Item droprates

ShotgunShellyShotgunShelly Posts: 119
edited April 2016 in TL2 General Discussions
Just curious, I'd love to know item drop rates. I heard it is something ridiculous like a legendary drops with a 1 in 49,999 chance from a trash mob, or 1 in 9,999 from a champion, or something like that.

I ask because today I finally, FINALLY, dropped a Pogg Slammer. I've played through this game at least fifty times and never dropped one before today. I'd like to know the odds of dropping it (especially considering it doesn't seem worth the rarity.)

Comments

• ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    Does this answer your question?
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
  • DeeZireDeeZire Posts: 256
    The game only has configured two spawnclasses for legendary items, that in turn only specify the unit type 'legendary', in other words if you are lucky enough to get a legendary drop then the chances of any legendary item are all equal - you cant 'farm' or target them other than they drop based on monster/dungeon level and they start to drop at around level 59. As Chthon explains in his linked post, Magic Find makes no difference whatsoever to legendary drops or their rate.

The problem is that one of those spawnclasses isnt used - the one for normal trash mobs, which as you say is a 1 in 50,000 chance. No monster has this spawnclass assigned to its loot table. The second one is assigned to champions, and by virtue is also used by bosses, and that gives you a 1 in 2500 chance IIRC. Most monsters instead use the normal monsterloot spawnclass that gives a 1 in 48000 legendary chance IIRC.

So the most effective way to get legendaries is to quickly and efficiently kill lots of champs and bosses above level 59 and the quickest way of doing that is by using maps in the Mapworks.

To answer your question on the Pogg Slammer, most bosses have a chance to drop a unique socketable, usually 'The Eye Of Whoever' which by convention is usually a straight 15% chance to drop on death.
    Unearthed Arcana - Torchlight 2 Expansion
    viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57897
  • ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    DeeZire wrote:
    The game only has configured two spawnclasses for legendary items, that in turn only specify the unit type 'legendary', in other words if you are lucky enough to get a legendary drop then the chances of any legendary item are all equal - you cant 'farm' or target them other than they drop based on monster/dungeon level and they start to drop at around level 59. As Chthon explains in his linked post, Magic Find makes no difference whatsoever to legendary drops or their rate.

The problem is that one of those spawnclasses isnt used - the one for normal trash mobs, which as you say is a 1 in 50,000 chance. No monster has this spawnclass assigned to its loot table. The second one is assigned to champions, and by virtue is also used by bosses, and that gives you a 1 in 2500 chance IIRC. Most monsters instead use the normal monsterloot spawnclass that gives a 1 in 48000 legendary chance IIRC.

So the most effective way to get legendaries is to quickly and efficiently kill lots of champs and bosses above level 59 and the quickest way of doing that is by using maps in the Mapworks.

To answer your question on the Pogg Slammer, most bosses have a chance to drop a unique socketable, usually 'The Eye Of Whoever' which by convention is usually a straight 15% chance to drop on death.

Actually, as I was looking into the spawnclasses yesterday to do my example, I noticed two things about legendary items:
    1. While the original legendary items have rarities of 0 that prevent them from spawning normally, the newer level 105 legendaries have rarities of 35 and level ranges of 99-999, so they could potentially spawn any time a level 99+ monster does a "****" drop for the basic unit types. It looks like there's about 4 uniques that can spawn in that level range for any given item type, so that would give us odds of (7 / (10k + 100 + 90 + 7)) * (35 / (35 + 100 + 100 + 100 + 100)) = 49 in 887139, or roughly 1 in 18k. Magic find would improve those odds.
    2. The 1 in 50k shot at a legendary is in TREASURE_MONSTERLOOT_NORMAL, which is assigned to many regular monsters. I'm not sure which spawnclass you're thinking of that includes legendary but isn't assigned to anything; but it's not this one. Magic find does not help this one.
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
  • DeeZireDeeZire Posts: 256
    You are correct as usual! *slaps self for spending too much time modding lately*

What I did notice though is that 'boss' monsters can roll for a legendary twice in their loot table, giving you twice the chance of getting one by killing them as opposed to only once for 'champions', ie a two rolls at a 1 in 2500 chance.
    Unearthed Arcana - Torchlight 2 Expansion
    viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57897
  • ouch...