Can I respec?

CampaignerCampaigner Posts: 23
edited March 2016 in TL2 General Discussions
If so, how?
I'm not looking to cheat or make it easier, but a kinda legitimate way to respec would be needed.

I've played Torchlight but never Torchlight II.

Comments

• ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭
    There's a character in the first town you can buy respecs from. They let you redo the last three points you spent.
    ItfooQF.png
  • Zidders wrote:
    There's a character in the first town you can buy respecs from. They let you redo the last three points you spent.

That's very little....
    That means I have to decide on a build as soon as I start a character just like in Diablo II :|

Why did they design it like that..? Oh well, if that is their design then I guess it's balanced for that.
    Campaigner wrote:
    Zidders wrote:

That's very little....
    That means I have to decide on a build as soon as I start a character just like in Diablo II :|

Why did they design it like that..? Oh well, if that is their design then I guess it's balanced for that.
    It was a compromise. Some of the devs wanted full respecs. Some wanted no respecs. http://clockworkcore.org/tl2rr.html Use Rapid Respec. It'll even remove the cheater flag. It's your game. Play it how you want.

Personally I'm for full respecs :)
    ItfooQF.png
  • Zidders wrote:
    It was a compromise. Some of the devs wanted full respecs. Some wanted no respecs. http://clockworkcore.org/tl2rr.html Use Rapid Respec. It'll even remove the cheater flag. It's your game. Play it how you want.

Personally I'm for full respecs :)

That's why I like Diablo III. You can't cheat there. Torchlight II is gonna take a whole lot of selfdiscipline then.

If people use mods, they still get the achievements? If they do, the hard achievements lose their value.
    I'm a competitive RTS guy so I always have the challenge in mind.

Is there any modpack that the developers have embraced? Like Community Edition of Xenonauts that only enhances the game?
  • embermanemberman Posts: 729
    You can't "cheat" anyone besides yourself in a non-competitive game. This game was not designed to be competitive. If competing with other people is what you want you are in the wrong place.

Also Steam achievements mean nothing and weren't designed to be competitive either. Anyone can set their achievement status to whatever they want using an external tool.
    edited March 2016
    Campaigner wrote:

That's why I like Diablo III. You can't cheat there.
    There are tons of hackers playing Diablo III. So many that Blizzard bans them in huge sweeping banwaves every six months or so. There's no such thing as a cheat-free online game. People who want to cheat will find ways of doing so no matter what developers do so it's pointless to let it bother you.
    Campaigner wrote:
    Torchlight II is gonna take a whole lot of selfdiscipline then.
    While I understand where you're coming from, in your initial post you yourself asked for a way to respec 'legit'. It's not legit if you're looking at it in terms of wanting it to be more competitive. Part of competition is thinking out your moves and accepting the consequences of your mistakes even if it results in a loss or (as in this game) a less capable character. With Torchlight II you're supposed to learn from your mistakes then apply the lessons learned to your next play through.

Besides-the strength of character required to not overuse respecs is the same as the strength it takes to not cheat in a competition. If you can do it with other games you can do it with this one. In the end cheating in a non-competitive game like this doesn't matter. It's your game. It's meant to be played however you want to play it. How much (or how little) you cheat only impacts your enjoyment as much as you let it.
    Campaigner wrote:
    the hard achievements lose their value.
    I'm a competitive RTS guy so I always have the challenge in mind.
    Torchlight isn't an RTS. It's A co-op arpg. Sure-you can make it into a competition with friends who agree to it but that's not the kind of gameplay that was intended.
    Campaigner wrote:
    Is there any modpack that the developers have embraced? Like Community Edition of Xenonauts that only enhances the game?
    Blanks landmarks & Extra chunky are the only officially supported mods. They were made by one of the devs.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... earchtext=

If you want cheat free play with those you know and trust. If you want it competitive get your friends to agree to play it that way. Simple as that.
    ItfooQF.png
  • emberman wrote:
    You can't "cheat" anyone besides yourself in a non-competitive game. This game was not designed to be competitive. If competing with other people is what you want you are in the wrong place.

Also Steam achievements mean nothing and weren't designed to be competitive either. Anyone can set their achievement status to whatever they want using an external tool.
    Zidders,

I know....I just like a closed environment like Diablo III gives.
    Steam achievements are a great way to check how far people have progressed in a game.

I know it's not an RTS :|

Alright, respec in game it is.
  • Campaigner wrote:
    That's why I like Diablo III. You can't cheat there.

:lol:
    Campaigner wrote:

I know....I just like a closed environment like Diablo III gives.
    Steam achievements are a great way to check how far people have progressed in a game.

I know it's not an RTS :|

Alright, respec in game it is.

I apologize. Sometimes I don't pay attention and write like I know better than others. It's a bad habit. I'll do my best to be better about it from now on.
    ItfooQF.png