New Character help please

LEDHeadLEDHead Posts: 5
edited February 2015 in Berserker Discussions
Hi,

Just started playing a bit of this game. Mostly offline, solo play, to blow off steam after a long day. Need some help, what say?

Ignore above, kindly tell me if below skill set-:

http://torchlight.ingame.de/torchlight- ... ,1,0,0,0,0

is good for Veteran (followed by Elite NG) run for what is basically a first time Berserker (have an Engineer at Act 3 in Normal)? I want to use Dual Claws and bash the holy bejeezus out of everything.

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• Berserker

This is a more streamlined build for you using the skills you have placed points on.
  • Hi,

Thanks for the response. I'm just curious about a few of the modifications-:
    1) is Battle Rage really that good that it needs to be maxed? I read somewhere that the bonuses apply only to your base damages.
    2) why only one point in Stormclaw?
    3) how come no Shadowbind? Isn't it almost mandatory in dealing with large groups of mobs?
    4) why only 1 of in Rampage? Isn't 4% a really low chance?

Thanks for your help :D
  • Well, after playing a bit (level 20 now, died 7 times, 6 in Frosted Hills itself -.-), I've decided to change the build slightly-:

http://torchlight.ingame.de/torchlight- ... ,4,0,0,0,0

Reasoning-:
    1) Shadowbind seems more reliable than Stormclaw.
    2) Wanted to bring Rage Retaliation to 1 sec between attacks. I noticed I get hit a LOT, and reflect equips really help. I assume this will help even more. Plus I heard it can proc Red Wolf too.
    3) Moar Executes.
    4) Had to sacrifice points from Shadowbind, but still kept it at 25% damage. Is 7 meter range okay, or do I need to pull points from Red Wolf n a couple from CSM to bring Shadowbind to 10?
  • LEDHead wrote:
    Well, after playing a bit (level 20 now, died 7 times, 6 in Frosted Hills itself -.-), I've decided to change the build slightly-:

http://torchlight.ingame.de/torchlight- ... ,4,0,0,0,0

Reasoning-:
    1) Shadowbind seems more reliable than Stormclaw.
    2) Wanted to bring Rage Retaliation to 1 sec between attacks. I noticed I get hit a LOT, and reflect equips really help. I assume this will help even more. Plus I heard it can proc Red Wolf too.
    3) Moar Executes.
    4) Had to sacrifice points from Shadowbind, but still kept it at 25% damage. Is 7 meter range okay, or do I need to pull points from Red Wolf n a couple from CSM to bring Shadowbind to 10?

You max Battle Standard not for the MP regen but for the passive dodge it gives you. I did not have Rage Retaliation on my Berserker and I got it all the way to NG 5+ Elite so it's not a skill that you have to put points on. 1 point if you really want to but you can survive without it.

I'll link you to some threads that is good for reading:
    Storm Claw vs. Shadow Bind
    Red Wolf

My thing with Shadow Bind is that it's an active skill and you have to constantly cast it on a new mob. That's wasted MP that you could have used casting Ravage. At least with Stormclaw, you just cast it every 40 seconds.

Rampage is a 1 point since it procs fast enough with the amount of times you are attacking.

Battle Rage is really up to you whether you want it or not. You can move it to Raze if you want for bosses.

This is in my opinion the core skills you need for a Berserker which gives you 31 points to place into skills of your choice to experiment with.
  • Thanks for the links, they were really helpful. I spent some time experimenting with Shadowbind, but I realized that while it's a cook skill, the time I take casting it in a mob gets me killed pretty easily, so I've left it at 1 pt and got Stormclaw to tier 1 bonus. Now this is the build I can finally be satisfied with-:

http://ralrom.github.io/tl2-calculator/ ... f0100f00f1

I took 5 points in Raze just for the added oomph for late game bosses. So far I just auto attack them to death, but I assume this may get tiresome later.
    Rest of it is basic auto attack fare.

Stat wise, I assume STR>DEX>FOC is the way to go? Got ~120 STR so far, with 53 DEX n around 40 Focus.
  • MilkMilk Posts: 6
    I know this is an old thread but the forums are pretty inactive.

Here is my auto-attack build: http://torchlight-tidbi.orgfree.com/eng/berserker.php?lvl=100&fm=32&skill=0F000001FF0F00F00F1E5000000E61

More than 10 points in Shred Armor is just a waste. Level 105 champions on Elite have roughly 4000 armour (around 5% reduction in DPS for an end-game berserker).
    Base attributes are 375/150/5/5. The high amount of dexterity makes it easier to equip Jade Goblet and Draketalon pieces.
  • ChunesChunes Posts: 67
    With a build like that, it really hurts to put any points in dex at all. I imagine that you spend 100% of your time in rage mode and so you don't need dex for critting. I guess there's gear, but I'd much rather put all points into strength.
  • MilkMilk Posts: 6
    Chunes wrote:
    With a build like that, it really hurts to put any points in dex at all. I imagine that you spend 100% of your time in rage mode and so you don't need dex for critting. I guess there's gear, but I'd much rather put all points into strength.
    If you pump strength, then all your (non-Draketalon) gear will require powerful dexterity enchantments.

High base dexterity allows you to be more lax with attribute enchantments. It gives you more freedom with no drawbacks.