Few other questions about stuff

SzelitzkyErickSzelitzkyErick Posts: 8
edited April 2016 in TL2 General Discussions
1: I'm always a gold collector when it comes to video games in general, more shiny yellows = more happines for little Erick . So that said, I have a hard time finding the best way to spend my money on, Enchanting? Gambling? Buying stuff from regular vendors? Socketing? If you answer this , please refer to all stages of the game, not only in NG+ or above since I'm starting a new char and I wish to spend my money wisely.
2: Is Transmuter any good? I mean, trading 4 uniques for a random one doesn't seem such a great deal since the drop change, aldough it's preety big and you'll certainly have some uniques at the end of the day, especially if you know where to find, still seems like a preety bad deal to me.
3: Being an experienced MOBA player who decided that the stress isn't worth and moved to singleplayer games, I can say that I aquired some experienced in KITING certain abilities , but some seem unkitable. Didn't go so far into the game yet, only tried a few builds untill like lvl 25 in Veteran mode but some semi-bosses , the fiery panda bears ones at the end of act 1 before killing Grell and the Mirka Frostbiters deal sooooo much damage, it's insane, and it's not even their skills, I've figured out it's their autoatacks, since their skills have a preety bad cast speed and are easely avoidable, but if I play a meele character and I try to hit them with my weapon, **** be with me if I survive 1-2 hits at most, especially if they suddenly decided to cast a very fast kamehameha from nowhere.
4: As I was answered in a previous post, farming is crucial if you want to survive in the hard elite mode NG+ and above , so I have to ask which areas are actually worth restarting and doing over again? And another question related to this,does your level affect the drop change of items and money from mobs you kill? For example I'm level 28 and I want to restart the desert level (I forgot the name, sorry), but they are around level 20-22 , do I still get the same loot that I would get if I was that range of levels?
5: When is it worth to actually use Dual Wield weapons or Heavy Weapons? (Apart from the cannon, which I heard can be preety good) . I've been reading a lot of things about this game and I've checked a lot of info but I need to know, why would you even actually wield to weapons when you can just wear a one handed weapon and a shield (since the weapon damage skills are influenced only by your right weapons damage and you get the benefit of blocking which I heard it's like , the best thing ever in this game.
6: The last question, should I skip Vitality entirely if I am not using a shield or not planing to use one? I've heard it's the worst stat in the game, followed by dex, and there are focus and strength which are the best. And the fact that it's just 3.6 hp/level seems so minimal compared to the damage you can stack with STR / FOCUS . I really want to know this since I do not plan to play with a shield and I need to plan my stat distribution before starting the new char :D

As always, you're the best guy, the actual guys who read these kinds of posts and take their time, even if they do not respond to them, at least taking a look about it and seeing how the game feels from others perspective, I love you all. It would be really appreciated if someone could actually answer me ,and remember, life is beautiful , enjoy it as much as you can, you only have one of it. Remember how it feels to die with an Elite Harcore Character? Yeah, be careful not to fall into the same traps in real life ! LOVE YOU ALL !

Comments

• ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    1: I'm always a gold collector when it comes to video games in general, more shiny yellows = more happines for little Erick . So that said, I have a hard time finding the best way to spend my money on, Enchanting? Gambling? Buying stuff from regular vendors? Socketing? If you answer this , please refer to all stages of the game, not only in NG+ or above since I'm starting a new char and I wish to spend my money wisely.

Gambling is relatively predictable because of the way pricing works and the odds of getting uniques and even lvl105 legendaries are quite good (compared to the drop odds). It's never a bad investment.

Enchanting is always a good idea if you're going to be holding on to an item for awhile. Combat weapons should be enchanted at an elemental enchanter for flat base damage (ice for berserkers, fire or electric for engineers, poison for outlanders. If you're planning on keeping the item indefinitely, keep going until you get 3 extra-strong enchants for flat base damage; just take what you can get for items you expect to outgrow.) Caster weapons should be enchanted for critical chance, critical damage, or cast speed -- all of which IIRC come from the ordinary enchanters. (Since the odds are not in your favor here, for items that you expect to outgrow, just take anything that's useful to casters and be content.) Armor should be enchanted by the stats enchanter, Borris the Completely Unbalanced. I enchant shields for dodge, some other reasonable people do them for stats instead.

Sockets are always a good investment on items you plan to keep for awhile.

Buying regular items from vendors becomes a complete waste of money very early in the game. It's generally useful for the first third of Act I, when the vendor stuff is sometimes better than your drops, and again at the very start of Act II when the vendor's goods are usually better than what you're bringing from Act I. Otherwise, I wouldn't even bother looking at the inventory.
    2: Is Transmuter any good? I mean, trading 4 uniques for a random one doesn't seem such a great deal since the drop change, aldough it's preety big and you'll certainly have some uniques at the end of the day, especially if you know where to find, still seems like a preety bad deal to me.

I believe the idea is to take uniques that are worthless to you -- because you already have a copy, because you don't have a character of the required class, or because they just **** -- and convert them into a chance for a unique that might have some value for you. That said, I've never gotten anything good out of crunching them.
    3: Being an experienced MOBA player who decided that the stress isn't worth and moved to singleplayer games, I can say that I aquired some experienced in KITING certain abilities , but some seem unkitable. Didn't go so far into the game yet, only tried a few builds untill like lvl 25 in Veteran mode but some semi-bosses , the fiery panda bears ones at the end of act 1 before killing Grell and the Mirka Frostbiters deal sooooo much damage, it's insane, and it's not even their skills, I've figured out it's their autoatacks, since their skills have a preety bad cast speed and are easely avoidable, but if I play a meele character and I try to hit them with my weapon, **** be with me if I survive 1-2 hits at most, especially if they suddenly decided to cast a very fast kamehameha from nowhere.

Everything is "kitable" in the sense that if you move before the incoming hit arrives, then it will not connect. It takes some time to learn which monsters hit hard, and to learn the monsters' tells. It also takes some time to learn how to build a character with a decent defense. IMO, the start of the second half of Act I is a bit imbalanced because there's quite a bit of big ice damage when you haven't really had a chance to get enough ice defense to cover it.
    4: As I was answered in a previous post, farming is crucial if you want to survive in the hard elite mode NG+ and above , so I have to ask which areas are actually worth restarting and doing over again? And another question related to this,does your level affect the drop change of items and money from mobs you kill? For example I'm level 28 and I want to restart the desert level (I forgot the name, sorry), but they are around level 20-22 , do I still get the same loot that I would get if I was that range of levels?

Your level only matters insofar as it can pull a zone to the top or the bottom of its level range. Once you're at the top of the level range, it does not matter if you're exactly at the top or at level 100 -- it will go no higher.

The most crucial item in TL2, the Skull of Limoany, drops in areas leveled 53 to 62. (You will need enough of these to reach 75% DR, after taking into consideration your %DR from other sources. You will need extras if you're not willing to destroy your old equipment to reclaim the skulls when you outgrow it.)
    The inferior substitute for Skull of Limoany, the Eye of Grell, only drops from Grell.
    There's a few great uniques (Pandectos comes to mind) that only drop at low levels. (Use TIDBI; I can't be assed to remember them all.)
    All the other good stuff is in high level zones.
    5: When is it worth to actually use Dual Wield weapons or Heavy Weapons? (Apart from the cannon, which I heard can be preety good) . I've been reading a lot of things about this game and I've checked a lot of info but I need to know, why would you even actually wield to weapons when you can just wear a one handed weapon and a shield (since the weapon damage skills are influenced only by your right weapons damage and you get the benefit of blocking which I heard it's like , the best thing ever in this game.

In general, a shield is advisable. The block mechanic is really strong in TL2. Going without one is viable, but rarely optimal unless and until you reach the point that by trading away the shield for more damage you can reach the tipping point into "1-hit kill all the monsters before they can hit you."

In general, dual wield is not advisable. The timing mechanic means that it actually decreases your auto-attack DPS unless you invest heavily in Focus for execute chance (which is usually ill advised because it takes away from stats that best raise your damage). Since the right-hand weapon is always used for skill damage, dual wield is useless for directly increasing skill damage. It has four viable uses: (1) Put a "stat stick" in the left hand -- usually a 4-socket item loaded up with critical chance and critical damage; (2) put a pistol or wand in the left hand so that you can use skills that require those weapon types, but the skills' damage will be computed off the right-hand weapon; (3) Spell-trigger builds -- again, a 4-socket left-hand weapon; and (4) one crazy berserker build with 100% execute that auto-attacks with one super-fast weapon and one super-slow weapon, exploiting the fact that executing does not advance the hand alternation, so you can consistently attack with both weapons at the fast one's speed.

In general, two-handed weapons do not do enough damage in excess of one-handed weapons to justify giving up the shield.
    6: The last question, should I skip Vitality entirely if I am not using a shield or not planing to use one? I've heard it's the worst stat in the game, followed by dex, and there are focus and strength which are the best. And the fact that it's just 3.6 hp/level seems so minimal compared to the damage you can stack with STR / FOCUS . I really want to know this since I do not plan to play with a shield and I need to plan my stat distribution before starting the new char :D

Yes, if you are dead set on not using a shield, you might as well skip Vitality. You can get health more cheaply from items, and the armor bonus is pointless because the armor mechanic is fundamentally weak (%DR matters a million times more than armor matters).
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
  • opsayoopsayo Posts: 26
    Wow, great post Chthon! :)