How to launch Synergies without mod launcher

spartan123spartan123 Posts: 5
edited June 2015 in TL2 General Discussions
So I want to play with my friends over lan, with game ranger but first I need a way to launch the Synergies mod directly over the game shortcut. I have tried this method:

you can create a shortcut of your torchlight II in your desktop then right click -> Properties. On the target tab, add MODSCHEME=mymods.txt So it will look like this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Torchlight II\Torchlight2.exe" MODSCHEME=mymods.txt. Mymods,txt is a notepad saved in your C:\Users\[YOUR COMPUTER USERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2. The content of the text file is this:

[mods]
<STRING>MOD:SynergiesMOD
[/mods]

^And that method does not work properly, it launches the mod but the launched mod isn't actually working in the game. Any help please ?

Comments

• SerkevanSerkevan Posts: 1,586
    How come you can't launch the game with mod launcher? I have never encountered that problem...
  • Serkevan wrote:
    How come you can't launch the game with mod launcher? I have never encountered that problem...
    I can launch the game with mod launcher, but I can't play over game ranger that way.
  • ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    First, your question makes no sense. Playing over LAN is not an impediment to using the mod launcher.

Second, there's no official documentation on the MODSCHEME switch. I googled for the method you describe and all I could find was some rather dated posts on piracy-related sites. Again, just use the mod launcher.

If you really, really want to bypass the mod launcher, my brief experiments show that the following works:
    • 1. Create a new file in your game data directory, which is usually "C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\". The name or extension of the file does not appear to matter.
    • 2. The format of the file should be unicode text with a byte order mark. (Notepad++ identifies this encoding as "USC-2 Little Endian.")
    • 3. The content of the file should look something like:
      [MODS]
      <INTEGER64>MODGUID:8988961953812371337
      <INTEGER64>MODGUID:1050576443496022046
      <INTEGER64>MODGUID:2182541902522683514
      [/MODS]
      FYI: The mod GUIDs in my example are for "ExtraCharacterIcons(UC)," "Better Orbs," and "Rakanishu!". Figuring out the GUID for the mod you want to use is an exercise left to the user.
    • 4. Invoke TL2 with "Torchlight2.exe MODSCHEME=<filename>", where <filename> is the name of the new file you created.
      The program looks for the file in the root of the game data directory.
      If, for some reason, you don't want to put your file in the root of the game data directory, relative paths are acceptable, but absolute paths do not work.

Edit: Simpler workaround:
    • 1. Start the game through the mod launcher and configure the mods you want.
    • 2. Exit the game.
    • 3. Invoke the game again using "Torchlight2.exe MODSCHEME=modlauncher.sch"

If that's too complicated for you, again, use the mod launcher.
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
  • Thanks for the reply, the edited method worked, but now I have another question: can that be done on the Torchlight2 executable file in the game directory, or can it only be done on a shortcut ? Since Gameranger asks me to find the game executable, and I guide it to the shortcut where I made that ''MODSCHEME=modlauncher.sch'', but it still only opens the original Torchlight2.exe in the game directory :(

So what I'm asking is, is it possible to do 'MODSCHEME=modlauncher.sch' on the Torchlight2.exe ?
  • SerkevanSerkevan Posts: 1,586
    Yeah, I've played once or twice over GameRanger* without problems. I'm fairly sure it was with a couple mods but I wouldn't bet on that; mostly I just play with the standard method, which is Internet... because your friends and you own the game, right?

*For testing purposes, actually. That was two years ago when there were heavier desync problems. Turns out it didn't help much.
  • Nevermind, I will simply use Tunngle, gameranger ****.
  • ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    spartan123 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, the edited method worked, but now I have another question: can that be done on the Torchlight2 executable file in the game directory, or can it only be done on a shortcut ? Since Gameranger asks me to find the game executable, and I guide it to the shortcut where I made that ''MODSCHEME=modlauncher.sch'', but it still only opens the original Torchlight2.exe in the game directory :(

So what I'm asking is, is it possible to do 'MODSCHEME=modlauncher.sch' on the Torchlight2.exe ?

Again with the questions that don't make sense. The question you mean to ask is whether Gameranger supports command line switches. And the answer to that is that I neither know nor care to know.

As a general Windows matter, you can use command line switches anywhere you can type them -- in a shortcut, in a command prompt, in a bat file, in a CreateProcess() subroutine in another program -- and they will work. Gameranger almost certainly uses CreateProcess() to invoke Torchlight2.exe, so it certainly could use command line switches, but I don't know (or care) if they've bothered to implement functionality to let the user input them anywhere.
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    I play modded and unmodded Torchlight II over gameranger all the time. I don't understand why you're not able to. LAN mode is LAN mode whether you're playing the modded version or not. As long as the people you're playing with are running the same mods (or you're using Chthon's nullmod) you should have no problem playing together.
    ItfooQF.png