Noob question about cheats

VonBlackVonBlack Posts: 2
edited March 2015 in TL2 General Discussions
Hello there!

I've recently started playing the game and I'm almost close to finishing it for the first time. I was naturally interested about the game's take on endgame and I eventually ended up reading over the forums on how to reset your skills, add gold and so forth posted on these forums. So my questions are:

1. Can you add gold and reset skills in normal play without any consequences ? I've heard there's a cheater flag which can also be removed but still.
2. Are the game developers okay with this ?
3. If so, why don't they just add an option to reset your skills and add gold to yourself whenever you want ? Is there any catch to downloading a cheat ?

Thank you in advance for your time and have an awesome day!

Comments

• WarTaakWarTaak Posts: 16
    Using Torchlight II Rapid Respec you can add yourself gold&reset your skills without getting flagged.

Are the game devs OK with this ? I'm not sure, but anyway, as long as you don't prevent other players to play the way they want, do whatever you want.

Now I really don't know they that added such a ... worthless way to respec ingame, I kinda guess it was supposed to add replay value to the game, like "oh you **** up your first char ? here, do another one" but in my opinion it's a failure. Not having a way to fully respec your char in an hack'n slash is a huge mistake, even Path of Exile has such a feature, even if it might takes months to do so.
    about adding gold, well, it's kinda obvious, it breaks the game. What's the point of having gold in a game where you could add it to yourself ?
    But atm there's no fully legit way to get enough gold, you just need to much, and that's because everything is too demn random. My stuff cost me around 550M gold and around 20/30 hours of pure enchanting. Now I'll admit it without shame, I, indeed, cheated that gold. Playing all alone, it took me around 50 hours to get 10M without using phase beast exploits and stuff, and I really wasn't going to farm for 3K hours just to get my set.

Now it's just me, some people will and some wont, again, as long as you respect others and they're way to play, you're free to do whatever you want.
  • ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    VonBlack wrote:
    Hello there!

I've recently started playing the game and I'm almost close to finishing it for the first time. I was naturally interested about the game's take on endgame and I eventually ended up reading over the forums on how to reset your skills, add gold and so forth posted on these forums. So my questions are:

1. Can you add gold and reset skills in normal play without any consequences ? I've heard there's a cheater flag which can also be removed but still.

Adding gold:
    1. Console command "MONEY X." Flags the character as a cheater. That flag can be removed by Rapid Respec (link is in my sig).
    2. Add directly with Rapid Respec. No consequence.
    3. Use a non-binding mod that makes the vendors pay a lot of gold for an easily acquired item. Flags the character as a mod user. That flag can be removed by Rapid Respec.

Resetting skills:
    1. Do it directly with Rapid Respec. No consequence.
    2. Use this mod. Flags the character as a mod user. That flag can be removed by Rapid Respec.
    3. Use a different character to console spawn respec potions then put them in the shared stash; withdraw from shared stash and use. No consequence (except that the other character is flagged as a cheater.)
    2. Are the game developers okay with this ?

Yes.
    Honestly we fully expected people to hack like crazy. With moddability, how could we not? That's the primary reason for a friend/block function.
    (source)

2. The devs are "old school" in that they believe in selling you a game that you are free to play as you see fit rather than "renting" you a game that you can play only so long as you follow their rules and they decide to keep the server running. If you don't like the way someone else chooses to play the game, simply put them on your block list. You are not forced to share a game instance, or even a server, with anyone you don't want to.

3. The devs acknowledge three important truths about trying to enforce a no-cheating environment:
    a. It does not work. No online game ever has succeeded in enforcing a no-cheat environment. What you really have is a choice between "democratic cheating" (everyone can cheat if they like) and "aristocratic cheating" (a select few with technical skill can cheat, and can sell the fruits of that to other players for real-world money.) Which leads to the next point...
    b. It comes with a lot of toxic side-effects: account theft, trade scamming, spam bots, farm bots, RMT websites, people hacking (and crashing) the game servers, viruses disguised as hacks/cheats, etc. TL2 doesn't have any of that ****. Counterintuitively, allowing people to cheat at will actually got rid of most of the worst behavior for online games.
    c. It's prohibitively expensive for a small company. The devs knew from the get-go that they could not afford to pay for a centralized server, a ****-ton of bandwidth, a moderator staff, and programmer or two on-call to deal with vulnerabilities/exploits ASAP.
    3. If so, why don't they just add an option to reset your skills and add gold to yourself whenever you want ?

Because the devs have a vision for how they think the game "should" be played. They don't force you to follow it, but they do steer you towards it by making it the default.

There was actually a pretty large debate about skill/stat respec before launch. Somewhere one of the devs (my memory fails me on exactly who) made a pretty thoughtful post about how decision-permanence is a key part of role-playing/character development as they see it. Obviously, I disagree. But they had reasons -- well thought-through reasons -- for making the defaults what they are.
    Is there any catch to downloading a cheat ?

I can't speak for anything written by anyone other than me. For all I know, they contain viruses/keyloggers/herpes/etc.

Obviously, I trust my own code. It's virus-free, mostly bug-free, and it automatically makes backups before messing with stuff.

The downside to using cheats is that it may short-circuit your fun. If you're primarily an item-hunter, spawning all the best items may give you short-term gratification, but you'll quickly find yourself with nothing left to do. If you're primarily a challenge-seeker, you won't have that problem. Know thyself.
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
  • NeophytoiNeophytoi Posts: 3,539
    Chthon wrote:
    For all I know, they contain viruses/keyloggers/herpes/etc

:lol:

(I know, I know, I'm guilty of violating forum etiquette by not adding anything substantive to the thread or contributing anything meaningful to the conversation... still, anything that produces a spray of coffee across my laptop by way of my nostrils deserves recognition!

+1 Cookies to Chthon! :) )
    never let your hatred of people who would bar you from the Inviolable House of Worship lead you into the sin of aggression: but rather help one another in furthering virtue and ****-consciousness, and do not help one another in furthering evil and enmity
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    Neophytoi wrote:
    guilty of violating forum etiquette by not adding anything substantive to the thread or contributing anything meaningful to the conversation

Since when has 'forum etiquette' ever stopped anyone around here from posting? lol
    I think about the only thing I ever worry about is not being too much of a **** and keeping my pony meme's in spoiler tags.
    ItfooQF.png