Creating new animation files without 3ds max?

drewrobidrewrobi Posts: 13
edited November 2015 in General Modding
I've read several (relatively old) threads on this and it seems like it may not be possible, but I'd like to see if there are any new ways. I'm working on a new class (using the standard Male and Female skeletons) and I'd like to modify or create new animations for the skills as the standard ones don't fit the movements that I would like. For example, a sweep-kick in a 360 arc. The glaive swipe is an arm motion, so not a good fit. It seems that Blender can be used for MESH files, but not skeleton animation files. Is this still true? I can generate the .xml files using the OrgeCLI, but that is about as far as I can get.

I'm not a student, and I don't care to spend tons of money (3ds max costs) to write a free mod for an older game and a 30 day trial is not very appealing either. Is there any way to create or modify existing skeleton animation files without 3DS Max? I'm a computer programmer, so if there is some known way to convert the XML files from some format that is possible to edit/generate then perhaps I could figure out how to get it into Torchlight 2 format. I'd hate to build the skills only around existing animations.

Anyone have any luck using Blender (without generating new MESH files) to create/edit skeleton animations? Is there some other way? Perhaps even a way to import into blender and use it to just determine the bone positions and manually update the XML file? I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    hi drewrobi! the modders that I'm aware of who are currently active for animation work are Anarch16sync and Kva3imoda (sorry if I missed anyone else!)

They also post a lot of their stuff on Torchmodders so you might want to have a look over there as well (Anarch16sync and Kva3imoda Torchmodders posts).
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF