Custom skill tab icons - what am I doing wrong?

OSheeOShee Posts: 5
edited March 2015 in General Modding
Hi, this is my first post on this forum, first of all please don't pay too much attention to my English, it's not my mother language. I recently picked up GUTS and slowly I'm working on a new class. So I made custom skill tab icons, along with portraits to use later. I have them in .dds format and .imageset file, but whatever I try to do, I simply cannot change any skill tab icons in UI editor. After trying to change any icon it simply vanishes like if the guts couldn't read the file. This is how it looks like, I wanted to change first 2 images and this is the result:
http://i.imgur.com/ORdenSh.png

Everything is ok in Image Selection menu, it just doesn't go anywhere from there. Here's working selection: http://i.imgur.com/k1oCb6g.png

I spent couple of hours making skill tab icons themselves (I can use only basic functions of GIMP and MS Paint lol), and I really want don't want to count that time as a waste, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Its very strange but i have found that you have to have 2 sets of your custom icon files in the UI/HUD folder; one .DDS and one .PNG.

This works for me but i do not know why or how. Hope this helps you too.
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • OSheeOShee Posts: 5
    Yeah I already have a .png file there left over from before I converted it, I forgot about it though but it's there. Strangely, I can change character icons in player editor from the exact same file and it's working fine, but the UI editor fails me.
    What happened with me was I could assign the new icons in the UI editor in GUTS if I put just the .PNG image in the HUD folder, without the .DDS file in the folder yet (if I do this with the .DDS file first, either it doesn't show in the icon selector or it ends up badly mis-aligned :x )

I exit GUTS and only then do I put the .DDS file into the HUD folder. When I re-start GUTS I can then see my custom icons when I test-run the custom class in GUTS and test it in-game.

(It's possible I mixed it up these instructins also, so if doing the .PNG first doesn't work, try using the .DDS first and putting the .PNG in after)
    Torchmodders
    I've tried doing the following:
    - move .dds file to different folder
    - set the imageset file to point to .png
    - add the icons in ui editor
    - exit guts
    - put .dds file back
    - restart guts
    I tried it with .dds in the folder first, result is the same. I also tried copying ingametexturesheet5, renaming it and putting in my icons instead of the stock ones, but when I try to change them in editor it defaults to the original ingametexturesheet5.
    So, looks like I'm stuck on this one. Oh well, better spend some time on skills, UI can wait.

Anyway, thank you for you time Phanjam :) Unless you have some more ideas :>
    Yeah pasting my icons into texturesheet5 was what i did too.
    OShee wrote:
    :) Unless you have some more ideas :>

Lemme open up my mod where i did this, see if i can send you anything helpful...
    Torchmodders
    OShee wrote:
    - set the imageset file to point to .png

Okay, in my .imageset file, it's pointing to the .DDS still.
    Torchmodders
    I fixed itself after I reinstalled the game and guts, something must have been corrupted somewhere, odd, but works now and that's important. Thanks for trying to help :)
    Glad to hear its working! ;)
    Torchmodders