Legendaries in the next Torchlight game.

ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
edited March 2015 in TL2 General Discussions
While Runic says they are working on something new & different as their next project I thought I'd mention something that I know has been mentioned before but that I haven't seen as a topic of discussion in awhile, and that's legendary items.

While the theme of many of the legendary and unique items in Torchlight I & II were a lot of fun I feel that random stats on themed legendary items as well as legendary items lacking truly legendary powers was a bit of a letdown, especially when we had great threads like Darktails legendary item idea thread viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43731&hilit=darktails+legendary providing a lot of cool suggestions.

Another great thread is this one http://forums.synergiesmod.com/index.php?topic=4240.0 from Salan's 'Synergies' mod forum. I think these items should be more worthy of the title 'legendary'. I also think that maybe instead of giving these items randon attributes they should have attributes that match whatever theme the item revolves around. This could inspire entire builds based around a theme.

I loved Torchlight II but lack of really, REALLY cool items is what made it difficult for me to stay into it, whereas I'm back into playing Diablo III (and having a lot of fun with it, too) because every so often I'll find a really cool legendary item with a cool effect on it. It makes playing the game so much more fun because you keep wanting to find more cool items. I recently got back into Torchlight II because of the additions Salan's mod made but vanilla Torchlight deserves to be much cooler.

I'm hoping that the successes of Torchlight I & II translate into Torchlight III being SO much better than the first two whenever it becomes a thing.
ItfooQF.png

Comments

• SerkevanSerkevan Posts: 1,586
    Zidders wrote:
    playing Diablo III (and having a lot of fun with it, too)
    *BLAM* HERESY.

J/K. Now seriously, it's disappointing how legendaries are... well, disappointing. Darktails had it nailed down, I remember the thread. We can only hope they up the ante with the next game and go beyond awesomeness.
  • DeeZireDeeZire Posts: 256
    Slightly off topic but relevant to the discussion, I've tried to address this in Unearthed Arcana as described at viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57897&p=494212#p494212
    Unearthed Arcana - Torchlight 2 Expansion
    viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57897
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    DeeZire wrote:
    Slightly off topic but relevant to the discussion, I've tried to address this in Unearthed Arcana as described at viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57897&p=494212#p494212

Your mod is fantastic. Between UA and Synergies I got a TON more out of the game than I would have. I just wish the vanilla game had been more impressive in this area. I want their base games to be that much more spectacular. In a perfect world modders would have so much more to inspire them & build upon.
    ItfooQF.png
  • MygafferMygaffer Posts: 123
    What they needed in Torchlight 2 were weapons with unique effects. Kind of like some of the guns in Borderlands 2, that shoot in strange ways not like standard weapons.
  • gold163gold163 Posts: 4,852
    Torchlight II has a few of those, but I don't think they're limited to a specific loot tier and they're all too few and far between. The vast majority of uniques are just items with better stats.
    cxNEL.png
  • RnFRnF Posts: 1,000
    Zidders,

I have an idea brewing in my head for another item overhaul mod that may truly fix this issue :D

I won't reveal any details now, but most of your issues can be addressed in TL2 and I think I know how.
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    RnF wrote:
    I have an idea brewing in my head for another item overhaul mod that may truly fix this issue :D
    sorry for the necro, but RnF has made progress on this.

sorry RnF for speaking out of turn! its just yours is one of those "game changer" mods that should be supported IMHO :)
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    Phanjam wrote:
    RnF wrote:

sorry RnF for speaking out of turn! its just yours is one of those "game changer" mods that should be supported IMHO :)

Necro's are fine when it adds something substantial to the conversation. Thanks for remembering this thread. I shall check out this mod.
    ItfooQF.png
  • RnFRnF Posts: 1,000
    Zidders wrote:
    Phanjam wrote:
    RnF wrote:

Necro's are fine when it adds something substantial to the conversation. Thanks for remembering this thread. I shall check out this mod.

Phanjam, no worries and thanks! I truly hope it is game changing, in a good way.

Zidders, the mod is still fairly raw, it's in ALPHA, but quite playable feel free to check it out. The core mechanic changes are in place. The Legendary changes I am making will take time and that phase has just started. This mod encompasses more than just Legendary changes though, which was necessary to help the Legendary items.