Magic Find/Gold Find Questions

kiezorkiezor Posts: 4
edited February 19 in TL2 General Discussions
Apologies if this is a redundant thread, but I really have not found the answer to my questions.

I'm currently farming the Netherlord for Kelton's Rocks. As I understand, these are important for getting a high magic-find percentage. However, I cannot get a single one to drop after 30+ runs. Kelton's is a level 50 item; I'm farming with a level 56 berserker. NG0.

1. Does magic find affect drop rates on Kelton's, skulls, eyes?

2. As I understand it, map/dungeon level affects which items drop, not character level. For example, a level 50 item will not drop in a level 40 area. Is this correct?

From what I have gleaned from reading these forums, there are three ways to improve gear: locating better gear, socketables, and enchants. For enchants, you simply need to find the correct enchanter with a metric ton of gold. Socketables are farmed from blue chests and bosses of the appropriate level. Better gear comes from three places: transmutation, gambling, loot drops w/ magic find. Please tell me if I'm incorrect in any of this.

So here is the conundrum I'm in: All of this requires two things: gold find items and magic find items. Enchanting and gambling requires millions upon millions of gold, which can only be reasonable gathered with gold find items. Better loot drops requires magic find items. However, I cant really find either in significant amounts. I cant get much above 30% MF and 50% GF. So I'm in a place where i need gold find items which require magic find items which themselves require magic find items. It feels like a loop that I cant break into. Does anyone else feel this way?

I figured farming the Netherlord on NG0 for Kelton's was the best place to start since (from what I've read) he has about a 10% chance to drop them, but after 30+ runs with about 15 Netherlord Eyes and no Kelton's I quit in frustration.

Can anyone offer some advice? Am I going about this the wrong way? Is my understanding incorrect? How can I get better loot drops and more gold if I cant get the items that enable such?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!

Comments

• ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭
    kiezor wrote:

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

As far as advice there's a great thread on Reddit that might be helpful to you. https://www.reddit.com/r/Torchlight/com ... _is_ideal/

Personally I think when it comes to items talking to Boris is the way to go. That guy has lots of nice stuff. That and farming tarroch's tomb.
    ItfooQF.png
  • kiezorkiezor Posts: 4
    Thank you for your response. I went to tarroch's but found level 100+ enemies there. Guess I just got to level up.
  • kiezorkiezor Posts: 4
    I've got another question:

Does player level affect item drop rates? I've hit level 61 on my berserker farming the Netherlord for kelton's. I've killed him about 25 times with ~60% magic find but cannot get a kelton's to drop. Am I too leveled for this item?
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭
    kiezor wrote:
    I've got another question:

Does player level affect item drop rates? I've hit level 61 on my berserker farming the Netherlord for kelton's. I've killed him about 25 times with ~60% magic find but cannot get a kelton's to drop. Am I too leveled for this item?
    No but magic find influences the item drop. The treasure hunter spell will also boost that. A higher magic find will spawn more uniques. Difficulty levels affect monster health and damage. Item drops are not affected, except that gold drops are greater in Casual and diminished in Elite. NG+ does affect it in that the higher + level you go the more chances you'll have of finding usable loot.

(http://steamcommunity.com/app/200710/di ... 924619303/)
    ItfooQF.png