Blender to TL2 tools broken?

TrotimTrotim Posts: 107
edited August 2014 in Art and Sound
I found this post around here
I guess I'm stuck here:

I have Blender/Dusho's TL Mesh importer addon/OgreXMLConverter already and installed as instructed.

When I hit 'import' in Blender, it tells me

"file not found, no such file or directory" and then spits out the location of my .mesh file in the TL2 folder.
and I have the exact same issue. Making models for TL2 and importing them used to work fine, but I think with a recent Blender update the plugin refuses to work anymore?

How do you make models for TL2 now?

Comments

• Anarch16SyncAnarch16Sync Posts: 163
    I just keep using the 2.67 version of blender... The exporter doesn't work on the updated versions.
  • WolvenWolven Posts: 174
    edited August 2014
    EDIT:

Here's how I have it set up and working for Blender version 2.71:

The OgreCommandLineTools are in this directory: C:\ogre_tools

The io_mesh_TL plugin is in this directory: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.71\scripts\addons\io_mesh_TL

Note! I think that placing the plugin in the C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming ... directory is the part which got it working for me. I could not get it working when I placed it in: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.71\scripts\addons\

I think it's because of file and/or folder permissions with the C:\Program Files directory. Not sure. I also think I used the 'Install from File' option when adding the plugin to Blender, so it got placed there automagically.

Also note that the 'AppData' directory is hidden by default.

And this is from the _init_ file:
    # Path for your OgreXmlConverter
    OGRE_XML_CONVERTER = "C:\ogre_tools\OgreXmlConverter.exe"

As far as I remember this is all I did to get it working.
    TorchModders - A community and resource hub for Torchlight Modders -

.: Collaborate on projects, share your knowledge, seek advice and improve the quality of your mods :.
  • TrotimTrotim Posts: 107
    Nice, that got it to work again. I had to delete the plugin from the folder that wasn't \Roaming as well before doing Install from File.

Thanks!
    Great. That confirms my suspicions about having to use the Users dir and not the Program Files dir for the plugin.

Edit:
    For others not having done this before, I've written a quick and dirty HowTo: Torchlight to Blender Import and Export (Blender v.2.71)

.: Collaborate on projects, share your knowledge, seek advice and improve the quality of your mods :.
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Niiice Wolven! Sorry haven't been around Torhcmodders much lately - am up to (beyond) my eyeballs in work lately :evil: :cry:
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • gytfunkegytfunke Posts: 571
    Wolven, does it work for animations?
    gytfunke wrote:
    Wolven, does it work for animations?

I don't think so. I've spent hours trying to find some sort of .skeleton IMPORT plugin for Blender, but all I can find are EXPORT plugins. With the HowTo I've written you can Import and Export MESH files, but not animations.

I also found an EXPORT plugin for animations, but still no IMPORT. https://bitbucket.org/MindCalamity/blender2ogre

The closest I've gotten to finding a plugin which imports Ogre animation files is in this old thread: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... &start=100

There's a link to this old plugin: http://boder.games.googlepages.com/OGRE ... mporter.py

From what I read in that post, it should support animation IMPORT, but it's old and probably needs an update to ever work with a new version of Blender. If I knew how to code I'd look into it, but I can't, so...

I've also looked for way to get the .skeleton files, or the decoded .skeleton.xml files over to another format, which again could be imported into Blender, but I've found none.

I have no clue how to work with Blender though. I just managed to set it up for MESH import and export, so I could tweak some weapon models for TLA. That was the first time I've ever used the program. So there might be a way still... Plenty of others have tired though, when I search I keep coming back to posts in this forum, and then all the clues just leads back to successful MESH import/export, but still no success with animation import.

It's so frustrating. With the OgreXMLConverter we can decode and encode both .mesh and .animation files. We have all the data, just no way of putting it together in Blender. It should not be that hard though, for someone with coding skills and some understanding of Blender to get a working import plugin. Perhaps the old plugin I've posted here just needs some adjustments.

Edit. There's also this:
    MeshMagick is a manipulation tool for Ogre meshes (and skeletons) and is part of the OgreCommandLineTools(external link). It allows the user to query interesting information and to transform binary meshes (and skeletons) in many ways. It can also be used as a library.
    http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-ind ... MeshMagick

And a front end for the Ogre Tools: http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Joof
    Joof1.jpg