Mapworks and outleveling NG+ content :(

Hal9000xHal9000x Posts: 47
edited December 2016 in TL2 General Discussions
I played one map in mapworks before doing NG+, and I'm only on Normal so I was too high level throughout it. It ****...so now I'm eligible for NG++ but just rerunning the main game can get stale. I would love to mix in some Mapworks maps, but this outleveling thing is a bummer. I'm at level 83 now...should I just force myself through NG++, or does the levelling start to stretch out enough that you can mix n match?

And what if I just stick to mapworks for all the levels that would have been NG++? Is the game smart enough to switch me up to NG+++ at some point?

Basically it seems like once you choose mapworks, you're stuck with it forever. The game doesn't scale to your level. Now, in RPGs I hate that. Hack n Slash on the other hand, really needs it. For those of you who have ever lurked on rpg.net: "Torchlight II: Doesn't scale to your level".

Comments

• ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭
    You could always make a new character. That's kinda what the devs intended. NG+ was something they added for the benefit of people obsessed with high level characters and more levels but really the optimal way to play the game is playing it through with a different character/build.
    ItfooQF.png
  • RnFRnF Posts: 1,000
    Hal9000x wrote:
    I played one map in mapworks before doing NG+, and I'm only on Normal so I was too high level throughout it. It ****...so now I'm eligible for NG++ but just rerunning the main game can get stale. I would love to mix in some Mapworks maps, but this outleveling thing is a bummer. I'm at level 83 now...should I just force myself through NG++, or does the levelling start to stretch out enough that you can mix n match?

And what if I just stick to mapworks for all the levels that would have been NG++? Is the game smart enough to switch me up to NG+++ at some point?

Basically it seems like once you choose mapworks, you're stuck with it forever. The game doesn't scale to your level. Now, in RPGs I hate that. Hack n Slash on the other hand, really needs it. For those of you who have ever lurked on rpg.net: "Torchlight II: Doesn't scale to your level".

The games Dungeons/Town Levels scale off of the NG+ mode by a graph up to Level 120 which starts at NG+4. NG+5 is the same level 120.

Mapworks is kind of broken imo. I agree with you that you kind of get stuck with it and have a hard choice to make by abandoning it by moving on to the next NG+. I wish Runic would have treated it like the Endless Dungeon in TL1. Where once you beat the game once, you could access the Endless Dungeon at any time.

The other thing broken with Mapworks, is that is does NOT scale with the NG+, it has as setting to ingore that. So it has a static dungeon level assigned to it, which kind of breaks the town in relation to the character level.

Mapworks will not push you onto the next NG+, NG+ isn't based off of character level. So the only way to move on to the next NG+ is by beating Act IV and talking the quest giver that does that.

The one good thing with Mapworks, it allows one to level a character by NOT moving onto the next NG+. This allows someone to play with their friends online. Once you move onto the next NG+, you can only play with friends who are on the same NG+ level as you are.

Do you play with Mods? I have a mod that will fix the Mapworks for you ;)

I have been working on a mod that includes Mapworks changes, I have split the Mapworks changes into their own stand alone mod, it will make some basic changes that should allow you to enjoy Mapworks at anytime. Did this last night unknowingly to your issue, your post timing is good ;)

What the mod does
    1. Gives the General Goods Vendor in all towns a scroll to sell that can warp you to the Mapworks at anytime (it is expensive though)
    2. Gives the General Goods Vendor in all towns the ability to sell maps that scale with the town they are sold in
    3. Scales Mapworks Maps to the NG+ levels you are in
    4. Removes maps from the Mapvendor (it is a broken vendor and can't sell maps to scale), but added maps to be sold by the General Vendor in Mapworks

MOD DOWNLOAD

EDIT: Maps will start at level 50ish or so. So if you try to do mapworks at level 1, you may not survive and the vendors may not sell the maps anyway. With my larger mod, Maps have been reworked to start at level 10 and go all the way to level 999 :) Your level 83 character should be good to go though.