Reflecting On Torchlight's Art Style

DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
edited September 2015 in TL2 General Discussions
Popping in with a random look back at TL2.

After playing a few more similar games, Torchlight is still at the top of the list when it comes to eye candy. Of course different art styles are great for different reasons, but the Torchlight games' aesthetic is front and center. The armors are bold, the weapons have a wild flare, and the monsters are inspired. The art doesn't disappear into a dreary backdrop like with so many other games in this genre. Even when zoomed out I can see my Clawlander flashing those rippers.

While other games focus on making everything dirty and gritty and giving everyone stubble, this game stands out as a jem.

While I don't know if Torchlight 3 will ever come around (the last impression I got was that it won't), I think another Torchlight game would be fantastic, if only to implement all the stuff players were asking for in TL2 (like an in-game beastiary, etc.). There's a huge chunk of beautiful assets to work with, it might be an even more enjoyable experience for the developers this time around.

Aside from lots of new gear, the other thing I'd like is more memorable characters. I'm one of those people who actually read quest texts and dialogue, it livens up the game. I like hearing town gossip that Commander Vale secretly likes platypusses lol. I like finding hidden quests that lead me on a detour when the characters involved are a treat to listen to. Even simple "gather X amount of Y" quests are a joy to do when the characters involved have memorable personalities.

And that's more than I wanted to write, so I'll knock it off.

So thanks Runic for making such a pretty game, I'm still looking forward to whatever else you create.

Edit:
I only just found out about Hob and TL Mobile, and am reading through all the info, like previews and Max's IAP response. Whatever the TL game turns out to be, I'm sure it'll still be a blast to play. (Kitsune fox girl class? Are you kidding? It's almost like Fedeen devs went diving into my brain for ideas lol)

Hob is adorable, looking for more info on it.

Comments

• NeophytoiNeophytoi Posts: 3,539
    Tails! :)

Let the forums' widespread bafflement begin anew!

*cue the **** Chung and those rotating disco *****

Rip it up
    Move down
    Rip it up
    Move it down to the ground
    Rip it up
    Cool down
    Rip it up
    And get the feeling not the word

Everybody have fun tonight
    Everybody **** Chung tonight
    Everybody have fun

Deep in Torchlight world tonight
    Ordrak's heart not safe nor sound
    That **** Alchemist die tonight!
    Buddy, you're goin'
    down!

Rip it up
    Move down
    Rip it up
    Move it down to the ground
    Rip it up
    Cool down
    Rip it up
    Get out what's inside of you

Everybody have fun

On the edge of oblivion
    All the world is Babylon
    And all the love and ev'ryone
    A ship of fools sailing on
    (Everybody)
    (Everybody)

Across the nation
    Around the world
    A celebration so spread the word

Everybody have fun

Everybody
    Everyone
    never let your hatred of people who would bar you from the Inviolable House of Worship lead you into the sin of aggression: but rather help one another in furthering virtue and ****-consciousness, and do not help one another in furthering evil and enmity
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭
    Great post, DT. Welcome back btw. :)
    ItfooQF.png
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back DT!
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • Neophytoi wrote:
    Tails! :)
    [/i]
    Reply by Arron Syaoran: "Heads! >:D"

I hope that wasn't a reference to Sonic Head Chog. I am creeped the F*** out by this one Sonamy Fanfic called "The Player", and I don't want any more of it. Besides, Amy is too young for Sonic, Cream is too young to exist, and Tails is too cute and furry to exist. Miles Prower and Ivo Robotnik can totally beat Tails at an IQ Test.

But I'm not a Sonic Fan, I'm a Zelda Fan. So I need me some more Zelink in my life.

As for Torchlight's Art Style: It's way better than alot of other modern PC/Xbox games I see. The Grittiness of other games just ruins it for me. In Skyrim at least, the **** graphics are too gritty, too pale, too dark and too realistic for me to know what's going on on my screen. I wish more developers focused on Smooth, Anime-like Graphics. I absolutely love Zelda, Dredmor and Torchlight style graphics, and games should show graphics based on what they are: GAMES. Games are SUPPOSED to have High saturation graphics. It's why I also like Old School SNES Games so much.