What's better? 5% poison increase or +35?

StarkmanStarkman Posts: 78
edited February 2016 in TL General Discussions
Hey all,

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I don't even know where to begin searching this site to narrow this question down.

I'm level 22, and I have a lot of equipment with a lot of buffs; particularly a lot of additional poison damage (some +X poison damage and some X% poison damage buffs).
I'm not sure how to calculate the current poison damage I have, and I need to know this in order to decide if adding a ring that gives an extra 5% poison damage is better than another ring which gives +35 damage.

Thanks,

Starkman

Comments

• embermanemberman Posts: 729
    If you have access to both gears you can test it empirically, which is probably the most reliable way.

Note that while +% poison damage applies to poison skills, +damage only applies directly to your weapon (and by extension weapon dps). It will not affect any skills that do not deal weapon damage.
  • emberman wrote:
    If you have access to both gears you can test it empirically, which is probably the most reliable way.

Note that while +% poison damage applies to poison skills, +damage only applies directly to your weapon (and by extension weapon dps). It will not affect any skills that do not deal weapon damage.
    I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I don't even know where to begin searching this site to narrow this question down.[/quote]

Hey, thanks for the response. I can't imagine, however, trying to watch the numbers flying by, as I'm attacking, to see what's going on, but I'll give it a whirl.
    And thanks, too, for the info about the difference between percentage and plus damage. Appreciate it!
  • dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    Starkman, if you still check this from time to time, consider...
    For a +5% poison add to be better than a straight +35 Poi damage, your total damage from just poison effects would have to be on average ~700 poison DP per hit. While that is possible - I may have 1 or 2 weaps stashed away that gen that much Poi DP, but frankly I have some of the most highly enchant layered weaps of ANY Torchlight player - it is highly unlikely without hundreds of rounds of enchantment (and fails), and is NOT going to happen anywhere near level 22...or even 32. Sometime well after level 50...maybe. More likely while cranking enchantments with a Level 100 character.
  • Thanks much. Appreciate the help!