Let's Remember Runic Founders

IllBeBackIllBeBack Posts: 15
edited October 2016 in Off-Topic Discussions
Peter Hu - The man behind the famous D2 1.10 patch, he was a partner and one of the senior designers at Runic. He was also one of the 4 founders. He left the company first. Joined Gazillion to work under his former boss from Blizzard - the Diablo series creator David Brevik - to make Marvel Heroes. As of this moment, Marvel Heroes 2015's critic score is 81 and user score is 7.9 at Metacritic. Still a popular title according to steam charts. He left Gazilion later just before Gazillion boss Brevik stepped down from CEO position and left the company also.

Current Status: Unknown

Travis Baldree
- Largely known as the most influental person behind TL and TL2, he was the President, the Lead Programmer and one of the 4 founders. He too left the company with Erich Schaefer. They formed a two-men company Double Damage Games and eventually made Rebel Galaxy. The game was released on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. At the moment, the PC version's critic score is 75, user score is 8.0. The PS4 version's critic score is 64, user score is 7.0. The Xbox One version's critic score is 76 and user score is 7.1. According to steam charts, the game is not popular at the moment.

Current Status: CEO at Double Damage Games. Developing a new game with Erich Schaefer.

Erich Schaefer - One of the founders of Diablo makers Condor/Blizzard North, Erich was CCO and a senior designer at Runic. . He too left the company with Travis Baldree. They formed a two-men company Double Damage Games and eventually made Rebel Galaxy. The game was released on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. At the moment, the PC version's critic score is 75, user score is 8.0. The PS4 version's critic score is 64, user score is 7.0. The Xbox One version's critic score is 76 and user score is 7.1. According to steam charts, the game is not popular at the moment.

Current Status: President at Double Damage Games. Developing a new game with Travis Baldree.

Max Schaefer - One of the founders of Diablo makers Condor/Blizzard North, Max was CEO, a producer and the public face of Runic as the head of the company. He was also one of the 4 founders. He left the company around February 2016 to form Echtra, Inc. with fellow Blizzard North members Tyler Thompson, David Glenn and a fellow Runic member Justin Miller.

Current Status: CEO at Echtra, Inc. It's speculated that they're working on something close to an action MMORPG.

All the founders of Runic eventually left the company. At the moment, under the supervision of board director Bill Weizheng **** (a VP at Perfect World), Allen S. Fong who again came in from Perfect World in place of Max Schaefer heads the company as COO along with Marsh Lefler who is the President.

Comments

• NinesNines Posts: 33
    I actually wanted to apologize for one my previous posts a few years ago, but now reading this, I again have no idea what to think. Still, wish the best of luck to Runic, I'm enjoying Torchlight, Rebel Galaxy, and looking forward to Hob.
  • breadfanbreadfan Posts: 579
    Good luck to Max with his new endeavors. Dev union with ex-blizzards Tyler Thompson and David Glenn makes me quite excited for what is to come.

Still looking forward to Hob, of course, though I'm not entirely sure what's going to be with the company from now on.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭
    breadfan wrote:
    Good luck to Max with his new endeavors. Dev union with ex-blizzards Tyler Thompson and David Glenn makes me quite excited for what is to come.

Still looking forward to Hob, of course, though I'm not entirely sure what's going to be with the company from now on.
    There are still a lot of people at Runic who helped make the great games we all fell in love with. If we weren't encouraging and didn't give them a chance we wouldn't be showing much appreciation for all their past efforts. It's not like the people listed above worked alone. I'm not saying don't critique Hob when it comes out should it merit critique but I do feel Runic has earned a bit of loyalty.

I do wish communication were a little more frequent. I know one of the reasons I grew to respect Runic so much was their communication and friendliness with the people here on the forum. That's what helped them seem like a company that truly cared about us gamers.

At any rate a sincere thank you from the bottom of my heart to those who founded Runic and to all those who helped create the Torchlight series. To those working on Hob-I look forward to playing your new game and will do all I can to be as encouraging as I can be during the rest of development and as fair as I can be in my review of it when I finally do get to play it.
    ItfooQF.png
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭
    Four out of 19 people, but sure, that's everybody, sure.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
    Webbstre wrote:

Yeah I agree. OP should have included everyone else since Runic was and is a team not just three or four people. Everyone there helped make Torchlight and Torchlight II great not just Max, Erich, Travis and Peter.
    ItfooQF.png
  • Webbstre wrote:
    Zidders wrote:
    Yeah I agree. OP should have included everyone else since Runic was and is a team not just three or four people. Everyone there helped make Torchlight and Torchlight II great not just Max, Erich, Travis and Peter.

Why did you get so defensive? Is there something wrong? I shared some information about "the founders of the company" not "the workers of the company". I also shared some information about Runic's current management in case if anyone wonders who runs things now.

If I listed every single person who left Runic, it would take too much time. That wasn't the subject of this thread anyways.

Another piece of information: Travis and to a degree Erich and Max worked on Hob even after they left the company and made a running prototype for Runic to help them start from somewhere where they feel comfortable enough. Very nice and classy guys! Hopefully lads at Runic will pull this off and release a stable game...
  • SerkevanSerkevan Posts: 1,586
    I think what Webbstre and Zidders meant is that everyone working at Runic at the moment of its inception (is it two "at" there?) should be considered "founders", not just the heads of the studio. Which definition of founder is technically correct is up for debate, but well...
  • IllBeBackIllBeBack Posts: 15
    edited September 2016
    Serkevan wrote:
    I think what Webbstre and Zidders meant is that everyone working at Runic at the moment of its inception (is it two "at" there?) should be considered "founders", not just the heads of the studio. Which definition of founder is technically correct is up for debate, but well...

But, they're not "just" the heads of the studio. They are the founders that ... well, "founded" the company. We call people who found a company "founder". At least legally that's how it works. On the paper, those 4 are the founders always and the owners once. It's not up to some sort of philosophical debate.

We can discuss QA interns that left the company in an another thread right? No one is forcing us to talk about every Runic member, here, in this thread, right now or nothing at all. You won't force me right ? :P

Still I don't get why this informative post has been a problem for those two posters and why they wanted me to call other members founders too... Usual forum fighters that are trying to start debate out of nothing?
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭
    Other than the key founders, I would consider Marsh, Greg, Jason and Brock as founders as well, not the faces of the company but founders regardless. Travis, Marsh, Brock, Jason and Greg all worked at Wildtangent between 1998-2006.

Marsh has stepped into Travis' role, he was the Vice President. Brock is still at Runic(i think) he's responsible for pretty much all the IT related tasks, producing and some coding. Greg left runic a while back to work on a small indie project, he was responsible with developing the Tools used in the development of Torchlight and is the foundation of the modified toolset used in Hob. Jason is responsible for the Art direction of the Torchlight Series, he left in 2013.
  • Omnifas wrote:
    Other than the key founders, I would consider Marsh, Greg, Jason and Brock as founders as well, not the faces of the company but founders regardless. Travis, Marsh, Brock, Jason and Greg all worked at Wildtangent between 1998-2006.

Marsh has stepped into Travis' role, he was the Vice President. Brock is still at Runic(i think) he's responsible for pretty much all the IT related tasks, producing and some coding. Greg left runic a while back to work on a small indie project, he was responsible with developing the Tools used in the development of Torchlight and is the foundation of the modified toolset used in Hob. Jason is responsible for the Art direction of the Torchlight Series, he left in 2013.

There is no such thing as "key founders". At least legally. There are just "founders" (and owners).

Max Schaefer, Travis Baldree, Erich Schaefer and Peter Hu founded Runic Games (and owned Runic Games at the time). All others were hires regardless of where they have been at the time or for whom they worked for before... They may have a share in the company now (I don't think so), but that doesn't make them founders.

Edit: Why are we even debating this? I still don't get the point...
    IllBeBack wrote:
    Why are we even debating this? I still don't get the point...
    Relax. It's not a big deal.
    ItfooQF.png
    Because legalspeak usually has absolutely nothing to do with the reality of the situations. I couldn't care less about Kagemasa Kōzuki founding Konami when the one behind Metal Gear was Hideo Kojima. Sure, you are technically correct in everything you have said, but connotation is a thing.
  • Serkevan wrote:
    Because legalspeak usually has absolutely nothing to do with the reality of the situations. I couldn't care less about Kagemasa Kōzuki founding Konami when the one behind Metal Gear was Hideo Kojima. Sure, you are technically correct in everything you have said, but connotation is a thing.

Well that would be an awesome topic of an another thread but not here.

If we get into that, I would call Runic Games "Travis Baldree and his dev mates". You could replace anyone but Travis and we would get more or less the same games. On the marketing side, without Erich and Max Schaefer (along with D3 controversy) the series wouldn't sell the one tenth of what it actually sold.

So, in core, there's only 1 person who is mostly responsible for the Torchlight series. In the big picture, there are 3 people that were actually responsible for the success of Torchlight and Runic Games.I didn't want the thread to end up with this topic which you guys brought me into but here we are anyways.

Hard truths cut both ways.
    IllBeBack wrote:
    Look the whole point was the 15 or 16 people who were part of the group of people who helped each other after Flagship went **** up deserve just as much credit, that's all. You're the one who got all butthurt because **** some of us said, "Hey-we appreciate the post but we should probably remember these other folks because they put in a lot of hard work, blood, sweat, tears and money, too". That's it.

I don't get what the big deal is about spreading some of the credit OR why you had to take it where you did. It just makes it seem a lot less like you actually wanted to give people credit and a lot more like you made the original post for some other ulterior motive.
    ItfooQF.png
  • Zidders wrote:
    IllBeBack wrote:
    Look the whole point was the 15 or 16 people who were part of the group of people who helped each other after Flagship went **** up deserve just as much credit, that's all. You're the one who got all butthurt because **** some of us said, "Hey-we appreciate the post but we should probably remember these other folks because they put in a lot of hard work, blood, sweat, tears and money, too". That's it.

I don't get what the big deal is about spreading some of the credit OR why you had to take it where you did. It just makes it seem a lot less like you actually wanted to give people credit and a lot more like you made the original post for some other ulterior motive.

I don't think that many people from Flagship were in the starting phases of Runic Games. It was mostly Travis, his friends and Schaefers along with Hu from Flagship.

Butthurt? Why? It's really inappropriate to say something like that to someone you don't even know. Please apologise. I got offended.

Alright. I'll reveal my ulterior movie. I'm after World **** by posting in a game forum that's visited less than 100 times a day. Because I'm an obsessive psychopath that won't stop at less... Please tell me you are kidding, right? Where did this come from suddenIy?

Whatever... All those people that work at Runic are founders and all those people* that work at Runic are equally responsible for Torchlight Series. Let's play TL2 together now and become friends :ugeek:

Edit: I bet sneaky Webbstre is sending PMs and informing people already :)

* Except John.
    IllBeBack wrote:
    Butthurt? Why? It's really inappropriate to say something like that to someone you don't even know. Please apologise. I got offended.
    You're right and I apologize. That was unkind of me. I'm sorry.
    ItfooQF.png
  • Zidders wrote:
    IllBeBack wrote:
    You're right and I apologize. That was unkind of me. I'm sorry.

Apology accepted, Zidders.

Since you seem to know a great deal about Flagship, I wonder did you play Hellgate:London and beat the game for once?
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭
    I'll be Honest, I had an ulterior motive, I felt guilty not including those guys 6 years ago in the History of Torchlight Wiki Article on RGF.

I saw an info giving thread and felt like contributing info.
    IllBeBack wrote:
    I wonder did you play Hellgate:London and beat the game for once?
    I played the game through to the end back in 2009. Then over the years I'd uninstall it, go for a few years without playing it then get an itch to replay it again. I modded it using the fan mod and that made it a bit better. It seemed to fix a lot of the graphics issues I was having and added a lot of the balance changes they'd been beta testing when the company went kaput.

All in all it had a huge amount of potential. I think its biggest failure was that they tried to go big right out the gate and got in over their heads. It's too bad Steam greenlight wasn't around then. I think early access would have been a better route for them to have gone. Then again Flagship failing led to Torchlight and (soon) HoB. Hopefully HoB will continue to make up for all the negativity they've had to deal with over the years.
    ItfooQF.png
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭
    There were something like 17-19 founders. Founders defined as the group that founded the company. You just picked a few high profile names.

Plus, every time someone comes out of nowhere with a name like yours complaining about the people who work here, I immediately suspect a certain someone who was banned multiple times and can't seem to let go. If that's you, Permaximum, seriously, let it go. If that's not you, then either way your post was written in either an uninformed or deliberately dis-informative manner.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
    Webbstre wrote:
    Plus, every time someone comes out of nowhere with a name like yours complaining about the people who work here, I immediately suspect a certain someone who was banned multiple times and can't seem to let go.

Heh, unless it's (again) a baseless rant against the lack of physics. Then it's Applebob.
  • Webbstre wrote:
    There were something like 17-19 founders. Founders defined as the group that founded the company. You just picked a few high profile names.

Plus, every time someone comes out of nowhere with a name like yours complaining about the people who work here, I immediately suspect a certain someone who was banned multiple times and can't seem to let go. If that's you, Permaximum, seriously, let it go. If that's not you, then either way your post was written in either an uninformed or deliberately dis-informative manner.

No, there weren't. 4 people founded Runic Games. Erich Schaefer, Max Schaefer, Travis Baldree and Peter Hu and they all left the company. There's no point in hiding this simple fact.

Perhaps it's better to back our words with credible sources, won't you agree?

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization ... es#/entity

I haven't complained about one small thing in the OP, what are you talking about? I don't know who this "Permaximum" guy is but I think you're the one that writes posts in an uninformed or dis-informative manner. So far, all evidence works against you.
  • BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,261 admin
    You're actually both correct. Legally, there were four original founders, but we've always had a very flat hierarchy. The original 15 or so who started together after Flagship are considered internally as founders.
    BrianW
    Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/runicgames

For technical support, send a PM or contact us. You can check our knowledgebase for solutions to common issues.

N9PPYBB.png
    Hob – coming soon to PC and PS4.
  • BrianW wrote:
    You're actually both correct. Legally, there were four original founders, but we've always had a very flat hierarchy. The original 15 or so who started together after Flagship are considered internally as founders.

Well, in fact I've already mentioned I was talking about the "legal" founders of Runic. Still, Webbstre insisted it's not true and there were like 17-19 founders and I just picked a few high-profile names. So, I don't think it's fair to state he was correct too. Especially considering the fact that he and his friend blamed me for some ulterior motive by not including the others.

Anyways, I didn't want to sound like other members of Runic have not contributed to the Torchlights. I guess everyone in Runic was an important part of those games. Some may get more credit thanks to being more in the news, articles etc. some may not. I wish everyone in Runic good fortune and hope Hob succeeds. I'm really tired of all the hate and negativity on the Internet to the point that I rarely ever visit any website or follow the social media so let's end this here.
  • DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
    I just came by because I forgot my keys, but I'm glad this place is still...lively? xD
  • DarkTails wrote:
    I just came by because I forgot my keys, but I'm glad this place is still...lively? xD

Then it looks my duty here is done.

I'll be back!