Will HOB run in Linux on Release?

SolarStringsSolarStrings Posts: 4
edited December 2015 in Hob General Discussions
Hi!

I'm wondering if HOB will run on Linux at release.
It would be awesome if we could buy it on steam and play on release.
Tagged:

Comments

• NovenTheHeroNovenTheHero Posts: 3

Sorry for the thread necro, but what is the movement on a linux release? I love Torchlight 1 and 2 because they are great games AND are linux friendly.

• EtriganEtrigan Posts: 8 ✭✭

It won't directly answer your question about a linux release but it will assist you on what platforms they are shipping for. The platforms that they have said are the Windows (there's a steam page) and PS4 platforms at its current state. You'll have to keep an eye out if there are anymore details.

• allenallen Posts: 63 ✭✭

Just PC and PS4 for initial release. We're a small studio with our own tech and this is the first time we're doing multiple platforms at launch. Trying to keep things (relatively) limited in scope!

• samurousesamurouse Posts: 3

Do you plan to release a linux version eventually?

• ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭

@samurouse said:

The most likely answer you're going to get is that they're focusing on the platforms they've announced for now. All other platforms are considered but as they're a small team any potential future releases will depend on whether or not they can afford to commit the resources to it. Linux is a very small platform which unfortunately means it's last in line in terms of potential profitability.

ItfooQF.png
  • D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭
    edited August 14

@samurouse said:

I have a feeling we will see one, maybe released with a future Humble Bundle. That likely will not be for quite some time after the game was released. The Torchlight's were released on Linux but it was some time after the game was done.

"Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
  • AxiomAxiom Posts: 3

Hey, has anyone here with a GNU/Linux distro bought Hob and tried to run it through Wine?

I'd like to support the developers as they all do amazing work (loved TL2), but at the same time I'm running Arch Linux and don't want to purchase a game that doesn't run.

There's nothing posted on WineHQ yet so unfortunately it would be a gamble to buy it right now.

• MstrSinisterMstrSinister Posts: 7

Granted you (Runic) are a small company but still Torchlight have eventually found its way to Linux (for which kudos and eternal gratitude to you). I don't mind waiting a bit (hopefully not as long as for Torchlight) but I would be interested in an official statement about Linux support within 2-3 or 6 months. And no - Wine is not really an option. Although a great initiative, in terms of statistics Wine only accounts for M$ Windows increased sales in the end.
    Regards.

• MstrSinisterMstrSinister Posts: 7

Granted you (Runic) are a small company but still Torchlight have eventually found its way to Linux (for which kudos and eternal gratitude to you). I don't mind waiting a bit (hopefully not as long as for Torchlight) but I would be interested in an official statement about Linux support within 2-3 or 6 months. And no - Wine is not really an option. Although a great initiative, in terms of statistics Wine only accounts for M$ Windows increased sales in the end.
    The best solution, in my opinion, would be initial Vulkan support. Then you'd have no problems Linux/Android support whatsoever.
    Regards.

• BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,310 admin

No plans for a linux version at the moment.

BrianW
    Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/runicgames