Minion Damage Calculation

burgusburgus Posts: 11
edited March 2015 in TL2 General Discussions
Hey there,

I wondered how the damage of minions (Sledgebot, Shadowlings etc.) is calculated, haven't found a topic about it yet.
All the minions seem to increase their damage based on the player's level, so is there any way to boost that damage with your stats?
For example, will Spidermines deal more fire damage if I boost my Focus?

Comments

• ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    1. Minion inherits player's level when created.
    2. Minion uses the damage graph specified in the DAMAGE_GRAPH entry in its dat file. Usually this is MINION_DAMAGE_BYLEVEL. If DAMAGE_GRAPH is not specified, it will default to DAMAGE_MONSTER/DAMAGE_MONSTER_EASY/DAMAGE_MONSTER_HARD/DAMAGE_MONSTER_VERYHARD based on the current instance's difficulty setting.
    3. You can compute the minion's base damage range by looking up Damage_Graph(minion_level) and multiplying by the MINDAMAGE and MAXDAMAGE entries in its dat file. Note that MINDAMAGE and MAXDAMAGE are percentages. (E.g. "MINDAMAGE:10" means you should multiply by 10%, not multiply by 10, to compute the base min damage.) If MINDAMAGE and MAXDAMAGE aren't specified, they default to 100%.
    4. The entries for DAMAGE_PHYSICAL, DAMAGE_ELECTRIC, etc. define the pro-rating among damage types. (E.g., Sledgebot has "DAMAGE_PHYSICAL:70; DAMAGE_ELECTRIC:30" so it does 70% of base damage as physical and 30% of base damage as electric.) They should add up to 100%. If not specified, they default to 100% physical. I have no idea what happens if you (as a modder) make these numbers not add up to 100%.
    5. If the minion uses skills, the damage for those skills is computed using the minion's base damage in place of WDPS.
    6. The minion is only affected by damage bonus effects that are applied to the minion itself. So, no, you cannot improve spidermine damage via focus. But you could, for example, improve Astral Ally damage by casting Elemental Boon near it, since Elemental Boon applies a bonus directly to the minion. (Note that Astral Ally and Elemental Boon are both terrible skills that you oughtn't use, they're just a convenient example here.)
    6.b. The one exception is that the "pet and minion damage" effect will benefit your minions even though it's applied to your character instead of to the minion directly.
    6.b.i. There's a possible bug here I haven't had time to investigate, and I don't believe anyone else has either. I know that the "pet and minion armor" effect does not do what it says it does. Rather, it only boosts physical armor. I suspect that the "pet and minion damage" effect may share the same bug. It should be relatively easy to make a mod to test this, it's just not high on my to-do list.

Aside: My still-not-even-close-to-finished Eternity mod makes minions work the way you want them to work. In that mod, minions inherit half of their owner's bonuses from strength, focus, and elemental damage bonuses at the time the minion is created.
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
  • burgusburgus Posts: 11
    1. Thanks for your very detailed answer
    2. I have to admit I really don't understand what you were talking about :D
    3. The mod sounds cool!
    4. So aside from +X% minion dmg items and some spells there is no way to affect the minions' power? It's a pity isn't it...
  • RetsRedsRetsReds Posts: 1,013
    burgus wrote:
    1. Thanks for your very detailed answer
    2. I have to admit I really don't understand what you were talking about :D
    3. The mod sounds cool!
    4. So aside from +X% minion dmg items and some spells there is no way to affect the minions' power? It's a pity isn't it...

Well, degrading enemies' armor and making them take extra damage works too so any skill and spell that debuffs your enemies is also important for a minion-based build. Anything from Tremor to poison-based weapons is vital with minion-builds.
    All in all - I find pet and minion builds to be the strongest and easiest to use in TL2 so don't worry - even tho only "+pet and minion things" affect their performance directly, it's still very easy (and fun) to create a powerful minion-based character. :)