What is the endgame like? (and question about set pieces)

Hal9000xHal9000x Posts: 47
edited December 2016 in TL2 General Discussions
New player here. Enjoying the game. Curious what the endgame is like. So far, this game is played for the enjoyment of playing. But it's unique as a hack-n-slash in that there is no mob respawn. So there is virtually no chance of collecting more than 2 or 3 pieces of a gear set, and only a tiny amount of storage. This makes me curious about the endgame. Is there any point to saving pieces of a set? You can't "farm" for more pieces since once a zone is cleared, you move on to higher level sets, where again you have no chance to collect a full set. Do the pieces you save scale up when you start NG+? Is there an endgame where you can farm for additional set pieces? Is there any kind of endgame in the traditional hack n slash sense? Or is this just a game to play for the sake of content progression only? Seems strange to include 6 or 7 piece sets given all of the above. So far I've never gotten the opportunity to use more than 2 pieces of a set, with the very rapid gear progression in this game.

Comments

• SerkevanSerkevan Posts: 1,586
    You can reroll areas to keep farming level ranges. Also, once you beat the game you get access to the Mapworks: here, you purchase maps that open mini-dungeons (two floors + boss) to farm.

Hope it helps and welcome!
  • Serkevan wrote:
    You can reroll areas to keep farming level ranges. Also, once you beat the game you get access to the Mapworks: here, you purchase maps that open mini-dungeons (two floors + boss) to farm.

Hope it helps and welcome!

Hi Serkevan. I did finish the game and did some mapworks stuff, also NG. How do you reroll areas? When I clear one, the mobs do not respawn.
    Either move through two other areas (or 3, can't exactly remember) or go into LAN game, checking the "reroll world" box. The first method is slower if you want to clear a particular zone, although as items are not tied to areas (they depend only on the level range of the monsters/chests that drop them) you generally wouldn't mind rampaging through adjacent areas too.
  • Cool, thank you. So I assume the rerolled/returned to zones would then be lower level than you, and hence very fast to clear? Or do they scale up when you go back to them?
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Hal9000x wrote:
    Cool, thank you. So I assume the rerolled/returned to zones would then be lower level than you, and hence very fast to clear? Or do they scale up when you go back to them?

No they'll be at the same level they were the first time you cleared them. So they'll be much easier to clear again, but you'll barely get any xp from doing so :P
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
    Yep, one you are a handful levels above the area, progress slows down a lot. Realistically, you are not going to get a full set with a single character during normal play. Even farming, you'll probably outlevel a given set before you complete it. It's more of a shared stash thing (or multiplayer trading).
  • Serkevan wrote:
    Yep, one you are a handful levels above the area, progress slows down a lot. Realistically, you are not going to get a full set with a single character during normal play. Even farming, you'll probably outlevel a given set before you complete it. It's more of a shared stash thing (or multiplayer trading).

Yeah, figured that out. Started a second character to take advantage of the stuff my primary is finding. Might even get all 4! Although from what I see, I am not really thrilled with the non-hybrid types...boring. Engy and Outlander ftw.
    Ah, but the Zerker can actually be a hybrid, or even caster (well, sort of)... And I've had more fun than I should be allowed playing a melee embermage. It's all in the build :D