Erich's Top 1 Helpful Hint for Torched

mediumheadboymediumheadboy Posts: 101 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2010 in General Modding
I've used this editor a lot, to do a lot of different things, and I'm not that technical a guy. So here is my one tip that isn't directly mentioned in the top 10 sticky...

1) When creating anything (new monster, spawnclass, item, skill, etc.), the easiest and safest way to do it is to copy an existing thing of the same type.

Most modules in the editor support "cloning", so you can right-click an existing "thing" from the left-hand panel and choose "clone". Then just rename it and go wild.

Comments

• MagosMagos Posts: 30
    Thank you Erich Schaefer =].
  • Cheers, I'll bear that in mind.
  • Yep. I didn't know how to "copy a skill and paste it" by "saving as" last night and I ended up spending way too much time creating a new skill with all it's little events and affixes from scratch. It taught me alot, but it would have been so much easier just to copy an existing skill and edit the values.
    Arguing over a video game? That's just silly.
  • Another note is that you can copy any thing on screen by holding/pressing the shift key and moving the object, this will make an exact clone of that object.
    For example if you wanted to tile a whole room with one lava tile you could hold shift and press the arrow keys until the whole room was covered.
  • ugmojoeugmojoe Posts: 186
    I've used this editor a lot, to do a lot of different things, and I'm not that technical a guy. So here is my one tip that isn't directly mentioned in the top 10 sticky...

1) When creating anything (new monster, spawnclass, item, skill, etc.), the easiest and safest way to do it is to copy an existing thing of the same type.

Most modules in the editor support "cloning", so you can right-click an existing "thing" from the left-hand panel and choose "clone". Then just rename it and go wild.
    Amen to that! I spent hours trying to manually create a new player class and was barraged with constant crashes, until this morning when I thought, "hmm... clone hey, I wonder what that d... Oh wow! It worked!" :D
    Cheers,

Dan (ugmojoe)

web: daniel.walsh-au.com
  • This tip is simply brilliant in it's incredible simplicity.
  • KalasKalas Posts: 19
    This tip is simply brilliant in it's incredible simplicity.
    QFT. I couldn't agree more. Thanks!
    This is a signature virus. Please copy and paste into your signature to help it propagate.

Ravenis - My super awesome gaming blog!
  • Oh man, thanks. lol I've been beating my head against a brick wall here trying to get items to work. This tip got'em working. I wonder why a newly created items have this problem? Is the editor not making them correctly? Don't know.

This tip works! Thanks.
  • Nice idea - question: lets say I wanted to clone the EPIC Sword of Ancestors and mod it - where do I find it? Where do I find its textures so that I can change the colors and add details etc?

Thanks.
  • FaydFayd Posts: 57
    Copying recipes doesn't appear to work for me...I posted something in the technical support forum for TorchED explaining what I saw.
    [Mods]
    Arithmancy
    Thaumaturgy
    Geomancy (A bugfix to both Arithmancy and Thaumaturgy)