Control elemental particle effects for weapons

WolvenWolven Posts: 174
edited July 2014 in GUTS Community Help
Hi.

I'm wondering if any of you know where/how to control the particle effects for weapons which give elemental damage. I'm working on creating some daggers and they work just fine, except from the elemental particle effects. The daggers are just upside down swords, so when particle effects are applied they go the 'wrong way'. So, where/how can I make my daggers use different particle layout than the default once for swords? I can't find any obvious place in the Unit editor.

EDIT: The dagger does not work as the NORMAL_DAGGER unit type I created, the player won't attack with the daggers. I'll have to loo into this... But the question about the particles remains.
particle_problem.png

Additional info:
I have already created Spawn Classes and Unit Types, for the daggers and a new base_dagger.dat

The unit type:
[NORMAL DAGGER]
<STRING>NAME:NORMAL DAGGER
<STRING>child:DAGGER
<STRING>child1:WEAPON
<STRING>child2:TAKEABLE
<STRING>child3:ITEM
<STRING>child4:ANY
<STRING>child2:EQUIPPABLE
<STRING>child1:MELEE
<STRING>child1:ITEMCATEGORYMARTIAL
[/NORMAL DAGGER]

The base .dat:
[UNIT]
	<STRING>CREATEAS:EQUIPMENT
	<STRING>UNITTYPE:NORMAL DAGGER
	<INTEGER>MINDAMAGE:50
	<INTEGER>MAXDAMAGE:105
	<FLOAT>RANGE:0.5
	<STRING>FALL_SOUND:Item Fall
	<STRING>TAKE_SOUND:SwordGet
	<STRING>LAND_SOUND:SwordDrop
	<STRING>STRIKE_SOUND:SwordFlesh
	<STRING>ATTACK_SOUND:SwordSwing
	<FLOAT>STRIKERANGE:1
	<BOOL>DONTCREATE:true
	<STRING>GAMBLER_ICON:icon_weapon_dagger
	<TRANSLATE>DISPLAYNAME:NOSPAWN
	<STRING>ICON:icon_weapon_dagger
	<FLOAT>WEAPONARC:60
	<FLOAT>DEVIATION_FROM_30FPS:0.8
	<FLOAT>SECONDARY_DMG_PCT:25
	<INTEGER>RARITY_DMG_MOD:100
	<INTEGER>DEFENSE_REQUIRED:0
	<INTEGER>DEXTERITY_REQUIRED:0
	<INTEGER>MAGIC_REQUIRED:0
	<INTEGER>STRENGTH_REQUIRED:50
	<STRING>NAME:tla_base_dagger
	<STRING>UNIT_GUID:7423762714701904934
[/UNIT]

A dagger:
[UNIT]
	<STRING>BASEFILE:media/units/items/daggers/tla_base_dagger.dat
	<INTEGER>DAMAGE_PHYSICAL:70
	<TRANSLATE>DISPLAYNAME:Nightshade Dagger
	<INTEGER>LEVEL:3
	<STRING>MESHFILE:dagger_assassin
	<STRING>NAME:tla_nightshade_dagger_n01
	<INTEGER>RARITY:100
	<STRING>RESOURCEDIRECTORY:media/models/weapons/_Swords
	<INTEGER>SPEED:90
	<INTEGER>SPEED_DMG_MOD:100
	<STRING>ICON:icon_weapon_sword_zombie
	<INTEGER>STRENGTH_REQUIRED:45
	<STRING>UNIT_GUID:-2058887117518710694
	<INTEGER>SOCKETS:1
	<INTEGER>DAMAGE_POISON:30
	<STRING>UNITTYPE:NORMAL DAGGER
	<STRING>GAMBLER_ICON:icon_weapon_dagger
[/UNIT]

TorchModders - A community and resource hub for Torchlight Modders -

.: Collaborate on projects, share your knowledge, seek advice and improve the quality of your mods :.

Comments

• PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Hi Wolven! Im not the authority on this but as soon as i saw the pic what jumped out at me was how the theme particles are where the blade (of a sword) is supposed to be.

Which tells me the particle isnt attached to the weapon. I think its attached to the player but displayed where it believes the weapon is.

Maybe if you find the .layout for that unittheme you might edit it to change where it displays? Save it as a new unittheme and use that for your daggers?
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • Kva3imodaKva3imoda Posts: 984 ✭✭
    I think this type of particle is hardcoded for weapons.
    4ByzPdz.png 88pn2UZ.pngtrCrfep.png
  • WolvenWolven Posts: 174
    edited July 2014
    Phanjam wrote:
    Hi Wolven! Im not the authority on this but as soon as i saw the pic what jumped out at me was how the theme particles are where the blade (of a sword) is supposed to be.

Which tells me the particle isnt attached to the weapon. I think its attached to the player but displayed where it believes the weapon is.

Maybe if you find the .layout for that unittheme you might edit it to change where it displays? Save it as a new unittheme and use that for your daggers?
    Ah. You might be on to something there. I'll poke around and see if I can find out if the particles are linked to the players and not the weapons. Thanks for the fresh perspective. ;)

.: Collaborate on projects, share your knowledge, seek advice and improve the quality of your mods :.
  • WolvenWolven Posts: 174
    Kva3imoda wrote:
    I think this type of particle is hardcoded for weapons.

Oh. OK. If it is, then I'll have to look for a way around it... I know I can disable the elemental particle effects for weapons, so perhaps I need to do that, and then apply my own particles in some way.

• PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Im not 100% sure of where its attached! But im pretty sure its some kind of .layout somewhere, so it should be editable :P
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • gytfunkegytfunke Posts: 571
    Yeah, it's attached to the player. It's tag_lefthand or tag_righthand (sp?). There's no tag for weapons, afaik. But it matters little. Like Kva3i said, it's hardcoded somewhere.

What you could do is

a) Find where it's hardcoded and change it.
    b) Turn off the particle effects, like you said, then make custom affixes for your daggers that use a unit theme with elemental effects that are matched to their geometry.
    I tried a lot when I did my lightsabers. I think the best option is to use animation in a *.animation file for non-standard particles. In this file, it is possible to show/hide particles, show/hide parts of 3d model and more. Now I'm trying sort out this.
  • RnFRnF Posts: 1,000
    If you look at the item editor in GUTS for an item, you will see an area for an attached layout. Maybe you could create your own particle layout and attach it to your daggers that way? Should override anything else. Never tried it though, so not sure.
    RnF wrote:
    Maybe you could create your own particle layout and attach it to your daggers that way?
    This method works, but has a problem - "Delay/Floating" during animation.