Runic Games announces Hob!

BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,263 admin
edited December 2015 in Announcements
Some announcements today! First...

YZU1FTp.png

* Polygon just ran a story about our brand new IP called Hob!
* The Hob website is located at www.hobgame.com.
* You can like our new Hob page on Facebook.
* For more details, including how you can get a chance to play Hob, check out our news post!
* And – last but not least – we've got a trailer for you to watch!
BrianW
Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/runicgames

For technical support, send a PM or contact us. You can check our knowledgebase for solutions to common issues.

N9PPYBB.png
Hob – coming soon to PC and PS4.

Comments

• WikingWiking Posts: 12
    More a teaser then a trailer. Still, looking forward to it, running out of reasons to grind more stuff in TL2.
    Hope I get to try it out during its early days to see how it fits me.
    Cant wait to hack&slash some adventure puzzles! :D
  • Ragnar119Ragnar119 Posts: 1,102
    Looks ok, but not my type of game unfortunately. A shame, was hoping for a game more closer to arpg genre, not to zelda/adventure type of game.

Well wish runic best of luck, maybe their next game after this will be of more interest to me.
  • SmokeSmoke Posts: 5
    "Hob is being developed for PC and console, featuring smooth controller gameplay"

hqdefault.jpg

So if i'm a, for example, PC gamer that would sooner have rusty nails inserted in his testicles than use a console and most of all, a controller, what should i do with this, how was it, "smooth controller gameplay" ? Should i sit this one out ? Is the good ol' M/KB not adequate anymore ?
  • Smoke wrote:
    "Hob is being developed for PC and console, featuring smooth controller gameplay"

hqdefault.jpg

So if i'm a, for example, PC gamer that would sooner have rusty nails inserted in his testicles than use a console and most of all, a controller, what should i do with this, how was it, "smooth controller gameplay" ? Should i sit this one out ? Is the good ol' M/KB not adequate anymore ?

No worries. You can also play with M/KB. :D
  • BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,263 admin
    Smoke wrote:
    Is the good ol' M/KB not adequate anymore ?

The intent is to have full keyboard and mouse support in when we ship the game. We're mainly drawing attention to the controller here because we've not generally done that on PC before. But also, with regard to controllers, we certainly encourage this mode of play: It feels quite good.

Edit: Ninja'd by Patrick!
    BrianW

For technical support, send a PM or contact us. You can check our knowledgebase for solutions to common issues.

N9PPYBB.png
  • Thank you Runic for FINALLY showing your new game! :)

I wish you guys had not kept your fans in the dark though, about having started a space game originally, and then after the split, having to start a brand-new game. Over the last few months you guys as well as Travis Baldtree and Erich Schaefer made it seem as though Rebel Galaxy was an original concept that Double Damage Games had thought up. Now we know from the Polygon article that's not the reality. As a fan, it's disappointing to be mislead, when all this time Runic has been known as a straightforward and transparent studio.

Hob looks intriguing, but right away my interest is lowered since there is apparently no loot, and very minimal combat in the game. Also I always like good dialogue in a game, as to me it enhances and expands the lore and mythology of the game. Having a game told non-verbally is exceptionally hard to do well. Off hand, only the Myst series of PC games comes to mind, that were able to have solid lore and mythology without dialogue.

I totally understand you guys wanting to do something different. At the same time, doing something different just for the sake of it is not always a good idea either.
    Ragnar119 wrote:
    Looks ok, but not my type of game unfortunately. A shame, was hoping for a game more closer to arpg genre, not to zelda/adventure type of game.

Well wish runic best of luck, maybe their next game after this will be of more interest to me.

My thoughts as well. Personally I was hoping the rumors of airships was going to result in some cool arpg/adventure game with steampunk/historical elements, and a rich story/mythology. I guess my love for Bioshock Infinite combined with the rumors maybe set my expectations too high. Either that, or I had faint hopes of some sort of strategy/arpg hybrid.

I do wish you the best of luck Runic, and I hope you will be more transparent in the future, and not keep fans in the dark. I won't judge the game until I see some thorough gameplay footage. My initial feeling though is that this game probably won't really be for me.
    khcEt.jpg
  • BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,263 admin
    Sheepsiege wrote:
    I wish you guys had not kept your fans in the dark though, about having started a space game originally, and then after the split, having to start a brand-new game. Over the last few months you guys as well as Travis Baldtree and Erich Schaefer made it seem as though Rebel Galaxy was an original concept that Double Damage Games had thought up. Now we know from the Polygon article that's not the reality. As a fan, it's disappointing to be mislead, when all this time Runic has been known as a straightforward and transparent studio.

We feel really fortunate to have worked with both Travis and Erich. Rebel Galaxy is going to be a great game; it's going to be their game and we fully support their efforts! Yes, it is true that we had a hand in some of the early development process, but don't misunderstand: Their game ultimately reflects the things that they care about most. And I personally think it's a hoot and I can't wait to buy it!

On which point do you feel that you've been mislead?

I understand the frustration about wanting to know what's next, but the fact is that we don't talk about things until we're ready to say something. I think that's reasonable. Don't you?
    BrianW

N9PPYBB.png
  • WolvenWolven Posts: 198
    Thanks for presenting your new project to us Runic. Hob looks and sounds like a very fun and exiting game which has the potential to reach a wide audience of gamers. (I hope you've developed for crossed platforms from the start this time)

Being able to turn around and come up with yet another new game concept after a year of developing what's to become Rebel Galaxy, and work through the internal changes to the company without breaking apart is a massive feat. All this after working hard for over three years on TL2. To me this shows that you guys really love what you do and that you've put all your best efforts into this game, so it must be good.

As a fan of Runic I am curious to know what's being worked on, but I do not share the sentiment about being "mislead" in any way. Your internal processes and challenges are nobody's business, but yours. And I fully understand that you do not want to present your work before you feel it's ready to be. People need to understand that this is about professional integrity and wanting to be sure that what you promise to your customers will actually happen.

It's really not that hard to understand that a game takes time to develop before it's in a presentable state. Just imagine going through the process of coming up with a game concept, then fleshing it out so it becomes more than just an idea, but a whole new world with characters, environments, a story, game mechanics and what not. Then you've got to work through the technical challenges of making things work like you want them to, before you can piece it all together and show your work-in-progress to the world.

I'm really looking forwards to learn more about Hob as your work progress and I can't wait to play it when it's finally done.
    TorchModders - A community and resource hub for Torchlight Modders -

.: Collaborate on projects, share your knowledge, seek advice and improve the quality of your mods :.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭
    A year of dev time on a game like Rebel Galaxy is just enough time to do some concept art, tweak the engine a bit and come up with some basic concepts as far as gameplay mechanics go. Keep in mind that while they're doing this they're dealing with the mac port as well as with devs deciding to move on to other things (Travis and Erich haven't been the only folks to move on to other projects-the fact is when a game company is between games some people may need to move on be it for financial or personal reasons).

There's nothing 'misleading' about Travis and Erich saying it's a game they've been working on and have put a ton of heart into. They've never (to my knowledge) said it was just their game nobody else's. They've talked about working with others on it and even mentioned that it was made using a slightly modified version of the Torchlight engine. They might not have provided the exact details but it's clear while they're not with Runic anymore they're still on good terms with them. At any rate I think the implication that Travis and Erich were trying to be deceptive is a silly if not outright insulting one.

"doing something different just for the sake of it is not always a good idea either"

As is doing something you've been doing for years and are sick of doing but are doing just because it's what everyone expects and because you know people will pay for it even if it's just the same old **** you've been doing for decades. There's way more than enough of that kind of **** out there as it is and I'd rather not see the Torchlight series turn into that. If we're going to get a new Torchlight I want it to be justified. For example the mobile version is because it's taking an old concept and applying it to a (relatively) new medium.

At least Runic care enough about games and about the people that play them to take a chance on doing something new and different. They're not just talking about loving making games for the sake of the art of it. They're putting their money where their mouth is.

That's the kind of thing you don't see often and the kind of thing people need to support. I might not be all that into adventure games but I'm willing to support that kind of attitude because it's the same attitude that brought us amazing games like Shadow of the Colossus. Those are the kind of games that provide experiences that last a lifetime. I want more of that. Besides-the character with the big gear arm is adorable as **** and I want to know more about them.
    ItfooQF.png
    Smoke wrote:
    i'm a, for example, PC gamer that would sooner have rusty nails inserted in his testicles than use a console and most of all, a controller

Is it that discomforting to think that maybe games on a console that use a controller might be just as fun if not more so than some games played on a PC? I played Shadow of the Colossus on a console with a controller and that game was amazing. It was deep and meaningful and at one point it had me crying because the experience was so moving.

Is it really that painful to consider? I can't understand that kind of attitude. Are you that averse to trying new things? You know the whole PC master race thing is silly, right? I get someone just not being into using a console but rusty nails? ...really?

I dunno. I don't get why some folks seem to have pride in being averse to doing things that are different that involve minimal risk and involve maximum potential reward.
    ItfooQF.png
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Runic! The new game looks like it'll be wonderful :D For now, will be drinking up as much info as I can...
    Lvw5p3z.png
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • gytfunkegytfunke Posts: 571
    The teaser trailer is grand. It definitely inspires some wonder and excitement.
    Zidders wrote:
    Smoke wrote:
    i'm a, for example, PC gamer that would sooner have rusty nails inserted in his testicles than use a console and most of all, a controller

Is it that discomforting to think that maybe games on a console that use a controller might be just as fun if not more so than some games played on a PC?

Yes.
    Zidders wrote:
    Is it really that painful to consider?

Yes.
    Zidders wrote:
    I can't understand that kind of attitude. Are you that averse to trying new things? You know the whole PC master race thing is silly, right? I get someone just not being into using a console but rusty nails? ...really?

Console games and controllers are not new things. I'm just a longtime PC gamer, for around 23 years now. Basically i was around for the birth of the FPS genre, the RTS genre, space sims, CRPG's and so on. I was never interested in console games, back in the 90's they were in fact kiddie games, in contrast to what PC gaming offered then. It was only around 2001 and ps2 where they started getting some proper games, with a different level of complexity and sophistication. All those years, PC gaming and console gaming were 2 very different beasts, with their own, very well delimited market. PC gaming had strategy games, shooters, tactical games, real, proper, CRPG's, adventure games and so on. Consoles had third person action games, platformers, racers, fighting games and those sequences of cutscenes followed by grinding that they insultingly call rpg's (jrpgs).

Then at some point, multiplatform development started. And since controllers are such an inferior input method in contrast to mouse and keyboards (extremely limited movement for sticks as oposed to mouse and 10 buttons versus 100+ on keyboards) meant gamedesign, gameplay, complexity, features had to be cut, dumbed down, streamlined, in order to properly implement games for consoles that had to use controllers. The instant point and click everywhere, drag and drop interface, speed, accuracy and precision of the mouse had to be replaced with analog sticks > slow, imprecise and limiting.

I think it started with Invisible War and Deadly Shadows. Deus EX, one of the best games in the history of gaming, was reduced to a console game like IW. Deadly Shadows featured a 3rd person view, which amounts to almost cheating (being able to view around corners without expsing oneself to danger, this perspective is more console friendly), removal of gameplay elements like the rope arrow, probably because the console coouldn't suport that aditional layer of level design due to lack of memory. Small, fragmented and simpler levels, also due to lack of console ram.

Then it escalated to more and more multiplatforms, PC mouse and keyboard controls suffer often due to almost exclusive controller optimization, RTS games are almost extinct when 10-15 years ago they were one of the biggest market out there. Adventure games droped puzzles, inventories, item management/combination and are reduced to movie-games like Walking Dead. FPS games used to be alert, challenging, adrenaline infused affairs. Like FEAR 1 for example. Now they're all slow, with retarded AI and regenerating health. Why do you think that is? :chough: controller fps design :chough:

So all in all, i profoundly despise consoles, and incredibly profoundly despise controllers. I'd rather not play a single game again for my entire life if somehow, starting tommorow the only choice would be an xbox controller. Hope i was enlightening enough :D
  • SerkevanSerkevan Posts: 1,586
    What if they used the Steam controller, huh? I agree that gamepads are almost always an inferior choice (provided developers actually let people use KBM *cough* Dark Souls *cough*), but for a lot of people they are more comfortable and last I checked adventure games were not that tough mechanically speaking. Don't think we'll have a problem with KBM here.

Also, not mentioning D-pads? Apparently only Nintendo ever had the technology for making them unlike that disgrace plastered over the Xbox controller, but having played a ****-ton of games on Gamecube I can say that controller was made in heaven itself. Oh, and I managed my inventory in RE4 faster than I ever did in System Shock.

I absolutely agree that consoles ruined shooters... well, except the small fact that the poster boy for consoles by the time everything started falling apart according to you (Halo) didn't have regenerating health or cover. I blame Gears of War and **** of War for a lot of the **** that's been plaguing the industry lately.

Last of all, so everything pre-2001 in consoles was "not proper games". Yeah, you might have had a point but you had to go and ruin it by saying such nonsense.
    Serkevan wrote:

Last of all, so everything pre-2001 in consoles was "not proper games". Yeah, you might have had a point but you had to go and ruin it by saying such nonsense.

I said kiddie games. What games where there on consoles at the time Myst, Dune 2, Warcraft and X-Com were on PC ? What games did consoles have in 98, when PC had Commandos, HL, Thief, Rainbow Six, Delta Force, Baldurs Gate, Fallout 2, Sanitarium, Battlezone,Myth, Freespace, Populous 3,Grim Fandango etc? Besides MGS 1 or some Resident Evil, i can't think of another adult, complex game. Feel free to point some out for me, from that year, if i'm wrong. I said 2001 with games like Ico or Silent Hill 2 in mind. Games like that as opposed to something like Contra or the old Castlevania sidescroolers.

About regen health, how did the shield in Halo worked again ? ;)
    Xenogears, Super Metroid, Mortal Kombat, Perfect Dark*, A Link to the Past. You literally said consoles didn't get proper games until 2001, there's no other way to spin it.

And you are honestly dissing sidescrollers by virtue of... being sidescrollers? Okay.

BTW Grim Fandango was point and click, not a complex game. Neither was the first Warcraft, were you simply spammed the strongest unit. Point is, the fact that some console games are smaller in scope or less packed with features doesn't make them any better or worse.

About Halo's shield, how did shields work in older simulators (complex and hard like the X series, or arcadey like Rogye Squadron)? Like regenerating health was unseen in PC. Not that Halo's shield made the game a cakewalk. I'd rather have a sensible system than having medkits drop on me like crazy (Half Life 1 was too **** easy).

*No regenerating health, no medkits. Bring it on.
    Serkevan wrote:
    I'd rather have a sensible system than having medkits drop on me like crazy (Half Life 1 was too **** easy).

How do you feel about MoH Pacific Assault's health system ? I think that one should have turned more heads.

About Halo, we're talking about FPS games, nevermind other genres. Bungie seems to take credit for everything

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02 ... y-reality/
  • ShoogliShoogli Posts: 8
    BrianW wrote:
    Some announcements today! First...

[...]

Any hint about the release date please :oops: ?

Or at least the year ?
    Ok, Ok-if we're gonna go on about unrelated bs we should stick it in off topic.

Back on point-http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=67118
    ItfooQF.png
    Yeah, I shouldn't have kept it up. Sorry about that.

Back to the topic at hand, from what Webb said all the mechanics and tech-related stuff are probably **** by now... but we don't know the scope of the game. I suppose come PAX they'll give a rough estimate for the release date, but I wouldn't be willing to bet even on a 2016 release date.
    Serkevan wrote:
    Yeah, I shouldn't have kept it up. Sorry about that.

Psh! I blame the excitement. Ever since Brian started blowing the dust off of the bar stools things have gotten a bit more lively around here. I feel like we're going to start seeing a new crowd of folks showing up. We old timers need to do our best to be as welcoming as we can be...er to a certain extent.
    ItfooQF.png
    Zidders wrote:
    We old timers need to do our best to be as welcoming as we can be...er to a certain extent.

I always keep my Closed-Server-Discussion repellant handy, just in case. Might upgrade to MUH Physics Digital Deluxe Edition soon.
  • PyrrophytaPyrrophyta Posts: 148
    Serkevan wrote:
    Might upgrade to MUH Physics Digital Deluxe Edition soon.

I am waiting for someone to indignantly discuss how the awesome (I'm pretty sure I mean this in the original sense of the word) mechanic of the changing landscape violates the Law of the Conservation of Mass. ;)
  • NeophytoiNeophytoi Posts: 3,539
    Pyrrophyta wrote:
    I am waiting for someone to indignantly discuss how the awesome (I'm pretty sure I mean this in the original sense of the word) mechanic of the changing landscape violates the Law of the Conservation of Mass

Not necessarily, but it may violate the first and second law of thermodynamics if it's without recourse to "superscience" (i.e., borrowing energy from a para-energy source such as dark energy, perhaps, if not from another entire universe via some exotic transport such as QT).

To whit, (1) an isolated system's total energy is some constant: energy can be transformed from one form to another, but cannot be created or destroyed as per the apparent rules of translation symmetry (note: these rules may or may not apply to dark matter, a type of matter that is estimated to constitute almost 85% of the total matter in the extant universe, but isn't all that well understood as its existence is entirely theoretical).

(2) As we all know E=mc^2, and so m=E/c^2 and this indicates how mass and energy can be swapped without violating the rules surrounding conservation of mass. However, the second law of thermodynamics states entropy always increases, meaning all systems inevitably break down (and this includes you, me, the evil machines behind the rise of the New World Order - I'm looking at you Hillary Clinton! - and even photons), transforming from low entropy to high entropy and, from all appearances at least, this is (a) not symmetric to the flow of time (meaning, it's a one-way trip) and (b) quicker to happen when there's lots and lots of energy involved. Essentially, given more energy, more things can potentially go wrong.

So... into superscience we dive, hi ho! Ker-splosh! And - my goodness - it's Lava Lamp World! :lol:
    never let your hatred of people who would bar you from the Inviolable House of Worship lead you into the sin of aggression: but rather help one another in furthering virtue and ****-consciousness, and do not help one another in furthering evil and enmity
    Good to know there will be a pre-made post to link in response to any ridiculous physics people, N. Thank you. :D

I'm now going to go back to focusing on suspending my Earth-evolution-centered biology instincts with regard to the cute hoppy things. They are just too adorable.
  • NeophytoiNeophytoi Posts: 3,539
    Pyrrophyta wrote:
    I'm now going to go back to focusing on suspending my Earth-evolution-centered biology instincts with regard to the cute hoppy things. They are just too adorable.

:lol:

You know, we oughta have a Pyrrophyta appreciation day on the forums at least once a year! I'd even bring da balloons!
    GirlHoldingBalloonsHappy660.jpg
    "Cuz everything is better with balloons!"

Knock 'em dead, P! :)
    never let your hatred of people who would bar you from the Inviolable House of Worship lead you into the sin of aggression: but rather help one another in furthering virtue and ****-consciousness, and do not help one another in furthering evil and enmity
  • UlvaakUlvaak Posts: 661
    Perhaps now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak, there would be more regular updates of the development progress of this game?

Regular screen shots/concept art? a count of the current game build? (up around 12000 the last I saw) Maybe a few lines about what's been happening each month from someone in the team?
    Pyrrophyta wrote:
    cute hoppy things. They are just too adorable.

I think you're pretty fabulous, too.
    <3
    ItfooQF.png
    :D <3 Zidders and Neo

This community is fabulous, and will make the wait for Hob's release bearable (again... like with TL2... though I hope we're not two years out this time).
  • Smoke wrote:
    Serkevan wrote:
    I'd rather have a sensible system than having medkits drop on me like crazy (Half Life 1 was too **** easy).

How do you feel about MoH Pacific Assault's health system ? I think that one should have turned more heads.

I'm a huge MOH fan and loved that game but sadly don't remember the health system? Also it's a shame that game won't run on Win 7.