RE: Building The World

PatrickBPatrickB Posts: 894 ✭✭
Hey everybody, I'm Patrick Blank, the Game Director and Lead Level Designer on Hob. I wrote a short blog about how we are designing the world of Hob to be an interesting place, how it came about and all of the challenges that go with it. The link is below, if you have any questions post them below and I'll answer what I can.

Thanks!

http://www.runicgames.com/about/press/2 ... the-world/
Tagged:

Comments

  • I'm Rick Lesley, and I am a Senior Level Designer on Hob. I will also be here to help answer questions, mostly pertaining to what type of coffee Patrick likes. Ask away!
  • PatrickBPatrickB Posts: 894 ✭✭
    Or why Rick eats Doritos out of a coffee filter.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    RiCKL3s wrote:
    I'm Rick Lesley, and I am a Senior Level Designer on Hob. I will also be here to help answer questions, mostly pertaining to what type of coffee Patrick likes. Ask away!
    Hi Rick! I hope you're having a lovely day today. ^_^
    My question would be "Does Patrick buy fair trade coffee and if not, why the heck not?"
    PatrickB wrote:
    Or why Rick eats Doritos out of a coffee filter.
    Well one advantage I can see is that it means less crumbs all over the place. That and I imagine the shapes the crumbled chips make within the circular malleable container make provide plenty of topographical ideas.

    I edited my game related questions because I realized the article pretty much answered them. Really looking forward to the game.
    ItfooQF.png
  • D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭
    RiCKL3s wrote:
    I'm Rick Lesley, and I am a Senior Level Designer on Hob. I will also be here to help answer questions, mostly pertaining to what type of coffee Patrick likes. Ask away!

    I like to suggest to patrick to try a triple brewed dark roasted coffee or Espresso. If you have the funds than a Quadruple brewed dark roasted coffee. Of course it would be freshly ground and fresh rounds during each brew cycle. Sadly I can not afford to make my coffee that way. I have to settle with tea :(
    PatrickB wrote:
    Or why Rick eats Doritos out of a coffee filter.

    I thought that was the way you eat them and then use the filter for making a fresh batch of triple brewed dark roasted coffee. :mrgreen:
    "Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
  • PatrickBPatrickB Posts: 894 ✭✭
    Zidders wrote:
    RiCKL3s wrote:
    I'm Rick Lesley, and I am a Senior Level Designer on Hob. I will also be here to help answer questions, mostly pertaining to what type of coffee Patrick likes. Ask away!
    Hi Rick! I hope you're having a lovely day today. ^_^
    My question would be "Does Patrick buy fair trade coffee and if not, why the heck not?"
    PatrickB wrote:
    Or why Rick eats Doritos out of a coffee filter.
    Well one advantage I can see is that it means less crumbs all over the place. That and I imagine the shapes the crumbled chips make within the circular malleable container make provide plenty of topographical ideas.

    I edited my game related questions because I realized the article pretty much answered them. Really looking forward to the game.

    You'll have more I'm sure. Thanks for the continued support Zidders!
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    PatrickB wrote:
    Zidders wrote:

    You'll have more I'm sure. Thanks for the continued support Zidders!
    Thank you for being great people, for making great games and for being so kind to (and patient with) me over the years.

    I do have a question now that I've had time to think about it: What are some of your favorite video game levels/areas not counting your own stuff and (without spoiling anything) have those areas/levels affected your design decisions? If so in what ways?
    ItfooQF.png
  • ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭
    - I'd be curious to know how you're dealing with setting the difficulty of puzzles. Is there any particular target difficulty you have in mind? I would guess that early puzzles are easier and later ones are harder, but how tricky do you plan on making them? Will it be purely a matter of "longer/harder to work the problem out" or will there be some degree of messing with the player's head (setting up certain expectations early on, and then altering or breaking those expectations later)?

    - Also: how are you planning on communicating puzzle/gameplay elements to the player? I remember reading that the game would tell its story without relying on written or voiced words, which seems pretty ambitious; how has that aspect of the game influenced the way the gameplay is presented? Have there been any notable/interesting/unusual decisions made on how to make the game design or the art style best serve this purpose?
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

    Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

    Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
  • IllBeBackIllBeBack Posts: 15
    Hello Runic!

    This is my first post here. I'm Clarisa from Spain. I'm 14 years old. I'm sorry for my language mistakes. I'm really looking forward to playing Hob. It looks so sweet and awesome. My sister and I loved the video of it we saw at youtube.

    If it is not too late, I will have three questions for you. I hope you're not busy.

    1. How could Max come up with this decision?
    2. Could you compare Pre-Hob hype and the state of forums with Pre-TL and Pre-TL2 hype and the forums?
    3. How's John Dunbar doing? I hope he's the second in command now.

    Target audience is out :mrgreen:
  • PatrickBPatrickB Posts: 894 ✭✭
    Zidders wrote:
    PatrickB wrote:
    Zidders wrote:

    You'll have more I'm sure. Thanks for the continued support Zidders!
    Thank you for being great people, for making great games and for being so kind to (and patient with) me over the years.

    I do have a question now that I've had time to think about it: What are some of your favorite video game levels/areas not counting your own stuff and (without spoiling anything) have those areas/levels affected your design decisions? If so in what ways?

    I can't think of specific levels off the top of my head, I'll have to think about that. Some of the games as a whole that inspire me level design wise are: Half Life series, Dark Souls series, STALKER series, Batman Arkham series, Dishonored, Bioshock series. Some are for the creative flow, pacing and presentation. Some more so for the ambience and environmental spacing. And some are for cleaver puzzles. A good example of all of those elements in 1 level would be Ravenholm from Half Life 2.
  • PatrickBPatrickB Posts: 894 ✭✭
    Arkham wrote:
    - I'd be curious to know how you're dealing with setting the difficulty of puzzles. Is there any particular target difficulty you have in mind? I would guess that early puzzles are easier and later ones are harder, but how tricky do you plan on making them? Will it be purely a matter of "longer/harder to work the problem out" or will there be some degree of messing with the player's head (setting up certain expectations early on, and then altering or breaking those expectations later)?

    - Also: how are you planning on communicating puzzle/gameplay elements to the player? I remember reading that the game would tell its story without relying on written or voiced words, which seems pretty ambitious; how has that aspect of the game influenced the way the gameplay is presented? Have there been any notable/interesting/unusual decisions made on how to make the game design or the art style best serve this purpose?

    It's something we are figuring out as we go. You acquire new abilities as you go through the game, so to make things more interesting as well as challenging later in the game we try to combine those abilities in a single situation. There are several types of interactions we can do with just a single ability too. It's not there's always 1 solution to this one ability. The trick for us is just trying to find more clever ways to use them, and combine them in new situations.

    The abilities themselves have clear indications when to use them at a default. We will start with the basics and modify from there. There will always be visual hints to try to figure things out. Players might see a point of interest like a lever up on a ledge they know they need to get to, but how they get to it is part of the puzzle. Visually backtracking to see how to get up to that lever if one way to do it, looking for certain ability callouts around the space is another.

    We are always trying to balance making things clear to the player. It can't be really obvious, but it can't also be invisible and rely on luck. So we do tweak art elements to help balance that out.
  • PatrickBPatrickB Posts: 894 ✭✭
    IllBeBack wrote:
    Hello Runic!

    This is my first post here. I'm Clarisa from Spain. I'm 14 years old. I'm sorry for my language mistakes. I'm really looking forward to playing Hob. It looks so sweet and awesome. My sister and I loved the video of it we saw at youtube.

    If it is not too late, I will have three questions for you. I hope you're not busy.

    1. How could Max come up with this decision?
    2. Could you compare Pre-Hob hype and the state of forums with Pre-TL and Pre-TL2 hype and the forums?
    3. How's John Dunbar doing? I hope he's the second in command now.

    Target audience is out :mrgreen:

    Hey Clarisa, welcome to the forums! Your English is great!

    1. Hob as it is today wasn't one persons idea. It started out as something slightly different at the beginning and constantly evolved to what it is by the team working together to develop it. Marsh is definitely the one person who shaped it most originally.
    2.I think because this is a new IP for us, and not many people know about it yet, we are still trying to get the word out to get more people to come join in discussions on the forums here. TL2 had a lot of hype because people knew about TL and were excited for a sequel. I think as we get closer to launch, and start doing more press, and showing more, more people will learn about the game and the forums will be packed again with fans.
    3.He's doing great! I'm sure he can post an update himself on what he's up to. I'll ping him to let him know you asked!
  • I got the chance to play HoB at PAX East... instantly hooked.
    I have been raving about this game to anyone who will stand still long enough to listen.
    Is there a planned launch date yet?

    thank you :)
  • IllBeBackIllBeBack Posts: 15
    PatrickB wrote:
    IllBeBack wrote:
    Hello Runic!

    This is my first post here. I'm Clarisa from Spain. I'm 14 years old. I'm sorry for my language mistakes. I'm really looking forward to playing Hob. It looks so sweet and awesome. My sister and I loved the video of it we saw at youtube.

    If it is not too late, I will have three questions for you. I hope you're not busy.

    1. How could Max come up with this decision?
    2. Could you compare Pre-Hob hype and the state of forums with Pre-TL and Pre-TL2 hype and the forums?
    3. How's John Dunbar doing? I hope he's the second in command now.

    Target audience is out :mrgreen:

    Hey Clarisa, welcome to the forums! Your English is great!

    1. Hob as it is today wasn't one persons idea. It started out as something slightly different at the beginning and constantly evolved to what it is by the team working together to develop it. Marsh is definitely the one person who shaped it most originally.
    2.I think because this is a new IP for us, and not many people know about it yet, we are still trying to get the word out to get more people to come join in discussions on the forums here. TL2 had a lot of hype because people knew about TL and were excited for a sequel. I think as we get closer to launch, and start doing more press, and showing more, more people will learn about the game and the forums will be packed again with fans.
    3.He's doing great! I'm sure he can post an update himself on what he's up to. I'll ping him to let him know you asked!

    Thank you I'm glad I didn't make too many "language mistakes" :mrgreen:

    1. Oh, then I should have congratulated the team and especially Marsh Lefler about such a brilliant idea! I didn't know Runic was a flat organization like Valve in practice if not in name. Thank **** and you guys that I'm this lovely beautiful game's target audience!
    2. It's strange that pre-TL hype back in 2009 when I was 7 years old seemed to be tremendous compared to now. Probably I don't remember it well since I was too young I guess, so please don't think i'm questioning your honesty on this matter. However, I'm 100% positive there wasn't such loyal to the insane "Knight of Flowers" and Arkham type fans back then.
    3. Please do! Since you know I'm a 14-year old fangirl who is obsessed with welfare of the developers of games that lack any considerable hype, it would be a shame to disappoint such "unique" but perfectly reasonable personality who in the same time sounds completely logical, to you at least, apperantly.

    BTW, how is my sweet avatar? I hope you guys liked it :mrgreen:
  • PatrickBPatrickB Posts: 894 ✭✭
    I got the chance to play HoB at PAX East... instantly hooked.
    I have been raving about this game to anyone who will stand still long enough to listen.
    Is there a planned launch date yet?

    thank you :)

    Not yet, stay tuned!
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    IllBeBack wrote:

    Thank you I'm glad I didn't make too many "language mistakes" :mrgreen:
    You're doing fine. You're pretty well spoken for someone in Jr. High who speaks English as a second language.
    ItfooQF.png
  • IllBeBackIllBeBack Posts: 15
    Zidders wrote:
    IllBeBack wrote:

    Thank you I'm glad I didn't make too many "language mistakes" :mrgreen:
    You're doing fine. You're pretty well spoken for someone in Jr. High who speaks English as a second language.

    Thank you ser. You really earn the nickname "Knight of Flowers" don't you?

    This forum and Runic are both still pure comedy AHAHAHAHA :D :twisted:

    Before John aka Volbard calls me "****", this 14-year old Clarisa from Spain runs to her mommy :mrgreen:
  • c0d3rguyc0d3rguy Posts: 1
    I am a little bit late to the party, but I got two questions:

    - Do you still use Ogre3D ?
    - Have you built any additional tools or just extended GUTS ?
  • PatrickBPatrickB Posts: 894 ✭✭
    c0d3rguy wrote:
    I am a little bit late to the party, but I got two questions:

    - Do you still use Ogre3D ?
    - Have you built any additional tools or just extended GUTS ?

    Yes it is Ogre3D at the base level, but heavily modified. I'm not sure how much of what is left from it to be honest.
    Mostly just extended lots of features in GUTS. We added a terrain system, and lots of other cool things.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    PatrickB wrote:
    c0d3rguy wrote:
    I am a little bit late to the party, but I got two questions:

    - Do you still use Ogre3D ?
    - Have you built any additional tools or just extended GUTS ?

    Yes it is Ogre3D at the base level, but heavily modified. I'm not sure how much of what is left from it to be honest.
    Mostly just extended lots of features in GUTS. We added a terrain system, and lots of other cool things.

    Will Hob be moddable?
    ItfooQF.png
Sign In or Register to comment.