Polearm Zerker Concept

LaionidasLaionidas Posts: 24
edited January 2015 in Berserker Discussions
After having respecced my multiplayer Polearm Outlander into a Shotgonne Outlander due to survivability, I have decided to build a separate singleplayer Polearm Zerker.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60361

I will be playing normal singleplayer, and the polearm concept and animations are more important that efficiency. That means I will pass on e.g. Eviscerate, because that skill's animation does not in fact involve your main weapon.

What I got set up so far is:

- Raze 15/15 (for raw single target damage)
- Rampage 01/15
- Cold Steel Mastery 15/15
- Red Wolf 15/15

Str:Dex / X:110

Ravage is an option, but might be redundant next to the "natural" AoE of my normal attack. I'm also thinking of:

- Howl 15/15
- Shred Armor 15/15
- Battle Standard 15/15
- Howl 15/15
- Northern Rage 15/15
- Shatter Storm 15/15
- Frenzy Mastery

The thing is, with Frenzy Mastery and Shred Armor, I don't know whether they're worth it, while the Northern Rage & Shatter Storm combo might require (a lot of) Focus in order to be effective

Comments

• gytfunkegytfunke Posts: 571
    Frenzy Mastery is awesome.

Shred Armor might not be so useful for a 2-handed zerker since it works best with fast weapons.
  • gytfunke wrote:
    Frenzy Mastery is awesome.

Shred Armor might not be so useful for a 2-handed zerker since it works best with fast weapons.

Ok, I will definitely get Frenzy Mastery. Concerning Shred Armor: I had totally forgot about that, but I will drop it completely. That taken into consideration, I've made some modifications:

PRIMARY:
    - Raze 15/15
    - Rampage 01/15
    - Northern Rage 15/15
    - Shatter Storm 15/15
    - Frenzy Mastery 15/15
    - Rage Retaliation 01/15

SECONDARY:
    - Red Wolf 15/15
    - Howl 15/15
    - Battle Standard 15/15
    - Stormclaw 15/15
    - Wolfstrike 15/15 or Shadow Burst 01/15

Str:Dex / X:152

The extra Dex would be because without Dodge Mastery on the Zerker, it will be harder to reach the dodge cap, those 32 extra points not spent in Str are not seriously gonna hamper your damage output, and they do allow you meet any in game polearm's Dex requirement: http://torchlight.wikia.com/wiki/The_Shardlance

I've picked Northern Rage over Permafrost because it has a better chance to freeze, thus syncing better with Shatter Storm, and has weapon DPS based damage. Since we're using polearms that have the highest raw melee DPS ingame, that should be a win. Similarly Stormclaw should prove to be a nice simple buff. Finally, I am not quite sure yet about whether to take Wolfstrike or Shadow Burst. I want either mainly for the movement and "ski'ing" across maps, but Wolfstrike looks like it has a lot of damage potential, being weapon DPS based too, and it appears to have superior movement qualities, as the distance covered increases with the tiers.
  • On Normal I'd be less worried about putting together a cohesive build and more worried about one with a lot of variety and flexibility. Having a grab bag of active skills to pick from will make the game a lot more enjoyable than having a well-built one-trick-pony.

Another thing to consider: You won't need either defensive or offensive force multipliers. Skills like Howl and Battle Standard work great on harder difficulty settings where long, drawn-out fights are a concern, but on Normal you'll be more worried about running out of things to kill. Similarly, a lot of the passives and several of the active skills boil down to a simple "do X more damage", which if things are dying in one hit anyways is completely wasted. Look for skills that help you hit larger areas, at longer ranges, or get mobs within your killzone.

Lastly, playing on Normal will let you get away with things you couldn't on harder settings. You'll never get a chance to use, say, Rupture on a "serious" character, and Rupture => Chain Snare is certified hilarity. Just remember to wear your bomb-proof pants.
  • Finished my Normal playthrough and have fixed my skills at:

- Frost Breath 15/15
    - Rampage 01/15
    - Northern Rage 15/15
    - Shatter Storm 15/15
    - Rage Retaliation 06/15
    - Wolf Shade 15/15
    - Battle Standard 15/15
    - Shadow Burst 01/15
    - Frenzy Mastery 15/15

Str:Dex / X:152

It pretty much turned out a Tundra build, but based on weapon DPS instead of focus, which works suprisingly well. I died a bit more often than I'd liked, but my ancient laggy PC (and casual playstyle) is to blame for that, much more so than the build itself. On a proper machine, for someone who doesn't go AFK in the middle of an instance to pour tea, I wouldn't be suprised if this thing was HCE viable. I am relying on (mana) pots a lot, but the finished build should get most the mana it needs from Frost Breath. I also discovered Wolf Shade,.. amazing! It's gonna be a staple skill for all my future Beserker builds.
  • Updating to present my final build in visual calculator format:

torchlight.ingame.de

_