Linux: Turn your Humble Bundle installer into a .deb package

vv222vv222 Posts: 14
edited November 2015 in TL2 General Discussions
Hello fellow Debian users, Ubuntu lovers and Mint freaks!

Here you’ll find a script allowing you to turn your Humble Bundle .sh installer of Torchlight 2 into a .deb package, allowing to install it through DPKG and remove it through any APT front-end (apt-get, aptitude, synaptic, etc.).

You can find the scripts and the usage instructions on the following page:
./play.it : Torchlight II

Any return, be it a bug report, a suggestion, a request, a demand for clarification, an insult or a simple "thank you" is welcome in this thread.

I hope you’ll enjoy the comfort provided by this script as much as I enjoyed writing and tweaking it ;)
Have fun, and see you in the Estherian Steppes!

Comments

• PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    I know nothing about Linux (this is for Linux, right?) but this seems an important development to me.

Thanks for your work vv222 and for sharing!
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • vv222vv222 Posts: 14
    Phanjam wrote:
    I know nothing about Linux (this is for Linux, right?) but this seems an important development to me.
    Yep, it’s for Linux only. It will appeal to a "niche" only, because it works on only some distributions (those based on Debian), but these distributions are the most popular ones with newcomers to Linux (Ubuntu and Linux Mint especially).
    Phanjam wrote:
    Thanks for your work vv222 and for sharing!
    You’re welcome, it’s not usual to be thanked by someone who doesn’t really need my work :D

In a nutshell, this script works toward a better integration of Torchlight II into the system, including an easy install/removal, menu entries, automatic dependencies management, global installation on multi-users system and this kind of stuff.
  • blackout23blackout23 Posts: 178
    Mhh on Arch this is much easier.
    https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/torchlight2-hib/

$ cower -d torchlight2-hib
    $ cd torchlight2-hib
    Place the *.sh in this folder
    $ makepkg -si

Done.
    blackout23 wrote:
    Mhh on Arch this is much easier.
    https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/torchlight2-hib/

$ cower -d torchlight2-hib
    $ cd torchlight2-hib
    Place the *.sh in this folder
    $ makepkg -si

Done.
    I wouldn’t call that easier than my method:

$ wget http://www.dotslashplay.it/scripts/fr/play-torchlight-2_humblebundle-2015-04-01.sh
    Place the Humble Bundle .sh in the same directory
    $ sh ./play-torchlight-2_humblebundle-2015-04-01.sh

Done ;)
    Everything under "Advanced usage" in the opening post should not be needed for "regular" use of the script.

What makes Arch really better on this point, is that it has a system (AUR) for easily distributing these scripts to a wide audience.
  • XT00MeluzbXT00Meluzb Posts: 9
    Arch has a nice package system built into it <3 pacman, I kind of broke the system way to much trying to customize it how I would have liked my system with it somehow, so went back to Debian. Void looks way more interesting though if only it were more stable~~
    Opening post updated, with now a link to a guide that should be easier to read and understand.
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the extra effort vv222!
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF