Traps. How do they work?

lombylomby Posts: 56
edited July 2015 in TL2 Hardcore Mode
Hi!
Im back playing a little TL2 and so far having great fun
im playing a lvl 29 Engineer on Veteran/****

I just put a foot on the forsaken vault and I went from 100% to 10% of my total HP after stepping on a trap.

so I wonder... ¿How do this work?
how do TRAPS work?
it deals phisical/elemental damage just like any other attack? does armor/elemental armor counts against traps?
Its the same but just with higher damage?

I couldnt find anything useful on the TL2 wiki

Thank you
6glkyr.jpg

Comments

• SerkevanSerkevan Posts: 1,586
    IIRC traps do irresistible damage: it can't be negated with armour or %DR. Not sure if it's fixed damage, stacking health may help. Oh, and it cuts right through Forcefield, so the only option is not to step on them.
  • GeistGeist Posts: 128
    Berserkers can Savage Rush through traps unharmed, but otherwise yeah, more health is the best way to survive stepping on one. They just do loads of damage.
  • lombylomby Posts: 56
    Thank you all.

Today I died because of a trap.

But at least now I know how they work and why did I die.
    6glkyr.jpg
  • NeophytoiNeophytoi Posts: 3,539
    lomby wrote:
    Today I died because of a trap.

First, my sympathies, lomby.

Traps, particularly whirling blades that slice and dice a **** character much like soft fruit in a food processor and are hidden from view by a misplaced wall (one that stubbornly refuses to fade) are seriously insidious, only unlike most things insidious they're neither subtle, gradual or particularly worthy of exploit (in that a clever player can lure a host of bad guys into the trap and, having triggered it in a timely manner, watch the bad guys go the way of bananas - if you've not tried this, it's a lotta fun!).

But it helps to keep an eye open for suspect slots in the floor or portals/holes in the wall. Fortunately, being a semi-isometric game, nothing is going to drop on you from overhead... although if Travis (cuz I suspect it was he who called this shot; being old school, he's not known for mercy among those dedicated to **** play) had thought of this, it likely woulda happened (pressure plates can do more things than simply open access to hidden spaces or secret rooms).

Yep, more than one stalwart character has bit the dust due to a inconveniently located trap, but it's lesson learned, right? ;)

And so, back into the fray, fellow **** adventurer, and watch where you wander! Especially now that you know there's nothing that will soften the swing of the sickles! In other words, them durn traps are meant to kill the unwary, and they do so efficiently.
    never let your hatred of people who would bar you from the Inviolable House of Worship lead you into the sin of aggression: but rather help one another in furthering virtue and ****-consciousness, and do not help one another in furthering evil and enmity
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭
    My biggest issue with this game is that the traps and stuff like the room with light are deadly unless you happen to have enough processor power to handle the graphics. I really hope their next game being multithreaded means there will be less performance issues this time around.
    ItfooQF.png
  • embermanemberman Posts: 729
    How does processing power affect traps?
  • gold163gold163 Posts: 4,852
    emberman wrote:

It doesn't affect them from a gameplay/damage calculation perspective I'd think, but the Act 3 fire traps (especially that one Kill the Troll phase portal challenge) really did a number on my old computer.
    cxNEL.png
    emberman wrote:

Some of the traps (phase portals, floor blades and that one section with all the lights) involve a lot of particle effects and even if you have a decent card and settings on low the framerate can dip. This messes with the timing and can end up getting you killed. Torchlight II is a pretty graphics and cpu intensive game and I still don't understand why they didn't use multithreading. I suspect it's because they used a modified version of the engine they used to make Torchlight though I could be completely wrong.
    ItfooQF.png
  • embermanemberman Posts: 729
    I used to play this game on a fairly mediocre laptop that's at least 5 years old by now, with only Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics. It ran ok when I turned the shadows off and set particles to minimum along with most other things, and I never had frame drops that were significant enough to affect my ability to avoid traps.

Turning off shadows actually makes the entire level brighter which makes things easier to see. This is especially noticeable in the spider cave in Act 1 where you have to click on the braziers to light them in order to be able to see. With lighting and shadows off you can see everything, brazier or no.

Another thing I do is turn on the "destroy dead bodies" setting in the ini file. Cleaning up corpses is not only sanitary, it prevents degenerate cases where long boss fights with lots of summons causes large corpse piles to accumulate and lag out the game. Incidentally, this also solves the problem of corpses covering up and hiding traps so you can't see them until it is too late.
    emberman wrote:
    Cleaning up corpses is not only sanitary

Very thoughtful of you. :)
    ItfooQF.png