VHHC ironman game

NickenNicken Posts: 14
edited September 2012 in TL Hardcore Mode
are you guys nuts? very hard and **** xS and on top of that no pet or vendors, stash or anything x/ isnt it a bit too much!!?
Rince.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
In my world anime and rpg walk hand in hand!

Comments

• jackxjackx Posts: 139
    Try it - it's a refreshing change, and perfect for what I want from my games these days: Short burts of high-intensity gaming, without all the added drama and wasted time you'd have if you tried to get there through competitive online games.

As for my mental health... I have great composure and self-discipline, though apparently, sometimes I do convey the impression that I want to rip people apart or make little babies cry... :twisted:
    axtbenutzer.jpg
    no truth - no justice
    all false belief
    blinded by morality
    there shall be... no peace
    no peace!
  • Nicken wrote:
    are you guys nuts? very hard and **** xS and on top of that no pet or vendors, stash or anything x/ isnt it a bit too much!!?
    I just started 2 days ago so it's too early for me to consider Ironman. I am playing vhhc tho, never touched sc nor easier difficulties (nor will i ever).
    EHC: Zoolander I/II/III/IV - clvl:9/13/23/18 - Outlander (summoner)
  • When you play an Ironman challenge it resembles closely to what these games (aRPGs) were inspired by, the ASCII game Rogue. You only had one life as your saved game was deleted (unless you backed it up by saving manually).

And since the point of the game was to reach the bottom with the most points, its easy to replicate in this game since its one (two if you beat the game) dungeon that has an end point.
    (btw I'm kind of surprised the infinite dungeon doesn't scale with your level..)

Who remembers what this is =D

################
    #<@. . . . . . .D/.#
    ################
  • VenomVenom Posts: 52
    I'm playing a Vanquisher on Hard through the main story, I'm down in the black towers or whatever, close to Ordrak I believe. But, it's just so mind-numbing. All I have to do is hit explosive shot over and over and over and watch out for chargers. It gets dull - REAL fast. Playing the Ironman **** is actually very exhilarating and totally changes the way you play.

First, you start to appreciate the trash items that drop because a) they have no value to you unless you can equip them since you can't sell them. And b) When you DO find an item that helps - it helps immensely. Something as simple as a shield can make or break the experience. Get a few extra healing pots? The odds are starting to stack in your favor...get a Heal Self or Heal All spell?

Second, you really change your tactics. This is about outlasting and taking as little damage as possible. You very quickly learn to time your attacks to get in, smack the mob, and get out - in hopes of avoiding damage. Sometimes it's not possible, but you can most definitely get in and get out unscathed if you are quick. This is something that never comes in to play in the normal game because you can in most cases ignore the incoming damage and just heal through it. If you run out of pots, you run back for more.

It's really great fun, but it does change how you play the game. I can barely bring myself to play with my Vanquisher, it's just so boring. I have maybe one or two dungeon levels to go to the end, but it's just...so...dull...
    Cautious - 1 Destroyer VH HC Ironman
    RIP VH HC Ironmen:
    Alchemist: 0
    Destroyer: 1, 5, 6, 9, 9, 13
    Vanquisher: 0

• Venom wrote:
    *stuff*
    That pretty neatly sums up my feelings, too (though I don't play a Vanquisher). Ironman is a beast unto itself, and if you get a taste for it the "real" game becomes a bit drab by comparison. I'm currently trying to build my VHHC Alchemist up, but I keep rolling Ironman versions and playing those instead. Still haven't made it past the first jungle level on an Ironman game, but I get closer all the time.
    Venom wrote:
    ...get a Heal Self or Heal All spell?
    Personally, I'm praying for an Identify spell on one of my games. I'm usually good on pots after the first level or so, but those unidentified items start building up. You just know they're going to be that amazing item that's going to save your bacon against the Overseer, but there's nothing you can do to ID them... (Then, when you finally get an ID scroll, they turn out to be a Stale Beer Hat of Mana +3 or some garbage, and you die a little bit inside.)

===

@Nicken: The goal in Ironman isn't to win; you know you're not going to win. It's to see how far you can push it before you die. Give it a shot once; you might hate it, but you could end up loving it as much as we do.
  • GPGGPG Posts: 3
    Nico255 wrote:
    Who remembers what this is =D

################
    #<@. . . . . . .D/.#
    ################

In Moria, this is you, facing an ancient dragon. Luckily, you have a way out. I didn't play Rogue though, but I think Moria is pretty similar. Angband is the first game I remember with an 'ironman'-flag for your character.
  • locklerelocklere Posts: 255
    (Then, when you finally get an ID scroll, they turn out to be a Stale Beer Hat of Mana +3 or some garbage, and you die a little bit inside.)

I lol'd IRL
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
  • jackxjackx Posts: 139
    With regard to ID: Don't ID greens unless you've got tons of ID scrolls. Even then, I'd only do it if I know it to be a superior class of item where even if the enchant ****, the base stats will be much better than your current gear.

As for Pygmy casters - wait until they cast, dodge that, then launch a hit and run. Easiest way not to get hit, and you'll avoid their (quite powerful) melee attack, too.

Might do another Ironman soon, if I do, I'll post progress updates again.
    axtbenutzer.jpg
    no truth - no justice
    all false belief
    blinded by morality
    there shall be... no peace
    no peace!
  • jackx wrote:
    With regard to ID: Don't ID greens unless you've got tons of ID scrolls. Even then, I'd only do it if I know it to be a superior class of item where even if the enchant ****, the base stats will be much better than your current gear.

Yeah, that's pretty much been my rule. I only ID for slots that need an improvement or don't have anything at all. I've stopped IDing jewelry, too, 'cause that stuff always ****. It still seems that I get my default two ID scrolls then spend the rest of the dungeon picking up Ironman toilet paper (Town Portal Scrolls) and the remnants of the mobs' mana potion kegger.
  • DuendeDuende Posts: 35
    Actually I've been only playing Ironman lately. Regular VHHC seems rather easy lately: I plowed thru Ordrak with a 1h/shield SE Destroyer that was originally intended to be ironman. Mostly because the vendor sells great stuff early-midgame.

Right now tho I don't get why the no-summon rule. I thought the point was to be self-sufficient, and if the game decides to drop you a bone, why not use it? I think I'm gonna try a run with summons to see if it makes it way easier.
  • I'm relatively new to this game (about one week). imho the first game that really deserves to be mentioned in a sentence together with diablo. I'm coming from D2, played that pretty (too?) long.
    Always SC, just lately thinking about switching to HC. But I played that game already too much, it bores me somehow.
    So here Torchlight comes in, I'm playing VHHC now (unfortunately I have way too little time to play -_- I still have my first HC char on ~clv15) and it is such great fun, it's just incredible how much fun this monotone monster hick-hack can be even for some kind of veteran.
    I really think an Ironman challenge is the next step. I'm looking forward to it, but first I gotta get warm with HC itself ;)
    all generalisations are false.
  • Sc0peSc0pe Posts: 47
    Nicken wrote:

AFAIK, they do use the regular pet and even using the found fishes is allowed (theres only 2 areas to find these).

Here are the rules for the current (most popular Ironman contest):

PROHIBITED
    -Traveling to town
    -Using any vendors, including dungeon ones
    -Fishing
    -Backtracking to previous levels
    -Summon spells
    -Ranged weapons
    -Mods which benefit your character (skins are OK, but items, maps, etc. are not)
    -Heirloom items
    -Exploits (trapping Brink, fighting through gaps, and so forth)

REQUIRED
    -Enter every phase portal
    -Fight every monster you see, including bosses: if you see it, either it dies or you do
    -Hit every plunger, check every chest, etc. (excluding TNT barrels)
    -When you first start in town, you have 100g, which you should use to buy 3x Health Potion

ALLOWED
    -Clearing levels before proceeding (this was added to address two problems: (1) excessive reliance on luck, and (2) over time, a decreasing gap between player and monster level)
  • Sc0pe wrote:
    PROHIBITED
    -Exploits (trapping Brink...
    Having realized I could beat him every single time I fought him without using a potion (on an Alchemist), I trap Brink every single time I fight him. When the only difference between outcomes is a five minute fight versus an hour and a half one, I don't give a **** if I'm "cheating". He's seriously the worst thing in the game (at least through the Sunken Ruins) for an Ironman Alchemist. Not because he's a challenge, mind you, but because he's so ****ing tedious.
  • benqthenabenqthena Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    Do you think the name Ironman Triathlon should be changed so that it refers to both genders? At a party this weekend, I overheard a girl talking about how the name Ironman should be changed so that it includes both genders and not just males. I have my opinion, but what's yours?
    Do you think the name Ironman Triathlon should be changed so that it refers to both genders? At a party this weekend, I overheard a girl talking about how the name Ironman should be changed so that it includes both genders and not just males. I have my opinion, but what's yours?

Why is this here? Take it to some sports forum, please.

dreamrider
  • Hey guys, just picked up Torchlight after a long time off. Decided to give this a try. Amazingly enough on floor one got a Heal All spell! Currently on floor 5 and pushing forward. Can't wait for Torchlight II!
  • has anyone beaten the game already in vhhc ironman?