Is this game dead?

Disposition96Disposition96 Posts: 96
edited September 2015 in TL2 Hardcore Mode
I just downloaded it again yesterday, died four times all before level 10 and came here for some tips on HCE beginning and the forum has two days full of bots and most posts are from months ago. :/ Runic had to have made a killing off this game, yet no updates, no news, no nothing... What happened?

I thought maybe this game could re-ignite my missing desire of 9.5 years of Diablo II because I can't seem to find anything that comes close....

Things that Diablo II did right :

Loot farming was always fun, it was easy to get a good character, hard to get a perfect one.
Each class felt to their own, nothing was really mix matched, each class wasn't trying to be more than they should be, a barbarian was a barbarian, a druid was a druid, a sorc was a sorc.
There was VLLD, LLD, MLD, Regular Duelz, **** there was even Open Realm Hacked Duelz to see who had the biggest E-Peen.
There were glitches but they were fun! Teleporting in to black space for example!
Skills were also fun, leaping to places other people couldn't go, nova sorc's in 1.09 melting cows, FOrb sorc's in 1.10, hurricane druids, feral druids, trapsins, multishot amazon, strafezon, auradin, you could make what you wanted and succeed if you tried hard enough.

Why can a game that old still have a following but this game is two years old and the forums are dead? All I want is basically D II wrapped up in new graphics, a dungeon crawler that was mid-fast paced where you blew stuff up and got awesome loot, something that I could play for a couple hours here and there and have fun.

Comments

• embermanemberman Posts: 729
    The spam is a problem but in spite of that there are people who check these forums at semi-regular intervals even if they don't post (there is not much to post about). If you have actual questions go ahead and ask them.
  • SerkevanSerkevan Posts: 1,586
    If you want D2 wrapped in shiny coat, I'm afraid you won't find it. The game feels different, because it is.

The forums are not exactly dead, so any actual questions will be answered, quite fast probably. I wouldn't recommend HCE from the get-go though, the game is, unlike Diablo, stupid hard on the first playthrough on Elite.
  • BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,308 admin
    Sorry about the spam! We've been getting attacked much more than usual over the past week or so, but things should be at least a little bit better now since we made some security changes.
    BrianW
    Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/runicgames
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭
    All I want is basically D II wrapped up in new graphics
    Then the closest you're going to get is D3. They've made a ton of improvements. It's really a rather fun game to play. I loved Diablo II but what made it special was the particular group who made it and the conditions they made it under as well as the time period they made it in. You're never going to see the likes of it again. That being said there are a lot of people out there who play this. Have you posted here before? Tried finding people to play with here or on Reddit or on the Steam forums? Gotten your friends into it? Can't wait for the party to come to you. Get out there and look.

That and D2 has the same kind of following. Most people play it single player or with the same folks they've been playing it with since forever. There aren't a ton of folks playing it online anymore and haven't been for awhile.

a dungeon crawler that was mid-fast paced where you blew stuff up and got awesome loot, something that I could play for a couple hours here and there and have fun.
    But..that's what Torchlight 2 is >.>
    I dunno...I mean there's always Path of Exile or you can play Diablo II. It still looks and plays awesome.
    ItfooQF.png
  • Disposition96Disposition96 Posts: 96
    Zidders wrote:
    All I want is basically D II wrapped up in new graphics
    Then the closest you're going to get is D3. They've made a ton of improvements. It's really a rather fun game to play. I loved Diablo II but what made it special was the particular group who made it and the conditions they made it under as well as the time period they made it in. You're never going to see the likes of it again. That being said there are a lot of people out there who play this. Have you posted here before? Tried finding people to play with here or on Reddit or on the Steam forums? Gotten your friends into it? Can't wait for the party to come to you. Get out there and look.

That and D2 has the same kind of following. Most people play it single player or with the same folks they've been playing it with since forever. There aren't a ton of folks playing it online anymore and haven't been for awhile.

a dungeon crawler that was mid-fast paced where you blew stuff up and got awesome loot, something that I could play for a couple hours here and there and have fun.
    But..that's what Torchlight 2 is >.>
    I dunno...I mean there's always Path of Exile or you can play Diablo II. It still looks and plays awesome.

I agree that's what TL2 is but they tried to be "something else" too, strange characters, way too cartoony, I'm playing it but it's not quite the same feel.

Thanks everyone. :) I am going to play through HCE as my first characters until I succeed, it's part of how I play haha.

I bought this game the day it came out, the strange characters are what have thrown me off... that and the cartoony effects, I don't know, just not my style but I'm bored so I'm going to try again. :)

So what's Runic working on right now?
  • embermanemberman Posts: 729
    Different strokes for different folks. I find the graphics in Diablo 3 boring as there is too much gray and brown and black as the entire thing is just dirt and sand and stone and mud and it is not very appealing (and then when you get Act 4 "heaven" is yellow and white and equally boring and on top of that sterile). When I want to relax with a game that's not what I want to look at. Torchlight at least gives me pretty colors without overdoing it. Stylized "cartoony" graphics age better because texture resolution and polygon count are less of relevant when you aren't trying to be super HD realistic in the first place.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭
    way too cartoony

In comparison to Diablo II? We're talking about the game with this guy, right?
    latest?cb=20120808030256

Yeah that's not cartoony at all hehe
    ItfooQF.png
  • lombylomby Posts: 56
    HI!
    just today I started a new HC character.

Is people still playing?
    6glkyr.jpg
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Hi Lomby!

Most people who ask the question in the OP seem to base it on how many online games they see. But in my opinion, if you count the offline single-player games which you can't see, I'd say no this game isn't dead.

:)

EDIT
    i guess you can say the forums are near death :P
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • lombylomby Posts: 56
    I dont say its dead, I just want people to play with
    6glkyr.jpg
  • GeistGeist Posts: 128
    I don't know about ****, but there's definitely still a multiplayer presence.
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    lomby wrote:
    I dont say its dead, I just want people to play with
    Im sorry Lomby. I didnt mean that you were one of those saying its dead (altho when i read my post again, that is what it sounded like).
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • I just downloaded it again yesterday, died four times all before level 10 and came here for some tips on HCE beginning and the forum has two days full of bots and most posts are from months ago. :/ Runic had to have made a killing off this game, yet no updates, no news, no nothing... What happened?

I thought maybe this game could re-ignite my missing desire of 9.5 years of Diablo II because I can't seem to find anything that comes close....

Things that Diablo II did right :

Loot farming was always fun, it was easy to get a good character, hard to get a perfect one.
    Each class felt to their own, nothing was really mix matched, each class wasn't trying to be more than they should be, a barbarian was a barbarian, a druid was a druid, a sorc was a sorc.
    There was VLLD, LLD, MLD, Regular Duelz, **** there was even Open Realm Hacked Duelz to see who had the biggest E-Peen.
    There were glitches but they were fun! Teleporting in to black space for example!
    Skills were also fun, leaping to places other people couldn't go, nova sorc's in 1.09 melting cows, FOrb sorc's in 1.10, hurricane druids, feral druids, trapsins, multishot amazon, strafezon, auradin, you could make what you wanted and succeed if you tried hard enough.

Why can a game that old still have a following but this game is two years old and the forums are dead? All I want is basically D II wrapped up in new graphics, a dungeon crawler that was mid-fast paced where you blew stuff up and got awesome loot, something that I could play for a couple hours here and there and have fun.

I love D II. I've been replaying it for the last month, and one thing I've come to realize is that without Bots it'll litarlly take you years to find half-way decent gear, and if you make it to Act 5 on NM without even decent gear you'll get raped. But I still love D II. And usually I play TL2 on Singleplayer but when I want to play with people I'll host a game and usually forget I'm even hosting until a person joins, then another. As of the last week, when I started a new char, there's been a whole page of games up.