[WIP] Outside Tileset 0.2 & Blender Export Tutorial

servvsservvs Posts: 131
edited December 2009 in General Modding
So ive decided to create my outside tileset with the crypt tileset as it looks very much like a castle and what not.

My plans are to make a quest line here and have new weapons, armor, and a story. I will try to re use as much as I can that came with torchlight so that the download file isn't so large, but I will still make it look unique. What do you guys think so far?

Updated pic with shadows and heavily modified grass particle:

outside-2.png

Things to do:

1. Fix shadows on walkable tiles - Fixed :D
2. Add many more tiles
3. Add a few more trees so it doesn't look so bland
4. Create new models for weapons, armor, and random props
5. Create new shrines
6. Create story
7. Release

About fixing shadows, you must have _shadow after the name of the material to make it have shadows
Example:
material crypt_tileset/crypt_dirt_shadow
{
	technique
	{
		pass
		{
			ambient 0.588 0.588 0.588
			diffuse 0.588 0.588 0.588
			specular 0 0 0 0
			emissive 0 0 0
			texture_unit
			{
				texture dirt12.dds
			}

}
	}
}
NOT
material crypt_tileset/crypt_dirt
{
	technique
	{
		pass
		{
			ambient 0.588 0.588 0.588
			diffuse 0.588 0.588 0.588
			specular 0 0 0 0
			emissive 0 0 0
			texture_unit
			{
				texture dirt12.dds
			}

}
	}
}
Oh and their is no heightmap associated with TorchLight in any way, so I will have to create more tiles to give the appearance of the world not being completely flat.

Comments

• That's just awesome!

Can the terrain slope gradually at all?
  • servvsservvs Posts: 131
    Illimitus wrote:
    That's just awesome!

Can the terrain slope gradually at all?

It can if I make slope tiles. I am thinking it is going to take a lot of slope tiles to actually give the effect a heightmap would give you.

The one thing about this mod so far is, every outside tile piece will use the same texture for the dirt. The grass is actually just an opaque decal that I made. I plan on making many more decals as well. I also thought about making a particle grass system that way the grass can have a waving motion in it (to imitate wind) and have a lot of it, but since this game is all about low requirements, I haven't decided yet.
  • DushoDusho Posts: 988
    nice work servvs..
    so you made those tree models on your own? maybe place the branches lying from top to bottom - as main view is from top
    regarding shadows - is that terrain walkable? you have collision mesh associated with tiles? there was some post from dev, that tiles with _noshadow are without shadow and are not walkable, so just for some 'props' in background
    and btw. I played with particles a bit - grass is already there in TorchED\media\particles\atmosphere\grass.layout
    keep it up..
    ehm.. you're using still Blender? there was nice tutorial how to import data and evidently you manage to export some models.. you feel like completing that tutorial for export? it will really help some people
  • Looks great so far. I agree with Dusho that any tut would be terrific.
  • Maybe instead of concentration on making new models for Weapons etc.. you can maybe just try to make different tree types and bushes and ground textures :)
    One major thing here though. The tree models are included in torchlight, I am just using them. I do plan on making some of my own tree models with a bit higher detail, but these are fine for now.

@Dusho, the terrain is walkable and I use the same collision tile that the crypts main floor uses, I jsut can't figure out shadows with it.

Im going to my mom's house here in a few minutes but when I get back I will write a tutorial on how I export models and stuff (I haven't tried with any animations).
  • According to the "levelset import export tutorial" pdf in the source download you need to have "_shadow" after the name of any material that you want to receive shadows. However I have not yet managed to get it working even with that, so there is probably more to it. I am coming across many bugs/gripes importing custom content, so I certainly wish you luck!
  • locklerelocklere Posts: 255
    Looks awesome, can't wait to see more.

& it has no heightmap?... no wonder Ember Lance **** on staircases.
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
  • did you make any tiles custom yourself, would you be willing to write a quick and dirty how-to? just a small post here so I know where to get started.
  • Brandonn wrote:
    did you make any tiles custom yourself, would you be willing to write a quick and dirty how-to? just a small post here so I know where to get started.

"levelset import export tutorial" in the source zip, why not read that, it covers all the basics?
  • perfect start, thanks
    Brandonn wrote:
    did you make any tiles custom yourself, would you be willing to write a quick and dirty how-to? just a small post here so I know where to get started.

I won't go into great detail on that as I have had a few problems and the way I did it is probably not the way most people will do it or should do it. The modeling aspect was easy, create a plane and make a texture, but the adding it to torchlight was different. I have yet to read any tutorials or documents that runic has given us so I did it the best way I could figure out.

As for exporting ogre3D meshes in blender:

Step 1: Go get OgreCommandLineTools - http://sourceforge.net/projects/ogre/fi ... ols/1.6.0/
    a. Install

Step 2: Go get Blender Ogre Mesh Exporter - http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Blender_Exporter (I use the one in the SVN, not the zipped on)
    a. Install to your scripts folder
    b. Run Blender, hit export ogre meshes
    c. Click preferences and look at the top, you will see OgreXMLConverter, make sure the location to OgreXMLConverter.exe is correct and click ok

Step 3: Create your model

Step 4: Press CTRL + A and hit scale/rotate to obdata or something like that

Step 5: Hit export ogre meshes
    a. Choose directory to export to
    b. Make sure OgreXMLConverter is selected
    c. Click on export

Step 6: Test your file with either a mod or cegui mesh viewer http://tuan.kuranes.free.fr/Ogre.html

May or may not work:

1. I have not tested skeletons
    2. I have not tested animations
    3. I have not tested blenders materials (I modify the material file it spits out)

Your model should now be usable in torchlight, its up to you to create the model and decide what you want to use it for though :D
  • can you post video tutorial for part 1 or screen , because i can not found "export ogre meshes" or something like mesh file File > export
    I use python 2.6 , Blender 2.49b and Orge comandline. I also download Blender Ogre Mesh Exporter , but how to install it to blender :?:
    can you post video tutorial for part 1 or screen , because i can not found "export ogre meshes" or something like mesh file File > export
    I use python 2.6 , Blender 2.49b and Orge comandline. I also download Blender Ogre Mesh Exporter , but how to install it to blender :?:

With export ogre meshes, I was referring to the script that you install to blender. Im not sure how your script directory is set up but it should be C:\Program Files /Program Files(x86)\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts

Just extract the files into that folder and it should be installed
  • Great idea! I m really looking forward to new areas like gras, snow/icy or desert. I hope you go on and might consider doing some other tilesets too.

Greetz
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭
    Looks great, but with all the spell effects, grass particles, etc, will it cause much of a slowdown, specifically for those running it on lower-end machines? At any rate, it's coming along really well....can't wait to see some outside maps!

Maybe someone could make the area where you enter town a portal to the outside, make it so that you could explore the 'wilderness'. I can see great potential here in adding whole new areas to explore and quests involving the outlying areas. It wuold be like a combination of diablo's tristram and caves, and diablo II's wilderness (as an example).
    ItfooQF.png
  • NICE! this reminds me so much of Diablo 3 demo gameplay when they go out into the wilderness. I think this will be the start to a grand project(s). It certainly brings alot more variety and space
    Well, ive been experimenting and this is beginning to become very difficult. Im having problems making sloping tiles connect to flat pieces and even with cliff walls. Its a huge headache and when I do release this, anyone who wants to use my tiles is going to have the same problems. Even the collision is messing up for some of the slope tiles. I think the best way to do it is to create a huge chunk and piece them together. This would not be a tileset though, so im not sure if I want to do that.

Let me know what you guys think I should do.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭
    Not being familiar with the editor, i'm not sure exactly what the largest size of tile is you can use...what about creating something like a wall model, only have it gently sloped, as well as sloped corner pieces that connect to the hillside-like sloped 'wall' pieces? maybe if you made a staircase and had it built into the side of a hill, with sloped hill pieces on either side? Maybe an IM to one of the devs might bring you a solution to this issue, or at least let you know wether the editor will let you do that sort of thing.

From the bits of the caves i've seen, there appear to be short ledges that seperate one level from another, with slight ramps leading down from them....man, I hope you find a solution. An outside area would be really cool.
    ItfooQF.png
  • SiNSiN Posts: 36
    waiting for the skeleton now while changing the model to low poly

udonge1.jpg
    -SiN--0.png
    #1 Indonesia osu! clicker
    Well I have some decent cliff tiles now (normal wall size). But I need to add variety to my texture so it isn't so bland. Also, ive been thinking about the height and slopes and what not, and I may just have to scratch that idea. I will use larger tiles that will have inclines and what not but individual tiles will take a while to accomplish, not to mention the headache it will take to place them together.

One problem I am having with now is caps for top tiles on walls. Ive tested many methods for collision with these, and they just don't seem to like me, lol. I'll have to play around a bit more with that.
    Got a few pieces to show.
    A cliff overhang thing, and the cliff face walls, I have quite a bit more work to do though, but figured I would let you guys know im still working on it. And about the cliffs, its more of a test thing, I plan on making some that go in and some that go out that way it has some noise in it and not just a straight flat cliff wall.

outside-3.png
  • you should make a large open grassy area, and then put ordrak in the middle with skeletons that amass when you kill him in 4 corners and you'll have yourself a diablo 3 boss fight
  • IrbisIrbis Posts: 251
    i will personaly make my sister do you a **** if you'll manage to finish this *_*
    no, seriously - she's hot
    "Hey, sis... check this out!"
    "Where are your pants? OHMYGOD IS THAT A CACTUS?"
    "I'm almost to Ordrak... hold on... "
    "I'M CALLING THE POLICE!"