It's a shame shooty outlander never got a buff

Hal9000xHal9000x Posts: 47
edited January 16 in Outlander Discussions
Too bad this game died before non-Glaive Outlanders got a buff. Just stupidly hard. You have to min max to the extreme to be viable in the slightest unless you play on Normal. It's a shame since I love the style, but it's so underpowered that it just isn't fun.

Comments

• DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I recently started a Veteran Outlander, loosely assigning stats and skills, and I've been using a shotgun or bow as the main weapon. I've Rapid Fire machine-gunned my way to Act 2 already, only died once because I got trapped in a corner.

Show us a video of how you're playing, it helps so we can give player-specific pointers instead of general tips.
  • DarkTails wrote:
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I recently started a Veteran Outlander, loosely assigning stats and skills, and I've been using a shotgun or bow as the main weapon. I've Rapid Fire machine-gunned my way to Act 2 already, only died once because I got trapped in a corner.

Show us a video of how you're playing, it helps so we can give player-specific pointers instead of general tips.

Yeah I'm getting the idea that maybe I just ****. It's weird, I don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong...I have lots of experience with this type of game. Although, it was and is common knowledge that anything besides Glaive build is gimp..still, I believe you when you say it's not too taxing for you. Now that I've switched to a Mad Genius build it's a bit better, but really only because I can wield a wand with very high DPS. The crappy thing about it is I have no charge builder besides autoattack, since I don't use a Glaive.

As for what goes wrong, I'm getting creamed by groups. If my positioning isn't perfect, I get slowed, or walk into a room full of mobs, I am dead almost instantly. I have pumped my armor as best as possible with (now) a focus build, but still not good enough.
  • DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
    Yeah, mobs are a problem for me too, that's why i'm using the shotgun because it hits the whole crowd and it has knockback.

Quick tip, you can shoot at enemies from above or below them, try to find an area monsters can't easily reach you rain down fire on them. Also, if you can increase your shooting range, it's possible to shoot enemies without them reacting to you. Blade Pact works great at slowing enemies so you can fire off more shots before needing to evade.

I ultimately change my Outlanders into Clawlanders, so different builds are definitely possible. (You can see what that's like through the link in my signature)
  • DarkTails wrote:
    Yeah, mobs are a problem for me too, that's why i'm using the shotgun because it hits the whole crowd and it has knockback.

Quick tip, you can shoot at enemies from above or below them, try to find an area monsters can't easily reach you rain down fire on them. Also, if you can increase your shooting range, it's possible to shoot enemies without them reacting to you. Blade Pact works great at slowing enemies so you can fire off more shots before needing to evade.

I ultimately change my Outlanders into Clawlanders, so different builds are definitely possible. (You can see what that's like through the link in my signature)

I would love to use a gun, but my DPS just wasn't sufficient to survive using one. That infamous Str/Dex split of the shooty Outlander, combined with my lack of skill (apparently), meant that it would take me minutes to kill a boss, and get swarmed by packs that I just couldn't kill fast enough, even using Vault, running, pumping Dodge, getting the best armor I could etc.

I played an Engineer on Normal and loved it, but once I finished NG+ it just go too easy to be fun. So I figured I'd step up to Veteran. HUGE jump in difficulty for me. Could be the fact that Outlanders are a harder class to play on top of the increased difficulty, I dunno. I suppose I could roll another Engineer to test my theory, but I'm bored of that class for now. It got so I would just Force Field, walk into a pack, Dynamo until full charge bar, Force Field again, kill everything with a hit or two of my 2H. Often everything would die just from the Dynamo, and I'd only have to Flame Hammer a champ or boss. Even with the higher difficulty level, I suspect that Outlander is wildly gimp compared to a standard Engineer.
  • I installed a camera mod for this ranged character...zoomy I believe. In spite of the fact that it increases monster aggro to match, I would qualify this as a cheat. It really makes ranged characters much easier. Unfortunately it also takes a lot away from the graphical enjoyment of this game. That's always the problem with 3D hack n slashers: sure, you can zoom in to see all the work the artists did, but nobody ever does because that makes it so tough to play. Grim Dawn really suffers from this. It's beautiful, but I rarely zoom in or I'm dead.
  • D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭
    I use a howitzer on my Outlanders. They have the motto go big or stay home. Besides nothing says badass like carrying around a howitzer and saying say hello to my little friend.

How is your pet specced out. Falcor needs to be looked after in the spells department. I usually give pets spells before I take them since I find them more useful on him. Like giving them the Frost spell since it slows, it does some damage, and most of all it has a nice AOE so it can hit multiple targets. The cooldown is not that bad. Also summons can be useful but they usually are limited on Falcor but still having one minion to help cause a distraction is good in my books.

I have not played an Outlander for sometime since I usually wind up playing as an Engineer or Embermage. Since I do now have a new vid card maybe I should try a new Outlander and play one that uses the shooting spells but I usually just wind up using the normal attack. Maybe I will go with a dual wielding one.
    "Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
  • Hello.

You can download the "Outlander Rebalanced" Mod to help with survivability and general utility.
    '

For example, it replaces the Stone Pact tier bonuses with 5%, 10%, and 15% Damage reduction. It also adds a shield that is of similiar value of an uncharged Forcefield.

Blade Pact debuff lasts for 9 seconds rather than 3, and it affects ALL armor.

There are other changes but a simpe google search will provide you with the info.

If you want even more out of the Outlander, you can download the "Tiered Passives". It adds Tiers to all 4 class passives, for example Long Range Mastery Tier 1 gives you 3% more critical damage. Akimbo reduces Fumble chance and penalty, Poison Burst leaves a cloud of poison, applying a DoT to enemies inside (it stacks!).

Those two mods combined make the Outlander great again. Heh. At least for non-glaive builds.