Replacing a default skill with custom one

TommerbobTommerbob Posts: 59
edited July 2016 in GUTS Community Help
I'm trying to replace a skill on one of the default classes with a custom skill, but I can't figure it out. I'm following this tutorial: http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/showthread.php/6723-How-to-Create-a-Custom-Class-In-GUTS-with-images-n-stuff.

In the Unit Editor for player classes, under the Skill tab, there is no skills list, its just a blank tab. Where are the player class skills defined so that I can add/remove them?

When I try to edit the UI Layout, I change the Widget Name to the custom skill. But when I test it in-game, its just a blank black box where the skill should be.

Given those two problems, I tried adding my skill to the Skills tab of the player class in the Unit Editor, but then in-game, all of the other default skills disappeared. :/

What I want to do (seems?) pretty simple: Replace a skill of a default class with a new, custom skill. I've already made the skill in the Skills Editor with the necessary Affixes and everything, I just need to add it to one of the classes. Any help or ideas?

edit: Probably another important detail: I also use Synergies mod, I know that Synergies edits all of the class files. Is it possible to make it compatible?

Comments

• PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    In the Unit Editor for player classes, under the Skill tab, there is no skills list, its just a blank tab. Where are the player class skills defined so that I can add/remove them?

The vanilla classes use 3 .DAT files: the "base" file and 1 each for the male and female versions. The skills are contained in the base file (the gender files just "inherit" these from the base file) so its the base file you want to edit. You'll just be adding your new skill on to that list, no need to overwrite anything.

When I try to edit the UI Layout, I change the Widget Name to the custom skill. But when I test it in-game, its just a blank black box where the skill should be.

Once youve added your custom skill to the list in the base .DAT file, your edit to the skilltree should appear correctly.

Given those two problems, I tried adding my skill to the Skills tab of the player class in the Unit Editor, but then in-game, all of the other default skills disappeared. :/

If you made this change to one of the gender .DATs, that made it stop inheriting the skill list in the base file, so the tree appears empty.

Probably another important detail: I also use Synergies mod, I know that Synergies edits all of the class files. Is it possible to make it compatible?

I am not familiar with the innards of Synergies but theoretically if you made your changes working from the base file provided by Synergies (rather than the vanilla file) you should be able to get your change in without altering the other changes introduced by that file.
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • TommerbobTommerbob Posts: 59
    Thank you!
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    You're very welcome :)
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF