Runic, whats up? News on the next project?

ArunasArunas Posts: 27
edited September 2016 in TL2 General Discussions
Please? It's getting lonely and cold out here

Comments

• PansapienPansapien Posts: 3
    I would also like to express my interest in obtaining knowledge on said topic.
  • ArunasArunas Posts: 27
    Apparently you and me are the only ones interested, so there is obviously no reason for them to do anything.
  • BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,310 admin
    We're working on it. It's still super secret, though!
    BrianW
    Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/runicgames
  • WolvenWolven Posts: 174
    Arunas wrote:
    Apparently you and me are the only ones interested, so there is obviously no reason for them to do anything.
    There are plenty of fans awaiting news about the new game from Runic. I personally hope for another installment of Torchlight.
    TorchModders - A community and resource hub for Torchlight Modders -

.: Collaborate on projects, share your knowledge, seek advice and improve the quality of your mods :.
  • gytfunkegytfunke Posts: 571
    Wolven wrote:
    There are plenty of fans awaiting news about the new game from Runic. I personally hope for another installment of Torchlight.

Yeah, another game in the Torchlight world would be great. Even if it's not an ARPG.
  • SheepsiegeSheepsiege Posts: 53
    BrianW wrote:

It would be a great gesture on Runic's part to at least give a vague or rough estimate on when you plan to reveal the new project.

It would be a tremendous boost to the morale of Runic fans worldwide :).

It's getting close to 3 years now since TL2 was released, and not a single detail about the secret new project yet.
    khcEt.jpg
  • D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭
    Sheepsiege wrote:
    BrianW wrote:

It would be a great gesture on Runic's part to at least give a vague or rough estimate on when you plan to reveal the new project.

It would be a tremendous boost to the morale of Runic fans worldwide :).

It's getting close to 3 years now since TL2 was released, and not a single detail about the secret new project yet.

Soon(tm*).

Welcome aboard the Runic hype train where everyone is saying are we there yet, how about now.

* Trademark belongs to Blizzard. Soon means anytime from now to the end of time and beyond.
    "Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
  • RetsRedsRetsReds Posts: 1,013
    The sooner they reveal something, the better - fan-bases are not eternal. ;)
    I too personally hope for TL3 but I doubt it actually - if it is TL3, why keep it a secret? I don't know, we'll see. :)
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭
    RetsReds wrote:
    fan-bases are not eternal. ;)
    Tell that to Trekkers.
    ItfooQF.png
    Zidders wrote:
    Tell that to Trekkers.

Different types of entertainment. Stop making Star Trek movies/shows for long enough and even Trekkers will disappear. And besides - I'm not saying that the TL2 fan-base will be gone in one or two years (I certainly won't), but simply that it'll greatly diminish.
    RetsReds wrote:
    Zidders wrote:
    Tell that to Trekkers.

Different types of entertainment. Stop making Star Trek movies/shows for long enough and even Trekkers will disappear. And besides - I'm not saying that the TL2 fan-base will be gone in one or two years (I certainly won't), but simply that it'll greatly diminish.

I could understand if it had been decades since Torchlight II came out but we're not even three years after it was released. It's not an unreasonable amount of time to go without hearing news of a game and the fact that they needed time to port the game has to be factored into that as well. I'm not saying they shouldn't mention what they're working on before it comes out but hype is a very tricky thing. Mention something about it too early and the hype train could run out of steam before it reaches the station.

I think waiting and maybe losing a few peoples interest is a lot less risky than saying something early and then **** people off by making them wait. Runic has made that mistake in the past and ended up dealing with a lot of negative feedback for it so I think they're making the right call by playing it close to the vest.

The problem is no matter what they do someone is going to complain. Game development seems to involve a lot of 'Damned if you do, damned if you don't'. Most gamers are fickle and even when you give them a ton of information they'll still find something to give you grief over. I'm guessing this is why we don't see the devs on the forum a ton. Even when they're honest and forthright some people give them a ton of **** for it. That doesn't mean they shouldn't communicate with us more just that I can understand their reasoning.
    ItfooQF.png
    Zidders wrote:
    The problem is no matter what they do someone is going to complain. Game development seems to involve a lot of 'Damned if you do, damned if you don't'.

True that. I guess you're right. I mainly meant that of the 2 mil (or was it more?) people that bought the game, about 80% were gamers who just played 50-100 hours, moved on to other games and will soon completely forget about TL2 (I don't remember many of the games I've played). But maybe I'm just overly pessimistic as usual. :) Still - if they are working on something else and not TL3 (something that is so early in development that won't be ready for another year or two), that means we won't see TL3 in the next 4-5 years, so that's a 7-8 year gap between TL2 and TL3 ... just seems a lot to me, that's all. :)
  • SerkevanSerkevan Posts: 1,586
    Hey, I've only got around 100 and something hours and I'm gonna be as hyped as the next guy for the upcoming game! *Pouts*.
    In all seriousness, though, I think they did an U-turn, as Zids said. They gave out a lot of info on TL2. And people, when some of that (release dates and pre-orders mainly) turned out to be a wee bit more complicated than expected the RAGE set in.

Now I feel bad because I was among the ones who told them to be a bit more cautious when releasing information and I'm getting a full tablespoon of me medicine :(
    Serkevan wrote:
    Hey, I've only got around 100 and something hours and I'm gonna be as hyped as the next guy for the upcoming game! *Pouts*.

So you've basically spend more time in the forums than in the game? Coo! :P
  • SerkevanSerkevan Posts: 1,586
    Well, I spent a good amount of time on GUTS too... and I played torchlight quite a lot offline so Steam doesn't track it. It's probably over 200 now that I think about it. STILL LESS THAN THE FORUMS THO.
    RetsReds wrote:
    Serkevan wrote:

So you've basically spend more time in the forums than in the game? Coo! :P
    ...the forums aren't part of the game? O.0
    ItfooQF.png
    Zidders wrote:
    ...the forums aren't part of the game? O.0

I said it's cool! :P
    BrianW wrote:

Here I am a year later, can we expect something now?
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭
    Well you've been away a year :P

The new game is called Hob(http://www.hobgame.com/), it was revealed shortly after you posted.

You can find the news on Hob here:(first and second page)
    http://www.runicgames.com/about/press/
    Omnifas wrote:
    Well you've been away a year :P

The new game is called Hob(http://www.hobgame.com/), it was revealed shortly after you posted.

You can find the news on Hob here:(first and second page)
    http://www.runicgames.com/about/press/

Yes I knew about that, I was expecting this wasn't the "secret" they were talking about. Anyway, it's been a year since the reveals and we still have no dates? :(
  • It is best not to reveal info too early. Hype dies out. Best to just work on the game and six months before release start your PR. Fans may whine about wanting to know what is going on but why do you really want to know? So you can sit around and wait?
    Arunas wrote:
    It's been a year since the reveals and we still have no dates? :(
    [/quote]
    If you've been watching their Twitter, Facebook and forum you would have seen that they've been showing the game off at various entertainment expo's. Torchlight II came out in 2012. Four years isn't an unreasonable amount of time to make a game especially when they initially started working on different game and then had to adjust and make something else after two key people went off to do their own thing.

Personally I'd rather them take as long as they need to develop the game and release it when it's ready. It's not like there aren't plenty of other games to occupy my time.
    ItfooQF.png