How to change the scale of a weapon when held?

DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
edited April 5 in General Modding
I need to shrink the size of a custom weapon. (thanks to Anarch for getting some in the game for me)

I looked up what the line for modifying scale is and I believe it's:

<FLOAT>SCALE: ****


First I tried adding this line to the weapon's DAT file:

<FLOAT>SCALE: 0.9

What this did is modify the size of the weapon when it's on the floor, but not when it's in the character's hands.


Then I tried this line:

<FLOAT>WEAPON_SCALE: 0.9

It didn't do anything.


Then I tried changing the scale by creating an Effect for the weapon that makes it smaller. Supposedly it works for Player Character Models, so was hoping it would work for Weapons. It didn't do anything.

Making an Affix to scale doesn't do anything.

Is there any way to resize the weapons?

Comments

  • gytfunkegytfunke Posts: 571
    I know that there's a property on unit (npc) files that will scale ANY weapon held. You might try to extrapolate that to the weapon you want to scale, maybe a little copy/paste action between .dat files.
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    DarkTails wrote:
    Is there any way to resize the weapons?

    Hi DT and sorry I gave u the wrong info (tried it myself and <FLOAT>SCALE: does NOT affect held weapon size.

    Failing a solution via the .DAT files, you could re-scale them inside a 3D modeling program... :shock:
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
    gytfunke wrote:
    I know that there's a property on unit (npc) files that will scale ANY weapon held. You might try to extrapolate that to the weapon you want to scale, maybe a little copy/paste action between .dat files.

    I think that's the <FLOAT>WEAPON_SCALE line, but I'll keep looking.
    Phanjam wrote:
    Hi DT and sorry I gave u the wrong info (tried it myself and <FLOAT>SCALE: does NOT affect held weapon size.)

    Failing a solution via the .DAT files, you could re-scale them inside a 3D modeling program... :shock:

    Yeah, I don't want to go through that though, I'd have to download bootleg 3DS max again, install all the required plug-ins, re-learn how to do everything, pray the files decide to play nice, etc. :cry:
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    I know Sketchup has OGRE .MESH i/o scripts (i actually made a few weapons in Sketchup that I was able to export to .MESH - ugly as sin, but they worked :P ), and Sketchup is free...
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • Kva3imodaKva3imoda Posts: 983 ✭✭
    DarkTails wrote:
    :cry:
    How many weapons do you have? I think it can be done in 10-30 minutes. Send me files in PM, I can do it.
    4ByzPdz.png 88pn2UZ.pngtrCrfep.png
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Hooray for Kva!
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
    Phanjam wrote:
    I know Sketchup has OGRE .MESH i/o scripts (i actually made a few weapons in Sketchup that I was able to export to .MESH - ugly as sin, but they worked :P ), and Sketchup is free...

    I was thinking, since we're just dealing numbers, would it be possible to simply edit the "scale numbers" in the model's files?
    Kva3imoda wrote:
    How many weapons do you have? I think it can be done in 10-30 minutes. Send me files in PM, I can do it.

    Thanks, it's just one model that needs resizing :)
  • RnFRnF Posts: 1,000
    edited April 6
    DarkTails wrote:
    I need to shrink the size of a custom weapon. (thanks to Anarch for getting some in the game for me)

    I looked up what the line for modifying scale is and I believe it's:

    <FLOAT>SCALE: ****


    First I tried adding this line to the weapon's DAT file:

    <FLOAT>SCALE: 0.9

    What this did is modify the size of the weapon when it's on the floor, but not when it's in the character's hands.


    Then I tried this line:

    <FLOAT>WEAPON_SCALE: 0.9

    It didn't do anything.


    Then I tried changing the scale by creating an Effect for the weapon that makes it smaller. Supposedly it works for Player Character Models, so was hoping it would work for Weapons. It didn't do anything.

    Making an Affix to scale doesn't do anything.

    Is there any way to resize the weapons?

    EDIT: This appears to only work on scaling the weapon LARGER, not smaller. Making them smaller requires a bit different process.

    A little late to the game on this, but others may find this useful as well.

    I found a way to change the scale for specific items inside GUTS.

    1. Open Item Editor within GUTS - Find the item/weapon you want to scale

    2. At the top left of the item editor, Click on the Magnifying Glass (Mesh Viewer)

    3. Under the Properties area (right hand side) find the "Mutators" Options and change Scale X, Scale Y and Scale Z to what you want to resize

    4. Save the file to your mod folder. This will create a .layout file that can be attached to the weapon that will replace the mesh file with the resized version.

    5. Attach the new .layout file to the item in the Item Editor under the "Attached Layout" area with the media file path... ie MEDIA/MODELS/WEAPONS/AXES/AXE02.LAYOUT

    6. Save the weapon. And you are done!

    Screen shot of re-sized weapon done in this manner
    https://www.screencast.com/t/RReSncqoYleJ
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    RnF wrote:
    A little late to the game on this, but others may find this useful as well.

    I found a way to change the scale of items inside GUTS.

    1. Open Item Editor within GUTS - Find the item/weapon you want to scale

    2. At the top left of the item editor, Click on the Magnifying Glass (Mesh Viewer)

    3. Under the Properties area (right hand side) find the "Mutators" Options and change Scale X, Scale Y and Scale Z to what you want to resize

    4. Save the file to your mod folder. This will create a .layout file that can be attached to the weapon that will replace the mesh file with the resized version.

    5. Attach the new .layout file to the item in the Item Editor under the "Attached Layout" area with the media file path... ie MEDIA/MODELS/WEAPONS/AXES/AXE02.LAYOUT

    6. Save the weapon. And you are done!

    Screen shot of re-sized weapon done in this manner
    https://www.screencast.com/t/RReSncqoYleJ

    ****. This is so cool! I learned something new :? thanks mucho RnF!
    If ok with you, I'd like to put this on the torchmodders wiki...
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • RnFRnF Posts: 1,000
    Phanjam wrote:
    RnF wrote:
    A little late to the game on this, but others may find this useful as well.

    I found a way to change the scale of items inside GUTS.

    1. Open Item Editor within GUTS - Find the item/weapon you want to scale

    2. At the top left of the item editor, Click on the Magnifying Glass (Mesh Viewer)

    3. Under the Properties area (right hand side) find the "Mutators" Options and change Scale X, Scale Y and Scale Z to what you want to resize

    4. Save the file to your mod folder. This will create a .layout file that can be attached to the weapon that will replace the mesh file with the resized version.

    5. Attach the new .layout file to the item in the Item Editor under the "Attached Layout" area with the media file path... ie MEDIA/MODELS/WEAPONS/AXES/AXE02.LAYOUT

    6. Save the weapon. And you are done!

    Screen shot of re-sized weapon done in this manner
    https://www.screencast.com/t/RReSncqoYleJ

    ****. This is so cool! I learned something new :? thanks mucho RnF!
    If ok with you, I'd like to put this on the torchmodders wiki...

    Yup go ahead. I may need to do more research though,because apparently this only works when scaling the weapon larger. When I try to scale it smaller, it won't go any smaller than the original mesh file. I can only get this to work when scaling it larger. Figured out how to make it scale smaller, I will elaborate tomorrow when I have more time.
Sign In or Register to comment.