the angle of snapping (default is 90 degrees). CTRL + Up and Down arrows lowers and raises objects.
    -Will- Environment Artist http://wharris.wordpress.com
    [CLASS] Decimator Robot (WIP): http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7162
    Slybones wrote:
    A much easier way to rotate objects is to use CTRL + Left and Right Arrow keys. The snap angle option up top affects the angle of snapping (default is 90 degrees). CTRL + Up and Down arrows lowers and raises objects.
    Thanks! Added.
    nanenj wrote:
    servvs wrote:

ditto, the pre-existing chunks don't seem to want to work.

Found em. They are in C:\Program Files (x86)\Runic Games\TorchED\media\layouts or C:\Program Files\Runic Games\TorchED\media\layouts (non x64 users). The ones in the torchlight game are already compiled so I don't think it would work to load them. They are cmp files, not layouts :D Good luck everyone
    Updated FAQ.
    Ryx wrote:
    Updated FAQ.

your welcome ;)
    servvs wrote:
    Ryx wrote:
    Updated FAQ.

your welcome ;)

Updated FAQ... to give servvs credit where credit is due.

>_>
    haha, I was just jking man, no worries. Anyone could have figured that out
  • zeidrichzeidrich Posts: 88
    edited November 2009
    Ctrl-Click anywhere in the level and click 'Start Here' to begin testing your level at that spot. Click the brown 'Play' icon (arrow) in the top left to test your level at the Player Start.

Once you're playing your level in the editor, how do you get out?

[e] Probably a silly question, it's the brown square in the top left corner.
  • zeidrich wrote:

Once you're playing your level in the editor, how do you get out?

you press the stop buttong at the top left corner
    Happy Hunting
  • AtheosAtheos Posts: 204
    I lost my "options" tab in the right window and can't get it back :?
    Atheos wrote:
    Click properties in the top left view menu, tell me if that fixes it.
    If it doesn't, try clicking properties again. If it still doesn't fix, let me know.
  • AtheosAtheos Posts: 204
    Ryx wrote:
    Atheos wrote:
    If it doesn't, try clicking properties again. If it still doesn't fix, let me know.

Nope - clicking properties and file explorer make those tabs appear/disappear in the left window, but I can't get options back.

haha.. I went back to "Level 1" troubleshooting.. closed/re-opened TorchED... it's back :oops:

probably something that should be in the view menu, but at least I'm back in action!
    Atheos wrote:
    Ryx wrote:
    Atheos wrote:

Nope - clicking properties and file explorer make those tabs appear/disappear in the left window, but I can't get options back.

haha.. I went back to "Level 1" troubleshooting.. closed/re-opened TorchED... it's back :oops:

probably something that should be in the view menu, but at least I'm back in action!

I just figured it out, if you have the options menu open and you detach it from the main window, and then the properties window opens, the options window is irretrievable. Requires a reset of the editor to fix.
  • ShardzShardz Posts: 1,384
    edited November 2009
    I'm trying to figure out how candle and torch props work. It appears as though they are "links" in the editor. It appears as those they are props with .layout extensions, so I'm assuming you merge these props into your map somehow. Hehehe! OH BOY, this is going to take some time to learn. :) Also, for some reason, every asset I add to the map creates its own group. I can't figure how to stop that from happening.

I did manage to throw this together from complete scratch in about 30 minutes, though.
    http://i33.tinypic.com/4uhp2h.jpg
  • MalakiliMalakili Posts: 183
    When I load chunks textures are generally missing, especially on floor pieces, anyone know anything about this?
  • Trying to understand Random Choice elements.

What does Type: Weight vs Random mean?
    Currently, I want to place a trigger that either spawns a reward, or a monster. I have
    Trigger (Triggered) -> (Roll) Random 
                                (One) -> (Spawn Units) Treasure Spawn (All Items Picked Up) -> (Reset Trigger)
                                (Two) -> (Spawn Units) Monster Spawn (All Monsters Dead) -> (Reset Trigger)

But what ends up happening is the following:

With my Random.CHOICES set to Five:0, FOUR:0, THREE:0, TWO:1, ONE:1 and Random.TYPE:WEIGHT, I get a monster spawn every time, and occasionally a treasure spawn.
    With the CHOICES set to the same, but TYPE set to Random, I get a monster spawn every time. I can't figure out how to set it up to give one, or the other, but never both. Heck, even one or the other and occasionally both would at least let me understand how it works. But currently it seems like it's "Always one, sometimes the other"

I'm sure I'm just not getting it.
  • OdonenOdonen Posts: 11
    I have a problem to add with a solution.

Something that has been plaguing a few of us for a few hours now... When you would test, it would always load a past version of your layout or a old layout previously designed.

Simply close the program, then Right-Click the program and 'Run As Administrator' and voila! problem fixed!
  • Ok, so ive been through the youtube tutorials no probs, but how do I increase my game play area? Im not sure if im phrasing it correctly, but there is a white dashed square (which I assume is the map limits) and i cannot go beyond. Currently, I can only build in a room about 25x25 and I cannot, for the love of it, find out how to expand my playground :( anyone help?

Also, separate question, can someone give me a quick tutorial on lighting? Nothing crazy, but a few torches would be nice
  • Odonen wrote:
    I have a problem to add with a solution.

Something that has been plaguing a few of us for a few hours now... When you would test, it would always load a past version of your layout or a old layout previously designed.

Simply close the program, then Right-Click the program and 'Run As Administrator' and voila! problem fixed!

Oh holy **** thank you. This was driving me insane. This should be in the OPs FAQ.
    Added two new topics in the FAQ.
  • AstacoAstaco Posts: 80
    I already built two doorways (Crypt:dorr_straight_01) with animated gates (on lever trigger).

Now I built a new room and added another door of that kind (without gate), but everytime I put a cap on the door (Crypt:cap_straight_01) I no longer can walk through that door. The other doors had this cap aswell, but no problems at all.

Any idea what's going on? I don't get it.

The selected cap on the screen is causing the problem:
    tldoorbug.th.jpg
    Gbrown wrote:
    [...] we've introduced a new feature: quirky ****.
    I'm working in a medium-sized team to create a free campaign for Torchlight.
    Try rotating it to be facing the opposite way
    if it's really getting annoying, turn off collision on it.
  • AstacoAstaco Posts: 80
    Ryx wrote:
    if it's really getting annoying, turn off collision on it.
    Awesome, thanks. Wasn't thinking of that option. Should be added to the FAQ ;)
    Disable collision on weird decorations causing errors which the character cannot even reach :)
    Gbrown wrote:
    [...] we've introduced a new feature: quirky ****.
    I'm working in a medium-sized team to create a free campaign for Torchlight.
  • Where do i save my dungeons so i can play them in my real game and not the editor?

IE i went thru the walk thru on creating a dungeon and putting a portal in town. However i am unsure where to save these files to play on my game... i see where to save them for the editor but that does not help me unless the game also pulls from the editor files.
    Where do i save my dungeons so i can play them in my real game and not the editor?

IE i went thru the walk thru on creating a dungeon and putting a portal in town. However i am unsure where to save these files to play on my game... i see where to save them for the editor but that does not help me unless the game also pulls from the editor files.

If you have a mod created and saved it will automatically appear ingame. To get it to stop appearing ingame, remove it from appdata\runic games\torchlight\mods directory

(Note: I'm not 100% on this, but the only way to figure out is trial and error, right? let me know if it works)