source material/inspiration from Snowblind influence TL2?

sacrophytesacrophyte Posts: 14
edited May 6 in Off-Topic Discussions
Good day,

As I played Torchlight 2 a while ago, some of the music and sound effects from Torchlight II Act II reminded me of some of the music from Snowblind's Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath. And then I noticed other places where some of the soundscapes seemed really familiar.

Just curious, is/was anyone on the Runic team from Snowblind? Some kind of relationship there?

PS - you guys did an amazing job with Torchlight II. I understand you feel "burnt out" about the Diablo-esque work. Torchlight II is far superior to Diablo II, and in my opinion, pleasantly close to Diablo III. I am very much looking forward to Hob.

Comments

• ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    Some of the people who founded Runic developed Diablo and DIablo II. Specifically Matt & Erich Schaefer as well as Peter Hu and Matt Uelmen. They were instrumental in the creation of those games and in founding the arpg genre during their time at Blizzard North. Thus it's more accurate to say that Snowblind built their games upon the foundation that Blizzard North laid.
    ItfooQF.png
  • sacrophytesacrophyte Posts: 14
    Zidders, I kinda of learned about the Diablo connection - but some of the music is clearly the same; I am tempted to play through the games and find exactly where that occurs.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    sacrophyte wrote:
    Zidders, I kinda of learned about the Diablo connection - but some of the music is clearly the same; I am tempted to play through the games and find exactly where that occurs.
    Jeremy Soule and Matt Uelmen share a similar interest in classical music. What you're hearing are a lot of those influences coming through. They both use a number of classical music motifs in their scores. You'll hear a lot of the same kinds of classical music styling in games like Everquest, World of Warcraft and even in Bethesda's Fallout series.
    ItfooQF.png