New Skill Calculator

RalromRalrom Posts: 4
Hello everyone,

I recently learned that the torchligh2armory website has gone down so I decided to make a skill calculator of my own. You can find it here: http://ralrom.github.io/tl2-calculator/

If you have suggestion or feature requests let me know!

Comments

• WolvenWolven Posts: 174
    Hello Ralrom.

Great work. Thank you very much. :)
    TorchModders - A community and resource hub for Torchlight Modders -

.: Collaborate on projects, share your knowledge, seek advice and improve the quality of your mods :.
  • ombraombra Posts: 1,008
    Looks very good!

Good Job! Thank you!
    Former Forum Nicks
    Hellgate London: Pumpkinnose
    Mythos: Sanguefreddo
  • Cool!

Edit: Also, thanks for open-sourcing it. Really awesome of you! :)
    BrianW
    Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/runicgames
  • WolvenWolven Posts: 174
    Ralrom wrote:
    If you have suggestion or feature requests let me know!

It would be nice if you could see what the skills did, including the tier bonuses. It's hard to remember all the skills, so you need to use another source to read the skill descriptions when you using the calculator for experimenting with builds.
    TorchModders - A community and resource hub for Torchlight Modders -

.: Collaborate on projects, share your knowledge, seek advice and improve the quality of your mods :.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    First off-this is very cool of you.

Second-is there a way to make this a stand-alone client people can download? Even if this isn't costing you much it would be cool if folks could snag this for themselves. This would increase the likelihood of it hanging around in some manner even if something should happen to the site (this would go great in tandem with Kva3imoda 's Torchlight II armory client viewtopic.php?f=30&t=59935#p495015 )

Third-
    Wolven wrote:
    It would be nice if you could see what the skills did, including the tier bonuses.
    ^This.

Having a skill calculator AND an armor on their systems would be a huge boon to the Torchlight II community in general. Thanks again for putting the effort into this-it's much appreciated.
    ItfooQF.png
  • Zidders wrote:
    Second-is there a way to make this a stand-alone client people can download? Even if this isn't costing you much it would be cool if folks could snag this for themselves.

Can just download the GitHub project and toss it up on a webserver. It'll run with zero configuration. ;)
    BrianW
    Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/runicgames
  • The Elemental Attunement skill has the Icon of Elemental Boon.
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Thanks very much for this Ralrom, its impressive work!

I too will second Wolven's suggestion about providing skill descriptions somehow.
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • Thank you all, makes me happy to see everyone liked it!

Changes

I've made some changes: I've modified the way the share link is generated and read so old share links won't work but since I had only shared the calculator a day ago I don't think this will affect too many people. I promise not to make this kind of change anymore :)

Other notable change is that the page URL is updated as you add skills; therefore, you will no longer lose your work if you accidentally refresh the page. (You can also hit the back button if you changed pages accidentally.) I've also fixed the Elemental Attunement icon, thanks for reporting that!

Skill Descriptions

I definitely would like to add skill descriptions. However, this will depend on how much time implementing it would take. I've already found the skill descriptions in the game files so that shouldn't be too long, remains to see how easy it will be to get the actual damage numbers. On the short term I could add placeholders for the damage numbers until I can get the actual values.

Standalone Client

As Brian has said you can put on a local webserver and run it. Previously I had a version that could run without a webserver, my problem with that was as I was adding skill information it was getting slower and harder for me to maintain. I've now switched to XML files which is also what the game uses, it makes my life much easier but requires me to put it on webserver for it to work.

Another issue with creating an offline version is that I have no way of sending updates. Suppose I released an offline version now, and added skill descriptions in a week, everyone who has the offline version would need to download the new version to get skill descriptions. You would have to do this for every change I make to the calculator so in the end I think it's simpler for me and you to have it online in a single location. It's hosted on GitHub which gives me free hosting for projects like this so there's no reason for me to take down the website any time soon!

I'm not sure about integrating it with the client. As of right now I don't intend on doing it, but my code is open source so if anyone wants to do it, they have the possibility.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    *nods nods* Cool beans. Thanks for open sourcing it. ^_^ *Would totally share his pumpkin cookies with you if he could*
    ItfooQF.png
  • NeantNeant Posts: 152
    Nice, but an easier way to bring the skill up to 15 would be much appreciated.
  • Kva3imodaKva3imoda Posts: 984 ✭✭
    I do not want to advertise, but you can always try TIDBI calculator here: http://tidbi.ru/eng/engineer.php?lvl=10 ... bYaaaaaaaa
    It is very convenient and we spent a lot of time to finish it. :)
    4ByzPdz.png 88pn2UZ.pngtrCrfep.png
  • Nice, thanks for the find Kva3imoda!
  • RalromRalrom Posts: 4
    Neant wrote:
    Nice, but an easier way to bring the skill up to 15 would be much appreciated.

Switched to a new interface, it's much easier now.
  • embermanemberman Posts: 729
    It seems like all the numbers are missing (mana costs and skill effect numbers). All I can see in the skill descriptions is the text description.
  • swirusekswirusek Posts: 3
    good work, everything works fine