So whats next for Torchlight?

CamerooCameroo Posts: 239
edited December 2015 in TL2 General Discussions
Been lurking here for the past few years after Eric and Travis announced they're leaving. Watched the off-topic forum turn into the personal soap box of one poster and hadn't seen much to get excited about in the Torchlight scene. Was a bit underwhelmed by the Hob announcement. So now I'm wondering if there were still plans to even support Torchlight outside of the fan mod community? I honestly hadn't checked too many out and the ones I had seemed wildly unbalanced or just outright cheat mods. Was really hoping rumors of an official expansion were true but I can understand why they may want to back off on the game. Would love to hear some news though. Runic made a setting that really intrigued me and I was really hoping to hear more about the world and see more of it through a continuing franchise.

That said, I hope everyone at Runic is doing well along with their fans. Would love to know if there are any mods that are worth checking out I may of missed.
"Space is invisible mind dust and stars are but wishes!"

Comments

• The best mods I've personally played are Synergies, which is really the poster child for Torchlight mods, and Darklight.
    Synergies expands on the base game in every way with more of everything, including an expanded endgame.
    Darklight changes the core mechanics to be something of a torchlight/dark souls hybrid.
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Hi Cameroo! There is an "Act V" mod being worked on by Deezire. The linked thread has some concept-building notes and is quite short, but the concepts are big.

He is building it on top of his "Unearthed Arcana (UA)" mod which is already available and quite large just on its own (the link goes to the last post in the thread as it's already quite a long thread). The UA thread also has notes about the ongoing work on the Act V mod.

There is also the Far East mod by Zyph, a martial arts and swordsman themed mod which is almost a TC with all the new stuff it introduces.
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭
    Cameroo wrote:
    personal soap box
    To be fair the devs have always been fine with us discussing politics and real world events here. That and like you said it's not like there hasn't been anything else for us to talk about, Torchlight or Hob-wise. The only other option is to let the forum die and that's no fun.

As far as Torchlight goes there's a mobile free to play coming out. Runic wanted to do their own thing because they were tired of the arpg thing so they let Perfect World do that to keep that property going.
    ItfooQF.png
  • D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭
    The Devs need something else to work on except for ARPG to freshen up the creative process. I know Max has been doing it for about 20+ years.

Max did state on one of the videos that they will be going back to Torchlight but they just needed a break from doing an ARPG and I think that is a good idea if they are not in the proper frame of mind to make one.
    "Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
  • SerkevanSerkevan Posts: 1,586
    As Zids says, the only other option would be to let the forum die. And that's bad. I mean, look at the General Discussion section, the one right here. If I had to choose a word for how dead it is, I'd go with "cadaverific" or something. It's not like everyone else is forbidden from posting anyway...
  • NeophytoiNeophytoi Posts: 3,539
    Serkevan wrote:
    It's not like everyone else is forbidden from posting anyway...

<mischievously> One day, we ought to take this idea up in committee :lol:
    never let your hatred of people who would bar you from the Inviolable House of Worship lead you into the sin of aggression: but rather help one another in furthering virtue and ****-consciousness, and do not help one another in furthering evil and enmity
  • D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭
    Serkevan wrote:
    As Zids says, the only other option would be to let the forum die. And that's bad. I mean, look at the General Discussion section, the one right here. If I had to choose a word for how dead it is, I'd go with "cadaverific" or something. It's not like everyone else is forbidden from posting anyway...

It sometimes it does have life when it gets overrun with spambots especially when Brian is on holiday or has to take a day off keeping his finger on the forum **** plugging the hole that bots like to use. :ugeek:
    "Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"