what rules do you play by?

spiffspiff Posts: 19
edited February 2015 in TL2 Hardcore Mode
So far, the only rule I've consistently followed is "no map re-rolling / no clearing an area more than once."

I'm curious to hear what personal rules the rest of you choose to follow.

It seems that the "best" strategy for HCE is to farm 25 eyes of grell, which does not seem like a very appealing strategy to me. "No map re-roll" prevents this strategy nicely. Maybe it would be sufficient to allow map re-rolling but to consider "eye of grell" a restricted item, and only allow 1 per character.

It seems that these forums are fairly dead, but I thought I'd at least try to start to start a discussion on rulesets. I've made a list of some rules that I've tried in various combinations for HCE attempts. Please share any rules that you like to follow, or any thoughts you have on the rules I've listed here.
  • no map re-rolling
  • no using NPCs / no using NPCs in town
  • no fishing / no fishing in town
  • no sharing items between characters
  • 1 eye of grell maximum
  • pet must be set to passive / no summons

Comments

• SerkevanSerkevan Posts: 1,586
    Never farm, never grind, never retreat, use what you have. That's how I roll, but then again I don't really enjoy HCE so I play SCV (yeah, I'm a scrub :P)
  • peti29peti29 Posts: 122
    On my EHC mage I use:
    - no farming (no map reroll (impossible anyway since I play singleplayer), no repeated clearing of areas - I might allow that though if I hit a wall)
    - no OP powers (no Prismatic Bolt for me)
    - no shared stash usage (I sometimes do put items into it, but never take)

On my VHC outlander I use:
    - no farming (as above)
    - no OP powers (no Glavie Throw for me)
    - no shared stash (though I might try a run with allowed shared stash usage later)
    - no firearms (and thus no Rapid Shot because it looks ugly with a bow)
    Neither Prisbolt neither Glaive Throw are that OP :/

Actually, they are pretty abysmal in terms of damage, they are just autohits.
  • peti29peti29 Posts: 122
    Well ok, perhaps they are not OP. But they are certainly too cheesy for my taste.
    PB is spammable autohit x4 with infinite range that applies 4 status effects. That combined with the brands is pretty effective. Just hide by a corner and wait for everything to die.
    I don't know the glavie by heart that much but if I remember well it's like the only skill that does poison damage and the outlander has very good synergy with poison damage. I remember a guy doing an EHC naked run using mainly GT.
    Both are flat damage skills btw which scale very good with a focus build.
  • embermanemberman Posts: 729
    Since glaive throw scales with player level, an easy and tedious way to make it super-effective is to outlevel your enemies, which is what happened in that EHC naked run. It gets outclassed in the endgame by Shattering Glaive in raw damage. As for poison damage, Venomous Hail is probably the best skill there but requires a ranged weapon and is limited by a cooldown.
  • ZoamelgustarZoamelgustar Posts: 123
    edited February 2015
    You are the walking dead
    you think your character is alive but he's already dead, sadly that's what I thought of almost all elite HC players I've seen online the last year and "weirdly" I've never seen them again online
    only one survived and beat the story on it's own with no outside help and he was playing glaive throw outlander, clearly the easiest build to play elite hc for me as you have heal/defense/debuff/buff/aoe all in a few skills

if frustration if your thing go ahead but elite HC is designed for two peoples only
    1) the ones that know exactly which skills are the best and use those not what they like, what items they need and where you get them
    2) the ones that have a high level in normal-veteran and equip their elite character (something almost nobody seems willing to do weirdly)

no rerolling is just wrong because some areas only appear when you re-roll, your "1st" world if not rerolled from the start will never have them
    the game unlike diablo3 has an horrible drop rate so if you hope to drop gear you are mad, tl2 is a game where you "build" your armor sets and weapons by selecting,socketing and enchanting them not relying on random drops that will never come
    the game is programmed to make you drop items for other classes if you haven't realized this you clearly haven't played the game long enough
    most of the items have a very limited "window of opportunity" and you can only drop-buy them at a certain player level

if you play to loose (which is the case in the posts above mine) or don't want to work (a small amount of grinding is required) you have ZERO chances, a zombie always want brains but it usually ends up with a shotgun shell to the head "know what I'm sayin ?"
    if you want to be seriously powerful (requirement to survive in elite HC) but still not cheat you have to reroll and if not kill-farm (grinding grell you only ever want to do it once it's slow and annoying as ****) at least shop-farm like I do in act 3-4
    you can get complete blue sets like that and whatever unique weapon you may want in a perfectly legit way

all videos made with "self found-bought" characters and they all survived long enough to beat the story, as for later...you have to grind items to survive after a certain level in elite HC and since I've already done that once (I use only one armor for all my classes) they will just stay around lvl50-60 forever
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-anID59FAFQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyV3CBqXa6M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r8EWxTFI30
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw0Av1sL4vk

you cannot run naked in elite hc you will get 1shot by anything that hits you even once, guy is cheating in one way or another but please share a link of this video I'm interested
    I know exactly what you can get and how much money you can drop legit in this game, 99% of the videos out there are either case 2 (see above) or use cheated items/money or external cheat applications
    Jesus.
    no rerolling is just wrong because some areas only appear when you re-roll, your "1st" world if not rerolled from the start will never have them
    Source. To my knowledge it's simply a matter of "pretty **** low spawn chance".
    diablo3
    Yeah. THAT game with a lot of good design decisions in regards to ah yes, nothing.
    the game is programmed to make you drop items for other classes if you haven't realized this you clearly haven't played the game long enough
    Statistically relevant data, please. You simply have a 75% chance of getting an item that is not for your class (barring all-class uniques). My own data collection shows this is the case.
    reason I'm the only player I have ever seen do it online in 2 years
    Because TL2 never suffers de-sync issues nor lag-related deaths [/Sarcasm]. There is a reason HC online is a no-go if you are intending to get a serious run.
    you cannot run naked in elite hc you will get 1shot by anything that hits you even once
    Unless it's reflected or dodged, though I agree it's pretty darn insane. Can't find the video now but the guy had some mad skills.
  • I don't talk to zombies
    Dude, it's you who necro'd a 4-month old thread.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭
    You know what's a great class to play?
    ItfooQF.png