[Not a Guide] x2: AA-Range / Runevaulter

universumuniversum Posts: 69
edited September 2014 in Outlander Discussions
Aloah,
this is a presentation of two specific Setups that hold no claim for originality, but are somewhat optimized and yield potential for fun, assuming that my personal preferences are similar to those of others.
So please, don't behold this as flashing news, as it is now 2 years after the release and this could have been posted 14-16 months earlier (if i had the courage to follow my impulse back then).

My motivation: After playing many obvious and mechanic-exploiting Builds in the early Months of Torchlight2, it became to me apparent that Borris+Limoany+Riechliu can make any Character Setup (pet masters are a bit different though) viable for the toughest challenges that the game throws at you. So while you can ignore anything that makes you even slightly overpowered, you can also use those tools like enchanting/items that are widely accessible to play Fun-Concepts. The Outlander setups that i want to write about, may be viewed as such (and are not necessarily Builds with the highest killing speed), although they are centered around certain combinations that can fit many other Outlanders.
Both Customizations are suited for a lvl 9x-100 character, that can easily equip most if not all of the End Game Items mentioned below. (also many Skills require a high level to be maxed)
This is [Not a Guide] how to play a Character, but if you struggle to implement some interpolation between a lvl1 Toon and one of the completed Designs from bellow, i suggest you play with means that make it easier and are a stable for most (Outlander)-players, like strong skills (Glaives/ Rapid Fire/Venomous Hail), Minion spells, farming/importing Grell eyes and other items, installing Mods; what ever suits you without compromising your play style.

The Ranged Auto-Attacker

At first (when i played tl2) i was very disappointed by the discrepancies between Auto-attacks and (Weapon-)skills, mostly because of the comparable lack of Damage that Auto-attacks do and because most skills are not able to convey HP/MP steal effects. But all 4 original Character Classes pack skills that enhance their normal attacks and the advantage of these attacks with Bows and Crossbows (and Pistols) is that they almost hit instantaneously and the trajectory's (if you will to call it so) distance can be enhanced through the affix '+x meters to Bow, Crossbow, Pistol and Wand range'. And since Outlanders have the Long Range Mastery, Poison burst, their very convenient and consistently beneficial Charge bar and many means to keep and influence foes at a distance, they simply seemed to be the perfect fit. Stacking '+x meters to Bow, Crossbow, Pistol and Wand range' can easily outgrow the default Zoom and View distance in flat terrains so i strongly advise to play this build (and other ranged builds) with a View/Draw Distance mod like Zoomy. And this is shall be the solid core of this Build, which is very simple and yet efficient enough to be played in EHC.

Skills

Essentials

Long Range Mastery (15) (RANGE!!!!)
Poison Burst (15) (AoE with Auto-attacks and Skills! I love this skill, it applies so many effects)
Share the Wealth (15) (Great Boost to Speed/Damage)
Repulsion Hex (5-15) (sustains the distance to Monsters, while your attention isn't present; lvl10 is enough for me)
Shadowmantle (15, if you can handle its Cooldown or have a duration mod for it installed, 0 otherwise i suppose :?) (An Arrow to the knee can end your Career!)

Optional Skills

(the First number in the brackets, is the Skill level that i use on my finished Character
a 1 is listed if the Skill is a great 1pt-Wonder and has rather unrewarding skill level scaling, x is as many Points as you would like)

Rapid Fire (0/10/x) (This skill is great while leveling and becomes very formidable with its TierII bonus: 12meters Range. Combine it with more Armor reduction! i respec'ed out of it, since i prefer much greater Range)
Rune Vault (1/x) (get away from unappreciated Hug attempts, each Tier with nice Boni and more Leap distance; i left it at 1, as it is merely a safety button to me)
Cursed Daggers (0/x) (a cheap Debuff/Buff/Marker)
Venomous Hail (15/x) (The most overpowered skill that i know of, the perfect Boss wrecker, i use it for immediate Threats in closer ranges: Tarroch's Tomb's End Bosses)
Tangling Shot (1/x) (nails most Champions and even some Bosses to the ground, 1 is enough for me, i rarely use it due to its range)
Dodge Mastery (11/1/x) (In the Case something gets a chance to hit you; 11 Points means that my Outlander has 74% Dodge Chance without any charge built)
Bramble Wall (1/x) (Great utility as Barrier and something to build Charge or to leech from)
Blade Pact (0/1/x) (a nice Debuff, too bad it only decreases physical Armor; the slow is great for kiting though! but i don't need it anymore)
Shadow Shot (0/x) (a Sniper shot, that has superior range early on; i don't like it because of its Slowness in Casting and Missile speed and unreliability of its secondary Effect)
Stone Pact (0/15) (Nice for the Heal and its other effects, but this Build will have plenty of %hp leech!)
Shadowling Brute (5/1/x) (temporary pet to redirect some Attention; i have it at 5 for the Dash attack)
Master of the Elements (13/x) (a little Damage boost where all my spare Points went; 'little', thanks to Borris ;))
Shadowling Ammo (0/15) (I would totally max it if it wasn't interfering with my precious Poison Burst!)
Death Ritual (15/x) (A Shadowling Brute with almost 100% up-time, sure! {minus annoying summoning animation})

All skills that have not been listed until now, could prove useful, but are not efficient within my preferred Play style with this Character and its Stat allocation (low Mana).

Stats

Everything into Str/Dex for max Damage and consistent Critical Strikes!
That means with Borris' Stat Enchants for my Character: 2095 Strength and 453 Dexterity (330/190 Base).
(is roughly around a damage optimized Str/Dex ratio and in the proximity of Dex giving no more returns to %Crit-chance, but i like consistently high Damage!)
(364 Dex are merely needed for the Dominion Pieces and some Vitality may be interesting until level 100 to wear a certain Set {Dragonrift}, see Equipment)
No Focus/Vitality since this Character is supposed to use Auto-Attacks most of the time and wear a (x-)Bow!

Equipment

Weapon - Bitter Moon is my Pewpew-of-Choice and its dropping was one of the Hints that i gave to myself to play such a Character eventually. Socketed with one Vellinque Skull and a Claptrap's Nut for consistent Damage and enchanted with 3times Poison Damage (ice would be also very viable here, but Bitter Moon already has this as basic Weapon Damage), i chose Crit-Chance as 4th Enchant (i have a total of 98% Critical Strike Chance with full Charge bar; thanks to Dex' Bonus to Crit, Equipment's Crit-Chance Bonus and Share the Wealth)
Since it is one of the First Set of Legendaries, it is fairly rare and hard to come by without modding/cheating. As alternatives i suggest the Serpent (with Claptrap's Nut + Skull of Whorlbarb + Giant Chaos Ember with Range bonus and Ice Damage enchants {for the slow} and Crit-chance or Crit-dmg) or the Neatherrealm Bow (socketed with Claptrap's Nut + Skull of Whorlbarb + Giant Chaos EmberS + Vellinque Skull and enchanted with Poison/Ice Damage + Crit-chance or Crit-dmg). Other (x-)Bows worthy of mentioning for and in this Guide are Susperia, Soulpiercer, Neatherrealm Crossbow, Corbucci's Fate, Crosshawk and 'any 25' (x-) Bows (the enchanting glitch where you can get an arbitrary number of 'kill 25 enemy Monster' affixes on a Green Weapon, which leads often to Attack speed / + x meters to Bow, Crossbow, Pistol and Wand range / Chance to cast Lightning on Strike - i used such a bow to rush through the last 17 character levels)

Armor

Everything is enchanted with Powerful Str/Dex boni and with HP as 4th enchant (and 1x HP-regen to counteract the HP loss of Hands of Orlac while being idle ingame). Socketed with enough Limoanies (11) to reach the 75%DR limit, 2 Zardon's Mighty skulls (more are worth it, especially if you play with the unmodified shadowmantleor even without it) and 10 Riechlius.
Furthermore (and this is crucial to this Build), i wanted to attain the 5Pieces Bonus from the Unearthly Set (+5m to Bow, Crossbow, Pistol and Wand range; the other Boni gained that way are also cool) and the 4Pieces Bonus from the Dragonrift Set (20%Health Stolen).

Boots - Unearthly Hikers - 10% Damage Reduction, hello? As an Alternative i had considered Dragonrift Sabatons with Movement speed or Resistance to Immobilization/Slow (both can be on one pair! but that is really rare) or HP.
Pants - Dominion Pants - 4% Crit-Chance and 20% Critical Damage bonus make them the Best-In-Slot for me.
Chest Armor - Dragonrift Cataphract with HP affixe(s), this one is more of a filler to gain the Leech Bonus from Dragonrift, but can have up to 1137 Health afaik. I Chose this over the Unearthly Hauberk with its Range and %HP bonus, since the other Unearthly Set pieces i had chosen are better and i had enough range already.
Helmet - Dragonrift Cervelliere with the 4% Crit-Chance + Manasteal affix. My alternatives were the Dominion Helmet (which grants another 1meter Range, 100% Slow resistance, 20% Poison Damage and 4% Movement speed but i found that piece too ugly and had already enough +Range), the Asphyx (a Sack-mask that can hold many Riechlius / Limoanies) or just another Dragonrift Cervellier with an HP affix would be ok, i guess.
Necklace - Dragonrift Amulet with HP or HP+FullyHealOnKill (i have this one) or 50% Immobilization/Slow Resistance (again both can be on one Necklace, and i list them here only for the probability that you are as careful/paranoid as i am). Alternatively the Pendant of the Pine is ok (with 25% Missile Reflect chance), but it is neither Part of Unearthyl nor Dragonrift and thus comes at the possible cost of having less HP/%DR. (Pendant of the pine + 2Ring of the Players are a great combo for other Outlanders or while leveling this one)
Right Ring - Unearthly Ring - 6% less Fumble Chance (together with the 15% from Claptrap's Nut) reduce our chance to fumble to zero! (even with 100%Fumble recovery from Dex, those fumbles do way less damage than Crits)
Left Ring - Dragonrift Ring with HP and or some Elemental Damage that your Weapon does not cover (to spread elemental status afflictions).
Shoulder Armor - Dominion Mantle - 10% DR (plus Cast speed and %Poison Damage) make this one BIS. (The Warmantle is an alternative if you are low on Mighty Zardon Skulls)
Dominion Belt - 8% Crit-Chance (and 3% Attack speed and 15% Health) make this one BIS.
Gloves - Hands of Orlac - 5sockets to round up the last Item slot (as 9 Item slots are needed to gain the 2 crucial Set boni). Alternatively Dominion Gloves (15% Missle Reflect and 40%Ranged Damage) or Dragonrift Gloves with HP could be chosen.
When deviating from the recommendations, pay attention that you still get the Set Boni: 5Meters to Range and 20% Health Stolen (that is {obviously} the reason that i don't use the mentioned Pendant of Pine + Ring of the Players {Lore Set bonus: 15% Immobilization for 8 Seconds} or the full Asphyx Set; but there are quite a few very viable rotations possible {in occupying item slots}).

Spells

Haste, Dervish, Concentration, Willpower (Alternatively Haste and 3x Dervish if you don't use a Duration Mod for those)

Pet

The Pet should have some decent Crowd Control/ Debuffs and Minions but this isn't so mandatory. Mine is a Mole (Giant Tunnel Shark), other Giant Fish are also nice.
Try to get some Shield breaking, Attack speed, %Chance for Poison/Freeze (the Jackalbeast has an inherent 50% Chance to Poison) and Armor Reduction on its Trinkets!
For its Spells i suggest Neather Imp (maybe even multiple Versions of it), Silence, Web (if your Pet isn't already a Spider) and Bee Swarm or Frost.
Put it on Aggressive to capture some Attention, far away from you ;).

The Runevaulter
(alias Beowulf {1999}, though mine is female and has a different Name)

Although this Character is very funny to play, (s)he is no Joke and shouldn't be underestimated! Like the platinum blonde Christopher Lambert, this Character cannot move by making normal steps but must do only back flips.
This means that Rune Vault is the main active Skill, and it should be spammed with high cast speed, thus this most acrobatic Outlander can become ultra fast and almost untouchable to Enemy Monsters.
However this great Potential comes also at the price of a difficult Handling that can be hard to adapt to. The problem is that Rune Vault is executed in the opposing Direction to where the Cursor is pointing.
But once the Great Art of Back Flipping is mastered and you intuitively know how to bypass certain terrain or how to avoid certain Teleporter Pads (yes, i am pointing at you: Tarroch's Tomb), you can laugh at anything in the Game, while flipping over it with impunity (much like Savage Rush abuse, but RV takes actual Skill to handle). Rune Vault is the only active Outlander Skill that can apply Stealing abilities as well as other Weapon Effects, and the simple act of observing it in awe can make any beholder blind (and Blindness is the best Status Affliction, as most Shotgonners know) - be sure to utilize these!

Skills

Essentials

Rune Vault (15) (why take it only at skill level 1 if you can center a whole Build around it? Have i mentioned how aweso... oh ok.)
Bramble Wall (5/x) (Another Great Skill, and RV is even cooler when performed over thorny Bramble Walls. 5 points for maximum duration, the ability to landscape any arena and build Charge/fill your Globes)
Dodge Mastery (13/x) (Enough Points into it to reach 75% Dodge Chance without the Charge Bar bonus and calm my Paranoia. But since your Charge Bar will be full most of the time, it is really a matter of personal Preference to decide how many Points you want to put in here)
Poison Burst (15/x) (Virtually increases the AoE of any %DPS Skill, and it applies even Steal Effects, a Must-Have for this Build)
Share The Wealth (15) (Yes? Oh, Yes, Please!)
Shadow Mantle (15) (Again, i suggest a Duration mod for this one, but nevertheless a great skill to deflect Missiles of Jealousy)

Optionals

Cursed Daggers (0/x) (Nice Utility for (De)Buffing/Marking, but i wanted to keep my Build as simple as possible to control the Skills more efficiently)
Vortex Hex (0/x) (I tried this Skill while leveling, but it draws too few foes in order to matter for me)
Shattering Glaive (4/x) (I had 4 Points left to toy with, so they went into this far reaching Glaive. Careful when putting more Points into this Skill, as Flee Chance does not exactly/always work to our advantage)
Venomous Hail (0/x) (Great skill that i used at some point until it felt too cheap, have a pistol ready for this!)
Sandstorm (15/x) (This Skill is great to spam and carelessly start the Back Flipping, Furious Back Flipping. I found it to have the best synergy with RV: i suggest you choose either it, Venomous Hail or Flaming Glaives to complement Runevault and Burning Leap)
Burning Leap (15/x) (My finishing Move, deals Huge Damage and can be confusing to use, because it is a forward leap)
Flaming Glaives (0/15) (Flaming Glaives can definitely wreak havoc in the right hands. Somehow it is very similar to Rune Vault, as it requires great awareness of terrain and cursor position and their interplay with your Toon, this one doesn't like narrow places)
Repulsion Hex (5/0) (Can be used to improve our Safety Zone, since this glamorous Athlete will have quite some fans, but sometimes it pushes them away before you can hit them with RV, so use it wisely!)
Shadowling Brute (0/x) (Are you into Summoning? I am not that much and prefer less friendly Units on my crowded Screens)
Master of the Elements (15/x) (A bit bonus Damage for my spare Points)
Shadowling Ammo (0/x) (Pets are nice. Zero Investment for me, because it interferes with Poison Burst and Pets are not really needed for this Build, nor can they keep up with my pace)
Death Ritual (0/x) (A must have if you want longer lasting Shadowlings)

An appropriate Key layout is key in managing your active Skills efficiently and maintaining a certain Sweep speed.

Stats

Strength to boost %Wdps and Crit-dmg, Dexterity for Crit-chance and Dodge, Focus mainly for Mana (as spamming RV can drain your pool quite fast) and to increase Spell Damage (Glaive-skills like Sandstorm, otherwise just invest into Focus until it stops contributing to your Mana pool, since Str boosts all %Wdps skills cohesively when your Weapon damage isn't merely composed out of magic Damage) and Vitality to Block (provided you are using a Shield).
This translates, thanks to Borris the Duke of Stat-deflation, into 999 Str (to get a basic 450% Crit-dmg bonus) / 397 Dex (364 is enough for Dominion, but i wanted a round 48% basic Crit/Dodge chance), 1128 Focus (everything else, that is gained through Affixes/Enchants on your Armor) and 209 Vitality (203 from 3 strong enchants on my Shield, 1% Discrepancy between Display on Item and Character Stats through rounding).
While leveling i suggest a main focus upon Dexterity and Focus and a bit into Str/Vitality, depending on your Weapon slot Setup.

Equipment

Weapon slot 1 - 2x Hammer of Retribution - just because proc'ing Glacial Strike is so Overpowered. This is obviously the Damage Slot and as such only Eyes of Aleera are socketed. The HoR in the Main-hand is enchanted with 3x Poison and 10% Crit-Damage Bonus (though 1% Crit chance would be also nice to get 100% chance) and the HoR in the Off-Hand has 40% Crit-Damage as enchants (3x Powerful Stat enchants would also serve well). I am choosing this Setup whenever i feel the need to obliterate Bosses and deal Huge Damage in very few Strikes (meaning Back Flips).
Weapon slot 2 - Iceshard Dominator + Parma's Coal-Burner - this is the Safety Slot, huge %Wdps (for leeching) and Maxblock. The Iceshard Dominator is socketed with a Whorlbarb Skull and a Vellinque (2x Whorlbarb would be also great), enchanted with 3x Poison Damage and 1%Critical Strike Chance (Ice damage and %Crit-dmg bonus are also viable here). Parma's Coal-Burner was chosen over a Netherrealm Shield and Shields with Casting speed (Chaos), just because you can reach Maxblock with it, without a Blocking spell; socketed with Riechlius and enchanted with 3x Vitality and 10% Knockback Resistance (as Block chance wasn't needed, but is usually the best 4th Enchant on Shields). Obviously there are many alternatives for the 2nd Weapon Slot, and since Rune Vault (and Poison Burst) can convey all kinds of effects and spells, you can pick what you like, pistols are favorable if you decide to use a projectile %Wdps skill like VH, or even a Shotgonne if 92%Blind isn't enough for you (and you wish to take Shotgonne Mastery).

Armor

3 Pieces of Aristocrat were needed for the **** Look and 2% Mana steal / 6% Cast speed Set bonus, and 4 Pieces of Dragonrift for 20% Health steal.
(The forming of this Build goes back to my second Tl2 phase {before and after the last official Patch 1.25.5.2 came out} and so it is somewhat optimized within a Framework where my taste and disliking of certain Items {and their looks} are relevant. And as such i don't think it's Equipment is ultimately {ofc. relative to my latest standards} optimized.)
All Armor pieces are enchanted with a combination of powerful Str/Dex/Foc affixes and Health (except for Helmet/Torso/Gloves, where %Cast speed was possible as 4th enchant). Also everything holds Riechlius and Limoanies (enough to reach 75%DR) and the Dominion Pieces are socketed with Mighty Zardon's Skulls.

Boots - Dragonrift Sabatons with each 50% Immobilization and Slow Resistance (this combination of affixes is very rare, and they look better than Aristocrat Boots imo); alternatively enchanted with HP/Stats. Or Unearthly Hikers (to take Limoanies in favor of Skulls of Riechliu out).
Pants - Aristocrat Pants with HP. This is why i chose the Aristocrat Set over Inquisitor, simply arousing especially in tandem with Back Flips. Dominion Pants are Stat wise better.
Chest Armor - Dragonrift Cataphract with Hp and Cast speed. There are many Alternatives to this one, since it is the most boring Item slot, except for the character Appearance, i chose the Dragonrift piece (Aristocrat looks better on male Characters).
Helmet - Aristocrat Helm with 16% Cast speed (oh i am so proud to own this); Alternatively 14% Cast speed + x.
Necklace - Dragonrift Amulet with HP/ 5% Chance to Fully heal Self on Kill, the same one i am using on the ranged AA Build. There are many not so overwhelming alternatives (see the AA Build above, for few examples), so this slot is used to get the needed Set Boni.
Right Ring - Dragonrift Ring with HP (almost 1300 is possible).
Left Ring - Ring of the Players because it has 10%DR; Or Dragonrift / Aristocrat Ring if you chose an Unearthly Hikers / Dominion Pants.
Shoulder Armor - Dominion Mantle is as mentioned above simply BIS.
Belt - Dominion Belt - again BIS.
Gloves - Aristocrat Gloves with 6% Cast speed (8% is possible) and 47 Focus (Str/Dex/HP would also do). Alternatively Dragonrift Gloves, if you have another Set Piece arrangement or simply don't like the Aristocrat Gloves look (what's not to like here, seriously?)

Spells

I use the same Spells like i use for the AA Build (they are simply my Favorites, especially with a duration mod): Concentration, Dervish, Willpower and Haste (although Haste is only good for the 7%Attack speed and not so great if you have to reapply it every few seconds). Dervish Dervish Dervish Willpower/Concentration is also an option.

Pet

Since this Character is supposed to be a Pseudo Melee Tank that can leech back, it is irrelevant what your Pet does; i have my trusty Headcrab.

-

I would love to show you this Outlander in Action via some Video, but until my PC (old Laptop) is capable of recording it with steady fps or some generous Individual posts some similar Build flipping all over the Screen, this simply won't happen.

So yeah, have fun when playing!

edit: What are your experiences with Sandstorm/Flaming Glaives/Burning Leap/Venomous Hail and Rune Vault? What is your preferred combination?
(9th October: changed two descriptive paragraphs at the top)
Aloah!