Dev Diaries: What would you like to see?

BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,310 admin
Open thread! :)
BrianW
Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/runicgames

Comments

• DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
    I'm having a hard time coming up with questions about the game, partly because I've never seen a game like it. It's a wordless game that reveals a story through punching ancient constructs in the faceplate (and the entire handcrafted world of course), I kinda want to step back and watch where all the pieces fall into place.

Asking for peeks at the levels or enemies to come feels like asking for spoilers because the story is entirely visual. I'm afraid I'll accidentally see something and be like AHA! I knew the HoB protagonist was actually a robot powered by squirrels running on a hamster wheel!

There isn't any loot to ask about or numbers to pick at, there's just this big mysterious experience plodding towards us like a shadowy colossus and I'll be happy to wait patiently for it to get here instead of run towards it and get stepped on lol

Buuuuuuttt if I had to ask for something...

-I'd like to see more concept art. How many iterations of the characters were there and why were the current models deemed the best?

-What kind of challenges are there in animating something like the funky way the character climbs a ladder with the gauntlet on? It looks good, did someone wear a heavy arm cast and climb ladders to give you an idea for the animation?

-I imagine we'll be gawking at the scenery often, leaving our character standing around. Can we expect a wide variety of idle animations to keep the character entertained? :lol:
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Agree with DT about feeling that almost any Q/A could be a spoiler. I am at a loss!
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    I think the biggest thing I'm wondering is what sort of story this will be. I'm hoping it's something that will make me fall in love with the character. Right now they've got a cute look but what are they like? What sort of personality will they have? Will there be a story in this that will make me feel an emotional attachment to them? The main issue I had with Torchlight II is that I felt disconnected from my character. I felt like things were happening to other characters and didn't feel all that connected to the narrative.
    There were a few places where I almost felt a connection-the Alchemists notes bits-but for the most part it was all about smashing baddies and getting loot. I'd like this to be about more than just puzzle solving and exploration. How in a game without dialogue are you going to give us characters worth falling in love with or coming to hate?

Please don't take any of this as meaning I disliked Torchlight II. There's a lot to love about it and there are a few bits of story I loved a lot. I just felt the game would have been better had it had a lot more of them.
    ItfooQF.png
  • D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭
    DarkTails wrote:
    I'm having a hard time coming up with questions about the game, partly because I've never seen a game like it. It's a wordless game that reveals a story through punching ancient constructs in the faceplate (and the entire handcrafted world of course), I kinda want to step back and watch where all the pieces fall into place.

Asking for peeks at the levels or enemies to come feels like asking for spoilers because the story is entirely visual. I'm afraid I'll accidentally see something and be like AHA! I knew the HoB protagonist was actually a robot powered by squirrels running on a hamster wheel!

There isn't any loot to ask about or numbers to pick at, there's just this big mysterious experience plodding towards us like a shadowy colossus and I'll be happy to wait patiently for it to get here instead of run towards it and get stepped on lol

-I'd like to see more concept art. How many iterations of the characters were there and why were the current models deemed the best?

-What kind of challenges are there in animating something like the funky way the character climbs a ladder with the gauntlet on? It looks good, did someone wear a heavy arm cast and climb ladders to give you an idea for the animation?

-I imagine we'll be gawking at the scenery often, leaving our character standing around. Can we expect a wide variety of idle animations to keep the character entertained? :lol:
    Phanjam wrote:
    Agree with DT about feeling that almost any Q/A could be a spoiler. I am at a loss!

I feel the same way that almost anything being shown might hurt the narrative and this game might be one of those games that the first time running through the game will be filled with a lot of wow moments and maybe taking a few hours just looking at vistas, secret locations,etc. When I watched the recorded Twitch session I got the feeling that it will take me a few hundred hours if not thousands just looking at those vistas. Only other games that make me feel that way are the games from Bethesda and I never finish the main and most guild quests since I spend most of the hours (thousands) just exploring and getting lost in the game world.

Maybe some more behind the scenes of a a day in a life of a game designer. Maybe have each member of the Runic team have a moment and maybe show some of the stuff they have been working on. I have not seen the first one on sound yet. Will be looking at it when I get the chance but I do have to go now.
    "Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
  • DarkTails wrote:

-I'd like to see more concept art.

There are a couple newer concepts that have been added since PAX Prime 2016 at http://runicgames.com/hob/gallery/ if you scroll to the bottom under Concepts. Check out a few more "cuddly" creatures! :D
  • soulcyclesoulcycle Posts: 15
    Amazing concept art. I like binding nature and mechanics idea.
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see the level designers at work or discuss their process.
  • PatrickBPatrickB Posts: 894 ✭✭
    Omnifas wrote:
    I'd like to see the level designers at work or discuss their process.

Level Designers at work.

giphy-downsized-large.gif
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    ...and discussing their process?
    MoeWhacker.gif
    lol
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,310 admin
    Phanjam wrote:
    MoeWhacker.gif
    lol

Yeah, this is probably more accurate. :lol:
    BrianW

• ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    Phanjam wrote:
    MoeWhacker.gif
    lol
    Nice to see Max still stops by now and then to help keep them in line.
    ItfooQF.png
    WIll Hob explore the center of this world/planet story goes on ?
  • BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,310 admin
    soulcycle wrote:
    Amazing concept art. I like binding nature and mechanics idea.

Concept art! :P https://twitter.com/RunicGames/status/8 ... 9138810881

I'm starting to post things over to here as well.
    BrianW

• D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭
    Some nice looking concept art.
    "Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
    BrianW wrote:

Concept art! :P

I'm starting to post things over to here as well.

What is the name of the mech in upper right?
    http://i.imgur.com/SxroZKK.png