Ember Hammer Engy

LaionidasLaionidas Posts: 24
edited January 2015 in Engineer Discussions
I recently build a somewhat odd double-sword Zerker, and it worked out great. However, I'm pretty much got it to where I want, so it's time for a new character again. As I lost interest in my Canoneer Engy fairly quickly (relied on bots a lot, which I found boring), I figure this would be a good opportunity to give the Engy class another time, though I'll stick with melee this time.

I intend to go full strength, equip 2H weapons for maximum weapon DPS, and then use Ember Hammer to benefit from that. I've seen enough of fire based builds, so I deliberately avoided Flame Hammer and Emberquake. THIS is the concept build. The thing I'm most in doubt about is whether I should drop Forcefield in favour of something else, Tremor perhaps? Forcefield is a great skill, but doesn't work very well in conjunction with Ember Hammer, since it consumed all charges the latter needs for maximum effect.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Comments

• SebiSebi Posts: 63
    For a very cool ember hammer dual wield buil check this viewtopic.php?f=45&t=52593

Also if you play on elite don't do it without forcefield ....auto attacks with supercharge provides enough charge for forfield ember hammer tremor....whatever you want.
  • Sebi wrote:
    For a very cool ember hammer dual wield buil check this viewtopic.php?f=45&t=52593

Hmmm,.. that actually doesn't work since Torchlight II Armory has been down for ages. It's the same problem as with many other builds on this forum really: if the OP doesn't include a clear description or schematic and it only relies on the Armory, it's pretty much useless.
    Armory worked at that time and the description is short because it is a second variant to a previous dual wield build that didn t have ember hammer and also the OP provides a link to the old in depth build, if you read carefully

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=44884

This is the initial build

As for the armory problem, that is no ones fault. But if you really want to, you can watch the video in the link I provided and just see the skills the OP uses. I strongly advise you to pay more attention to it as it is the most successful melee/ember hammer/tremor build around. Completely overpowered if done right. Personally I loved it.

Cheers
  • Sebi wrote:
    As for the armory problem, that is no ones fault.

No of course not, but it does make it difficult to actually understand a build if there's no other way to see the skills and/or stats distribution.

Regarding the build you linked to, it looks good, though I will not go DW, due to variety issues (the last character I played was DW). I am not quite sure why you'd need the 110 Dex. though. You're not relying on Crits. and, as an Engineer, you will not max out on dodge rate either at 110. You'd get some bonusses from it, but I am seriously doubting whether those point don't result in a better return if they're also dumped in Str.
    You're not relying on Crits. and, as an Engineer, you will not max out on dodge rate either at 110.

I cannot emphasize much dexterity matters....critical damage is the best thing for a strength based engineer. The OP knows what he is doing :)

Strength increases damage AND critical damage for up to 450% (500% with rambren skull or other equipment). So you end up doing 5x final damage. That's huge! Dexterity increases your chances for this to happen. The ember hammer from that build does 450.000 critical damage and he has 60% chance to crit. Use borris for stats. Put your leveling stats into strength and use Borris the enchanter to get AT LEAST 300 dexterity and even more strength. You will not be sorry, trust me ;)
  • Sebi wrote:
    You're not relying on Crits. and, as an Engineer, you will not max out on dodge rate either at 110.

I cannot emphasize much dexterity matters....critical damage is the best thing for a strength based engineer. The OP knows what he is doing :)

Strength increases damage AND critical damage for up to 450% (500% with rambren skull or other equipment). So you end up doing 5x final damage. That's huge! Dexterity increases your chances for this to happen. The ember hammer from that build does 450.000 critical damage and he has 60% chance to crit. Use borris for stats. Put your leveling stats into strength and use Borris the enchanter to get AT LEAST 300 dexterity and even more strength. You will not be sorry, trust me ;)

Hmmm,.. makes sense, but why 110? I know it's the sweet spot for Outlanders, because that's the point at which they can easily hit the dodge cap with Dodge Mastery and Borris. I have all my Outlanders at 110 Dex., and for Zerkers I usually look at gear requirements, but why 110 for Engineers, and not e.g. 100 or 120?