Quick/Dirty Method For Testing New Skills

PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in GUTS Community Help
Hello everyone!

I'd like to get suggestions about how to test newly made skills. The scenario is: you've set-up a new skill maybe just level1 and you want to test it without having to add it to any unit.dat file OR having to put it into any skilltreeoverride.layout file.

Is there some way to do this in GUTS?

Thanks for any help!
Torchmodders
Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF

Comments

• gytfunkegytfunke Posts: 571
    Not as far as I know, PJ. You've got to at least link it to the unit. You can skip adding it to the skill tree override if, in the unit properties, you set the skill's level to at least 1.
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Heyya gyt, thanks mucho!
    Okay I'll make a dummy class where I'll attach the skills for testing. Well, at least I won't have to mess around with the skilltree layout just yet :P
    Torchmodders
  • loleschlolesch Posts: 85
    what about a dummy skill triggering other skills. you just have to link the dummy to your player.dat and skilltree once and change the linked skill to your test skills... should work... though its a little late
    loleschHud Mod
    upcomming: THE torchlight expansion :D
    Hey Lolesch! Thanks for the input and late is better than never :D
    Torchmodders
    some console commands :D

SKILL name/index = type just skill to see a list of skills. Type the number or the name of the skill to make active on the player.
    SKILLTEST = different in the command skill, this will allow you to execute any skill even if it wasn’t intended for your character.
    loleschHud Mod
    yes agree totally with gyt - this is very useful info! Thanks Lolesch!
    Torchmodders
    you're wellcome :D

I was just reading through the console commands getting big eyes on these! didnt knew them before.
    I found them in a Guide called "List of Console cheats" by Zorlac on Steam
    loleschHud Mod
  • todotodo Posts: 1
    lolesch wrote:
    some console commands :D

SKILL name/index = type just skill to see a list of skills. Type the number or the name of the skill to make active on the player.
    SKILLTEST = different in the command skill, this will allow you to execute any skill even if it wasn’t intended for your character.

hey, sorry to necro this, but does anyone know how to make the SKILL name/index command actually give skills that aren't level 0?
    Like I've been wanting to test out monster skills but it only adds skills at rank 0, and I can't level them up, short of going through the whole process of manually adding the skill to the skill tree, etc

even when I use it for extant player skills I run into the same problem [eg SKILL TELEPORT ALT gives me a 0/15 frost phase, with no way to level it up to test it]
    Hi todo! Monster skills dont really have levels (their damange increases are driven by other variables, most likely affixes). And the other skills youre trying to call are proc skills which also dont usually have levels.

With skills like those im afraid theres no other way but to write them up into full-blown skills.
    Torchmodders