Creating a rebalance mod, need info...

GordyneGordyne Posts: 38
edited February 14 in General Modding
I'm trying to create a mod to improve the overall balance of TL2 on ELITE difficulty. It would help a lot if i could get some opinions from more
experienced players that have played many builds/classes since I didn't get very far on ELITE NG+

The Vision of this MOD:

Rebalance the game with ELITE, NG+ and maybe NG++ in mind(more than that and you're just asking for OHKO) to increase build diversity
while keeping the game hard but reducing difficulty "spikes" as much as possible. Nerfing and buffing is a must, even if it's impossible to have
perfectly balanced builds/skills, the gap between weak and strong can be a bit shorter, so small buffs to "weak" and small nerfs to "strong"
may be the better option.

Primary Goals:

1- Reduce reliance on things like % dodge/block/reflect AND % All DMG Reduced stacking;
2- Rebalance stats (specially Vit) to achieve the above goal;
3- Make 2h/1h+Shield/Dual-Wield equally powerful/viable.

Secondary Goals:
1- Increase viability of skills by buffing UP ones;
2- Nerf OP skills a bit(balance is balance);
3- Same for items in general;
4- Increase viability for more crazy builds("Oulander/Embermage melee, Crossbow Engineer etc.").

What has been done so far:

- Reduced Block Chance gained from ViT by a LOT (max 30% at 500 Vit)
- Doubled Life and Armour bonus gained from Vit
- Reduced Dodge Chance gained from Dex by 10%.
- Monster Damage, Armor and Life Reduced by a SMALL amount on ELITE
- Small Increase in Base Damage for Bows and all 2H Melee Weapons(except Staves)
- Eye of Grell now grants 5% Physical Dmg Reduction instead of 3% All Dmg Reduction
- Common Elemental Gems from Speck to Giant now have "4% reduced (element) damage taken"
- Skull of Limoany now grants 3% All Dmg Reduction

This will probably break things, but I think it's a good starting point.

Comments

• WingedCatWingedCat Posts: 20
    I have played a lot of Embermage and Outlander on Elite ****.
    Frostwave, Venomous Hail and Prismatic Bolt overshadow most other skills.
    The Bramble Wall should have higher cooldown or it can be abused with spell triggering.
    The Outlanders shadowlings never worked for me, in my opinion they should be buffed somehow.
    Maybe also make the bots from the Engineer targetable because the Engineer can just build bulk and let his untargetable minions heal him and deal damage.
    It seems just to convenient and unfair towards other minions.
  • GordyneGordyne Posts: 38
    WingedCat wrote:
    I have played a lot of Embermage and Outlander on Elite ****.
    Frostwave, Venomous Hail and Prismatic Bolt overshadow most other skills.
    The Bramble Wall should have higher cooldown or it can be abused with spell triggering.
    The Outlanders shadowlings never worked for me, in my opinion they should be buffed somehow.
    Maybe also make the bots from the Engineer targetable because the Engineer can just build bulk and let his untargetable minions heal him and deal damage.
    It seems just to convenient and unfair towards other minions.

I'm trying to balance stats and global OP things like % all Dmg reduced first, however I will put these things on my "to do" list...

I barely played as embermage, how would you balance those 2 skills?
    From what I see, Frostwave freezes for too long(7 seconds), either reduce chance to freeze or time frozen.
    Prismatic bolts could lose it's Poison Dmg and would only inflict shock status.
    I also hear OP things about Frost Phase and Glaive Throw.

Shadowlings require too much investment in Death Ritual too, that's the problem.
    Idea: Turn Death Ritual into it's own passive so that Shadowling Ammo can stand on it's own :)
  • WingedCatWingedCat Posts: 20
    Gordyne wrote:
    I barely played as embermage, how would you balance those 2 skills?
    From what I see, Frostwave freezes for too long(7 seconds), either reduce chance to freeze or time frozen.
    Prismatic bolts could lose it's Poison Dmg and would only inflict shock status.
    I also hear OP things about Frost Phase and Glaive Throw.

Shadowlings require too much investment in Death Ritual too, that's the problem.
    Idea: Turn Death Ritual into it's own passive so that Shadowling Ammo can stand on it's own :)

The Prismatic Bolt changes sound good.

The problem with Frost Wave is it's insane range and high damage at tier 2 and 3, maybe the waves shouldn't ricochet from terrain or change the tier upgrades to 2 and 3 waves.
    Oh and you basically always have full charge when spamming this. So better disable Charge gain from this spell as well.

Yeah Frost Phase is mandatory for any embermage build which I think no skill should be.
    You put in a single point and you get a cheap warp skill that lets you skip through any map.
    Definitely needs a longer cooldown so you can't spam it but rather keep it for escaping a dangerous situation.

I would also increase the cooldwon on Ice Prison and remove the electric damage bonus on Hailstorm.
    Ice Prison should be a utility skill in my opinion to get enemies off your back for a while. It should not be usable as a damaging skill by shattering it on your own.
    I never understood why Hailstorm would buff electrid damage in the first place. This way it matches the fire based counterpart Firestorm better.

Glaive Throw really is nice to cripple enemies fom afar and dealing damage at the same time. Maybe just remove either the speed debuff, the interrupt chance or the ability to build charge.
  • GordyneGordyne Posts: 38
    Or maybe keep most of FW power but give it a cooldown and increase mana cost a bit.

It's fun to have really powerful skills, the problem comes when you are able to spam them over and over and over :|

Venomous Hail seems to be spammable too AND it shatters shields at max level, maybe the shatter shield bonus could go to a more underused skill?
    Chaos Burst or Shadow Shot could have a chance to break shields :)