critical damage bonus

maciekmaciek Posts: 4
edited September 2015 in TL2 General Discussions
Hi all.
I have a question: my 31lvl outlander scores very different critical hits
i use glaive throw and sometimes its 2000 sometimes 5000.
why so much difference? glaive throw min and max damages are not so different.

my stats are something like this:
+85% damage from focus
+96% poison damage
+194% critical damage bonus
290-350 glaive throw damage

Comments

• SerkevanSerkevan Posts: 1,586
    Are you seeing those numbers against the exact same enemies? Armour may be playing a part.
  • Yes , i see it against a dummy
  • GeistGeist Posts: 128
    Probably from the glaive rebounding and striking the dummy again. Rapid hits get their damage numbers tallied up for display.
  • i only have 1 point in glaive throw so it only rebounds once , not a chance it strikes twice.

or maybe i cast it so fast (about +38% cast speed) that 2 hits are counted as one? is that possible?
  • GeistGeist Posts: 128
    One rebound means it could hit twice, but casting it quickly enough could also cause it.
  • ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    With the stats you've described, on paper I have you doing crits of 2397-2876, before monster armor. So, I would agree with Geist that the most likely explanation is that you managed to hit it twice rapidly enough that the damage packets got rolled together into the same overhead number. The overhead display is very loosey goosey about rolling damage packets together, so this is entirely plausible.

The obvious experiment would be to fire glaives at a slower pace (<1/sec) to see if you can repeat this ~5000 hit. If you can, then something else is going on here. If, after a reasonable number of samples, you can't, then it's a reasonable induction that the "two damage packets rolled together by the overhead display" hypothesis is correct.
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
  • IcefreezeIcefreeze Posts: 22
    maciek wrote:
    i only have 1 point in glaive throw so it only rebounds once , not a chance it strikes twice.

or maybe i cast it so fast (about +38% cast speed) that 2 hits are counted as one? is that possible?
    Yes, fast cast speed can do this.
    Display Dmg is total dmg on target in X second( x is quite small).