Newbie Questions

ExplorerRowanExplorerRowan Posts: 2
edited May 2015 in TL2 General Discussions
Hi, I'm new, to the game, to these forums, and even to this genre of game. But it's really pretty, and what I've played so far is fantastically fun, and I get an alpaca, so I'm rocking it this weekend and seeing where it takes me.

I do have some questions that you veterans might be able to answer:

I'm playing **** mode, even starting out, since it seems like no risk cheapens the reward, you know? But I've noticed that my dead characters aren't automatically deleted, and that their stats and loot stay with them. Does that mean that there's some way or reason to bring them back, like say a "raise dead" scroll that a new character could find?

I'm interested in playing online with folks, but it seems like most people online play with mods, specifically the Synergy mod. Is that a good one? Should I go ahead and run it from the start to get used to it? Also, should I level up a bit in single player first and then join an online game, or can I start it online?

Is there a roleplaying community on the online games? Like actually trying to play the character type of thing?

Thanks!

Comments

• ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭

I'm playing **** mode, even starting out, since it seems like no risk cheapens the reward, you know? But I've noticed that my dead characters aren't automatically deleted, and that their stats and loot stay with them. Does that mean that there's some way or reason to bring them back, like say a "raise dead" scroll that a new character could find?

In HC once they're dead they're dead. They stay in the save files unless you delete them. You CAN resurrect them using a program like Rapid Respec. I think they do this to minimize the chance of a bug nuking your save.
    I'm interested in playing online with folks, but it seems like most people online play with mods, specifically the Synergy mod. Is that a good one? Should I go ahead and run it from the start to get used to it? Also, should I level up a bit in single player first and then join an online game, or can I start it online?
    I would play the vanilla game a bit just to experience it the whole way through before jumping into mods because mods like Synergies change a LOT. Same goes for online-start with vanilla. You can always find folks to play with via this forum or through the /r/Torchlight sub on Reddit.
    Is there a roleplaying community on the online games? Like actually trying to play the character type of thing?
    I've never seen any rp groups based on Torchlight. You could always look around or try to start your own, though. :)
    ItfooQF.png
  • SerkevanSerkevan Posts: 1,586
    First things first, welcome to the forums! Hope you have a good stay, though it's a bit dead at the moment since Runic are completely silent about their next project (tease us a bit, Brian, damnit!).

As for the questions: characters stay there as a memorial of sorts; there is not way to revive them without using the console.
    I haven't really played Synergies, but it's certainly popular. Though I'd recommend beating the game without mods first, then fine-tune the experience to suit your preferences. Also, you can play single player or multiplayer at any time, so whatever floats your boat there :P.
    About RP'ing, I haven't really done it myself, and I'm not sure if folks do it. I do try to stick to character archetypes however, just simply with builds and whatnot.

EDIT: Beat me to the punch, Zid XD.
  • gytfunkegytfunke Posts: 571
    Hey ExplorerRowan,

You'll find more vanilla online games on softcore vanilla. Not many people play **** online, especially not with people they don't know. Playing online with mods is something of a headache since you have to have exactly the same mods in exactly the same order to be able to play together.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah hehe welcome to the forum
    ItfooQF.png
  • ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855

Nope, dead is dead. It's possible to hack them back to life (see Rapid Respec in my sig), but there is no in-game way to revive them.

Many people swear by Synergies. It's not really my cup of tea. Like gytfunke says, finding strangers for **** is tough to do.

Not that I know of, but I've never really looked.
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!