ok.. so about the key you can buy for unlocking.

carnage665carnage665 Posts: 29
edited October 2009 in TL General Discussions
will you be able to keep using the same key for unlocking the game... or will it only work like one or 2 times. (i format my computer from time to time, so i'll need a key that i can use to re-install the game each time i do a format). otherwise it would ****.. i cant afford to buy a key every i format my comp :(
Anyone have any info on this?? cant seem to find it on the forums..

grtz

Comments

• ZolyxZolyx Posts: 96
    All we've been told is that the DRM will be relatively minor, and it is confirmed that the boxed retail version of Torchlight will not have DRM at all.
    Zolyx - a mostly harmless retro, indie and MMO gamer
    Sometimes you just have to make your own luck.
  • I am planning (for a long time now) to wait for the boxed version. I just hope I'm able to wait. :) Well, there are a couple of games I bought twice... No, I'm not obsessed, it just happened. You know how life is...
  • ****, so what your saying is that i'll have to wait for the boxed version if i want to able to re-install the game as many times as i want? any info for when the boxed version will be available and in what stores? :( (**** i really wanted to get as soon as it was released the 27th)
  • Boxed version is not due until January as I recall. I would suggest buying the downloadable version. For one thing, it allows more of the profit to go directly to the developer without the costs associated with retail distribution. It is also only $20, which is roughly the cost of a couple of pizzas (which are eaten, digested, and subsequently disposed of forever), so I don't see it as a really high price to pay.

You may want to consider making an image of your computer once you have it reformatted and have your basic applications and torchlight installed. Then when you need to "reformat" your PC, you could simply reimage it and you'd have all your basic apps back in place. As far as I know, there would be no need to worry about the Torchlight activations if the product is already activated on the image.
  • SeerSeer Posts: 2,445
    The thing is some people like me can't buy online so hoping I can buy the retail version in a store
  • HygiliakHygiliak Posts: 178
    carnage665 wrote:
    ****, so what your saying is that i'll have to wait for the boxed version if i want to able to re-install the game as many times as i want? any info for when the boxed version will be available and in what stores? :( (**** i really wanted to get as soon as it was released the 27th)

You should wait for a dev to reply before jumping to any conclusions, since this is not a metter that has been explicitely discussed as far as I know.
    Death is not an option! - The **** Dive
  • Hygiliak wrote:
    carnage665 wrote:
    ****, so what your saying is that i'll have to wait for the boxed version if i want to able to re-install the game as many times as i want? any info for when the boxed version will be available and in what stores? :( (**** i really wanted to get as soon as it was released the 27th)

You should wait for a dev to reply before jumping to any conclusions, since this is not a metter that has been explicitely discussed as far as I know.

Hey looks it's a dev replying! So the thing is that it really depends on who you buy it through or at. For example you could actually play for the game per-session using Wildtangents wildcoins. Or you could buy the game through them and I believe it's like 5 unlocks before you have to contact them. Then there is steam; which once you buy it you can play it anywhere and install it anywhere. Then there are about a billion other online distributors with different rules.

With that said we still can't say who you can buy the game through yet( it's totally stupid but contracts are contracts - and hopefully very soon we can ). If you do buy it through our site - well we haven't decided how many unlocks you'll get yet but you will have a limited number.

As far as the box version - sorry but it won't be out on the 27th.
  • MichaelMichael Posts: 263
    I personally plan on buying this game twice... once on the 27th, and also once the disc copies hit the shelves.

Actually more, since I plan to buy the disc as gifts for at least my two nephews, maybe more. :)
  • AxlerAxler Posts: 163
    My biggest concern was, due to crumby bandwidth at my house i will have to download it from a friends house and transport it to my house to do the install. But it sounds like this wont be a problem. As long as its not a direct to drive in a installed format. It sounds like i will be able to transport it and install on my computer and use the key with my slow bandwidth to do the unlock. I am kew with all of that.

And if torchlight is selling it direct... Why would i buy from anywhere else???
  • My only hope for the process is that it's clear and explained without euphamizing it to the point where we don't understand what we're paying for. Hellgate and Sacred 2 have both bitten me in the ****, so I'm a bit gun shy when dealing with a new game. It's amazing to me that the industry has mess up developement, production, and delivery to the extent that they have.
  • SkeeterSkeeter Posts: 15
    I Have a PC and a Macbook.

If, after trying the demo, I decide to purchase a key and unlock the game on my PC....will that same key unlock the game on my MacBook when OS X version is released?
  • ShardzShardz Posts: 1,384
    Skeeter wrote:

If, after trying the demo, I decide to purchase a key and unlock the game on my PC....will that same key unlock the game on my MacBook when OS X version is released?

I would have to say yes on that one as they probably won't change their algorithm for the port. You will most likely be charged with another unlock if you buy the download version...and how many unlocks you get depends on the distributer you purchase the key from.
  • SkeeterSkeeter Posts: 15
    Shardz wrote:
    Skeeter wrote:

I would have to say yes on that one as they probably won't change their algorithm for the port. You will most likely be charged with another unlock if you buy the download version...and how many unlocks you get depends on the distributer you purchase the key from.

That's kinda what I thought Shardz. And the thing is if I end up really liking this game, I won't mind buying a second key anyway. At $20 it's a bargain and two keys is still less than one of most.

If I do like and buy it will be straight from Runic, more change in the dev's pockets and I like supporting the little guys.
    Bebop wrote:
    If you do buy it through our site - well we haven't decided how many unlocks you'll get yet but you will have a limited number.

Let me ask you a question. Do you really believe in the usefulness of this limited unlock mechanism, or you implement it as part of an agreement/law/whatever?
    Hygiliak wrote:
    Bebop wrote:
    If you do buy it through our site - well we haven't decided how many unlocks you'll get yet but you will have a limited number.

Let me ask you a question. Do you really believe in the usefulness of this limited unlock mechanism, or you implement it as part of an agreement/law/whatever?

I imagine they have limited amount of unlocks to protect themselves from piracy basically. There isn't much stopping someone from uploading their digital download with the serial key to **** sites and having 1,200 people jump on it in one hour. This would at least cap the unlock to a few installs...and it really wouldn't be worth someone doing that as their key is linked to their personal info in a database. However, as Travis mentioned, it's almost impossible to stop illegal distribution of the game and I think the install limit keeps the good guys in check more than the bad ones. It's like having locks on your car doors...those are only for honest people as the thieves will just bust through them. I also think that they intended those limited unlocks to be for your own personal use and not a network. For the price of one key you could install the game to X amount of computers (like at a University) and that wouldn't be very fair to Runic. Unfortunately, the good guys pay for the bad guys actions it seems.
  • travisbaldreetravisbaldree Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭✭
    We're probably just going to throw a bunch of unlocks on there - 10 or more. We don't really want it to be a hassle, and we'll probably use the absolute minimum protection possible for our own distributed versions. The reason for this is really that we want to do an unlock demo because, to be frank, they just sell better. If someone doesn't have to download the game, and then download it AGAIN if they want to buy that, it's just a better experience.
    So my preference is to make it very very light DRM with a large-but-limited number of unlocks. If you buy the game, I don't care if you install it on every PC in your house.
    We're probably just going to throw a bunch of unlocks on there - 10 or more. We don't really want it to be a hassle, and we'll probably use the absolute minimum protection possible for our own distributed versions. The reason for this is really that we want to do an unlock demo because, to be frank, they just sell better. If someone doesn't have to download the game, and then download it AGAIN if they want to buy that, it's just a better experience.
    So my preference is to make it very very light DRM with a large-but-limited number of unlocks. If you buy the game, I don't care if you install it on every PC in your house.

Point taken.
    Here's another question, kind of off the topic... will Torchlight come with some kind of Perfect World game hub install or anything (kinda like how you got the Wildgames thing with Fate) or will it be completely stand alone? I'm guessing there will, at minimum, be a Perfect World splash screen that might have some kind of ads for their other games?

Just curious.
    That is a good question and yet another reason why I'll probably pick this game up at Runic. As much as I loved Fate, I wasn't wild about having the Wild Tangent driver on my computer at all. But, I will say this; the Wild Tangent program works great at Frys and at computer stores! I ended up buying my new 24" LCD monitor by loading up Fate through the Frys Wild Tangent account and was playing it right there in the store and gave me an accurate representation of what the monitor looked like. Granted, you could always uninstall the Wild Tangent stuff, but on my personal computer at home...I just want the game and to keep the spam in the can. :)
    My hatred for most publishers is enough to make me download it directly from Runic :lol: (plus, the company gets more money this way, right?)
  • travisbaldreetravisbaldree Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's another question, kind of off the topic... will Torchlight come with some kind of Perfect World game hub install or anything (kinda like how you got the Wildgames thing with Fate) or will it be completely stand alone? I'm guessing there will, at minimum, be a Perfect World splash screen that might have some kind of ads for their other games?

Should just be the game - no weird launcher or game hub thingy. We're not trying to cram a game distribution system down your throat - just want to sell you the game :)
    It really depends on where you buy the game I suppose. If you buy if from Runic or Perfect World, I would assume their cut is about the same as Perfect World is funding Runic anyway. Either way, the funds should go 100% to recoup the costs of production. Places like Walmart require stocking fees and those aren't cheap at all! I remember back in my old retail game dev days that CompUSA wanted $100k right off the bat to stock our games for a month in all their stores (!!!). Steam will definitely take a small chunk out of the pie as will other distribution companies. I think for best results, Runic and Perfect World are the best options...but I believe they will just be happy if you purchase the game period no matter what method you choose.

Should just be the game - no weird launcher or game hub thingy. We're not trying to cram a game distribution system down your throat - just want to sell you the game :)

Nice! :)
  • SrikandiSrikandi Posts: 334
    Steam is probably the best option for anybody who anticipates having to reinstall a lot, whether it's on different computers or because of frequent reformats. It's a convenient system for that. Buy it once, reinstall any time, anywhere, forever, for free. I have a friend who's doing a semester abroad in Japan, and he's delighted that he can access most of his game library and also get the latest games (in US editions) over there without problems. They also have sales and good deals from time to time.

The downside to Steam is that they DO have a distribution system which will camp out on your computer; you won't have to look at their launcher every time you play, but they will be lurking in your system tray, and they'll show you ads for other games when they have a chance ;) So for somebody who really wants to keep their system pure, you may not like it. I resisted for a while, and I still prefer to pick up a box game at the store if I can get it right away, but my local Gamestop is selling fewer and fewer small titles, so it's usually more convenient to just get it from Steam... and once you have one game from them, there's no additional overhead for more games.

However, if Steam doesn't have Torchlight yet on release day, I would probably get it from Runic too ;)
  • tomagabrieltomagabriel Posts: 133
    edited April 2015
    These being said, I think we can all be happy Torchlight will ship in many (probably all) forms to fill all tastes: with/without DRM, from various www locations including Runic and also in box with no DRM. As long as it stays like this I see the world in pink. Of course, we are waiting for more updates with details.
  • Joined today to speak about this, been lurking since Flagship went ****. Anyways, my thing with the DRM is...

I want to have the ability to install this game in 10 years down the line and enjoy it, I don't want to worry about unlocks or having to call a number that doesn't work or using an auth server that's been taken down. From what it sounds like i need to wait for retail for that. Unless there is a way to download an EXE from you guys or another site that installs the game with everything I need and that's it.

Im a member of GOG.com and love them for this ability. Archive your games install them whenever however you like.

So i guess what im curious about is if that ability will exist in someway for Torchlight though Digital Distribution?
    Starkrun wrote:
    Joined today to speak about this, been lurking since Flagship went ****. Anyways, my thing with the DRM is...

I want to have the ability to install this game in 10 years down the line and enjoy it, I don't want to worry about unlocks or having to call a number that doesn't work or using an auth server that's been taken down. From what it sounds like i need to wait for retail for that. Unless there is a way to download an EXE from you guys or another site that installs the game with everything I need and that's it.

Im a member of GOG.com and love them for this ability. Archive your games install them whenever however you like.

So i guess what im curious about is if that ability will exist in someway for Torchlight though Digital Distribution?

Welcome aboard and it's good you came out of the shadows! :D The apparent game plan is that the downloaded version will have very minor DRM as an unlockable demo that requires a key to activate to full version. This key that you purchase will unlock this downloadable version around 10 times or so (maybe a bit more). They have mentioned that the box version will *probably* not have DRM included. I'm assuming that the box serial key will also open the downloadable demo as well in case of future version updates or whatever. As for plans to store anything on their server, that is highly doubtful. Although, the game should be available on Steam about 30 days after the initial release and they do all that game storage stuff with your key and all. The editor (Preditor) for the game sounds like a separate download and is quite possibly subject to updates in the future. Personally, I'm just going to download the game along with my key and burn it to CD. I don't think I have ever installed any single version of a program more than 10 times and that method suits me well.
  • well.. like some of you pointed out... 20$ isn't too much if its a fun game and if it helps out runic a little more then i'm all for it. I guess i'll be buying it from them directly the 27th (you convinced me ;) ) and then ill buy the boxed version when it comes out next year (for the sake of being able to install it as much times as i want with the boxed key).

I do however have one more question:

1. i've never bought a key online.. can anyone tell me how it will work (will they send you a key via email or something)???
    2. Will the game-download be direct to drive?? or will it be like an install.exe-file that you can save in another location (in case you need to reinstall the game again on a later date)??
    3. The only way i can pay for the key is via VISA, but it's my uncle's visa-card... It's not like when i go to his home and he pays online with visa, that the game and the key are automaticly locked too his computer right?? 'Cause i'll still need to transport it home to my computer to play it!! :shock: (i know the game i'll be able to download at home, but it's the key i'm worried about, will be send to MY email adress or something like that???)

any info on this for me??
    grtz
    I've never payed online for anything, so I'm asking: can I pay if my account uses my local currency or do I need an account in dollars?
  • xlence81xlence81 Posts: 109
    And what if someones uses to format his PC and Laptop every 4 months or so...?

Does the 10 Unlocks - thing mean that he can play TL in both machines for no more than 1 year and 2 months?

I'm just try to share my thoughts on this. I dont actually format my pc every 4 months :)

But what if some people do?