You’re Welcome

SimonSaysBakaSimonSaysBaka Posts: 680
edited December 2016 in Off-Topic Discussions
So, something has been bothering me for years, its not a huge problem but a major annoyance, its the fact people say "You’re Welcome" after you say "thank you". Yes I know it doesn't make sense but let me explain, So I make a lot of art and other things, sometimes I end up showing it to someone and most of the time I get good feedback critique and such, like for an example they say that it looks great, or awezome and so on or they point out what could be done better or what could add to the art piece, so here comes the annoying part,

most times its just this person saying
"looks awezome man",

and I respond

"thank you, it makes me happy you like my work"

Most of the time this ends here unless they have some questions or such.

So here is when "You’re Welcome" gets annoying.

They say

"Awezome work man"

Then I reply

"Thank you, happy you like it"

Then they reply

"You’re Welcome"

This right here **** me off, I know people aren't doing it to **** me off, or I hope not, but its just such a bad reply to the whole thing, I mean if they saved me from falling of a cliff or freaking gave me a new car I understand but they just typed in "awezome work man" no real feedback other then they liked it, they do not deserve a medal, this has me annoyed a lot, why do people use this response like they are some kind of holy knight up on their steed!

Maybe im **** in the head, and the only one that gets annoyed by this, I see it everywhere I just doesn't feel right
Hope I didn't sound too much of an ****, Im still really appreciate that people take time out of their lives to post a comment and offer me feedback on my art, I just dont get the whole "You’re Welcome"

Cheers.
I like Cake!

Comments

• PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    A lot of times, "youre welcome" is just an automatic response to a "thank you", uttered without much thought at all.
    So I dont think its worth affecting your peace of mind Simon ;)
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,263 admin
    Simon-

As Phanjam said: If you say "thank you," people will generally respond with "you're welcome" – if they respond at all.

Lifehack: If you – like me – are generally uncomfortable with this exchange and want to subtly circumvent it, respond with something more ambiguous, like: "Cheers! Glad you like it."
    BrianW
    Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/runicgames

For technical support, send a PM or contact us. You can check our knowledgebase for solutions to common issues.

N9PPYBB.png
    Hob – coming soon to PC and PS4.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79DijItQXMM
    You're welcome. :)

It's really just a customary way of showing appreciation for being appreciated. I can see how it might be annoying but IMO it depends on the context (see above).
    ItfooQF.png
  • Phanjam wrote:
    A lot of times, "youre welcome" is just an automatic response to a "thank you", uttered without much thought at all.
    So I dont think its worth affecting your peace of mind Simon ;)
    I see, yea guess so, its hard to over come things when they are hard wired in, but i can see that it comes from people trying to be polite now.

BrianW wrote:
    Lifehack: If you – like me – are generally uncomfortable with this exchange and want to subtly circumvent it, respond with something more ambiguous, like: "Cheers! Glad you like it."[/i]
    Thats Genius! :D

Zidders wrote:
    I can see how it might be annoying but IMO it depends on the context (see above).
    Yea true that.
    I like Cake!
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭
    I see, yea guess so, its hard to over come things when they are hard wired in, but i can see that it comes from people trying to be polite now.
    That's really all it is. Just people trying to be appreciative. ^_^
    ItfooQF.png