[Cosmetic] Tigerfish Mod v3 - Roaring Tigers

AverageOddityAverageOddity Posts: 16
edited January 2010 in Mod Showcase
Couple of days ago I downloaded the tiger skin by AttackGorilla, and I decided to remove the tufts of hair on the tip of his ears (that's the tiger's ears, not AttackGorilla's). Well, that was the plan... Somehow I ended up making a new skin from scratch, and I figured I might as well share it with you. I added fishes that let you transform your pet in game, and here is the result.

tigerfishmodv3.png

With this mod you get four new skins, which are supposed to resemble actual tiger stripe pattern. Fishes needed for the transformation can be bought at the general store in Torchlight. You can also occasionally get them through fishing, but they are pretty rare.

The mod should work fine with other mods that expand the content of the general store (like excellent Transmogrification mod by Vagrant).

I decided to make the skins in higher resolution (512x512 instead of 256x256), bacause tigers are pretty big, and the textures need to cover larger area.

The tigers can run a little faster and have slightly more HP than regular cats. I didn't change armor or damage values, but just for fun I tweaked the resistances a bit, so that:
- Bengal Tiger has 30% higher Poison Resistance, but 10% lower Electricity, Fire and Ice Resistances.
- Black Tiger has 30% higher Electricity Resistance, but 10% lower Fire, Ice and Poison Resistances.
- White Tiger has 30% higher Fire Resistance, but 10% lower Electricity, Ice and Poison Resistances.
- Arctic Tiger has 30% higher Ice Resistance, but 10% lower Electricity, Fire and Poison Resistances.

I also gave them the Goblinhound dash ability, the idea came from Phosphene's dash skill mod.

And this is how they look in game (actually I introduced a few small tweaks after making this picture, but it’s very, very close):

tigersv01.png

INSTALLATION:
1. Download the mod from the Runic Games Fansite, or use this link to get it from MediaFire.
2. Delete previous version of the mod.
3. Decompress the zip file to %AppData%\runic games\torchlight\mods
4. Before you start the game clear your mod cache. Here are the instructions on how to do this manually, or you can just run "clearmodcache.bat" that comes with the mod.
5. Run the game and enjoy!

UPDATES:
v2. The update is here thanks to psybreeze. Second version of the mod gives our tigers new realistic sounds. It should work fine with other sound modifications, because it uses custom sound data file instead of MONSTERS.dat.
v3. Small compatibility fix, so now it works like it's supposed to alongside the Transmogrification mod.

Comments

• TomaLexiTomaLexi Posts: 303
    :-O Woah. Good work.
    Looking for mods? Complete mod-list: http://sites.google.com/site/ultimatemodlistwiki/
  • Downloaded and installed.

Great Job :D
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭
    Awesome mod!!!!!!!!
    ItfooQF.png
  • TenTen Posts: 395
    these look amazing, good job.
    ___ten2.png___
  • Pretty awesome. good job. :D
    Can you upload it to a mirror site? The Fansite always give me corrupt Zip files I can not open...
  • Thanks for your appreciation guys. AttackGorilla, I uploaded the file to MediaFire, I hope it will do the trick ;)
  • Awesome. Now just ask psybreeze if you can use his sound files, so we can have even AWESOMER tiger pet!
  • I already gave permission to use the sounds.

He replied:
    Thanks! I'll implement it as soon as I'll have some spare time on my hands.

So, keep an eye on the thread. Implementing the sounds shouldn't take more than a few minutes, so let's hope the mod will update in a few days! *hopes*
  • Cool, I'll PM him right away, just to refresh the subject :)
  • No need for that, let the master do his work ;)
  • Sorry guys, I really didn't have much time since yesterday. You know, family, work and all that jazz. Plus I wanted to figure out how to add the sounds without messing with the MONSTERS.dat (for compatibility with other mods). Turns out it's very easy, but had to do some testing. So, without further ado and with huge thanks to psybreeze I give you Tigerfish Mod v2 - Roaring Tiger Pets.
  • I like the new name. :P I see you tweaked the volumes, and rarity. I will update my version too! Also, is it ok, if I send the new sound configuration to AttackGorilla?
  • psybreeze wrote:
    Is it ok, if I send the new sound configuration to AttackGorilla?

Sure, you can use it freely.
  • VagrantVagrant Posts: 409
    Nicely done, and this works perfectly alongside the Transmogrification Potions too.

( Edited )

In fact, and I feel this is taking a lot of gall just to ask, but ... might I have permission to use the White Tiger skin in my mod? I've been trying to make such a skin for my mod for a while, but I've had no success. I've been keeping the Transmogrification Potions mod to real animals, and that's one I've wanted. I was even tempted to poke AttackGorilla about it... but since there's one here... <.<;;

I figured I'd ask, anyway!
    I'm many things: a transhumanist, an imagineer, a werewolf fan, and an amateur hypnotist even. But perhaps the most important to keep in mind is that I'm an old-master at tongue-firmly-placed-in-cheek.
  • Vagrant wrote:
    In fact, and I feel this is taking a lot of gall just to ask, but ... might I have permission to use the White Tiger skin in my mod? I've been trying to make such a skin for my mod for a while, but I've had no success. I've been keeping the Transmogrification Potions mod to real animals, and that's one I've wanted. I was even tempted to poke AttackGorilla about it... but since there's one here... <.<;;

I figured I'd ask, anyway!

Of course you can use it. It's totally free :)
  • AvenueAvenue Posts: 160
    This is very well done. Congratulations.
  • Hey, I was just thinking... Vagrant re-colored one of your textures to include in his mod, but it seems to cause a bug for some users... I like his snowy-white green-eyed version as much as I like your creamy-white orange-eyed version. I'd like to able to choose between the two whenever the mood strikes me ;)

Maybe you could see what's wrong with his texture, and maybe help to work out these compatibility issues. Pretty please :mrgreen:
  • His texture is fine, but there is a problem with filenames, so the two mods aren't compatible right now. I'm sure we will work it out, but please be patient.
  • Updated to v3: compatibility problem with Transmogrification mod sorted out, I renamed my white tiger texture, so now both mods refer to separate files.
  • Luv the mod, but am curious how I can resize the tiger down to its normal cat size?

Thanks in Advance!
  • Sure you can. Here are the instructions:

1. Open the tigerfish mod directory, and navigate to "media" -> "units" -> "monsters" -> "pets"

2. There you will find four .dat files representing four variants of the tiger. Use notepad to open the one you want to modify.

3. Find the line "<FLOAT>SCALE:1.6" (that's the size of the tiger), and change it to "<FLOAT>SCALE:0.75", as this is the scale of original Torchlight lynx. You may also experiment with other values and see what works best for you!
  • goro3dgoro3d Posts: 277
    **** this is gonna be coool!!!
    This is cool I'm gonna install this mod and start a new chracter! Awesome screenshots! Really nicely done! Keep up the good work!!!
    Works great loving it alot!! Great work!!!
  • Radagast82Radagast82 Posts: 10
    edited January 2010
    This is indeed a great mod, truly worth it. The tigers are just pure awesome both in size and design.
    I'm testing it with transmogrification potions at the same time, which are supposed to be compatible.

I found a bug though, which I think applies to both mods, since all the tiger-form-fish from both mods, generate the same bug.
    The bug is that the tiger forms, never ever flee. (haven't tested the dog forms tbh but it probably applies there too).
    The narrator keeps saying that the pet is fleeing, but the pet is ferociously continuing to hit the enemies, never fleeing even with 0 hp, thus making it immortal...
  • ElAmberElAmber Posts: 158
    Holy ****! this is one sweet mod! Thanks so much AverageOddity!
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to ask if anyone else has run this mod along with the Merchantpack mod?
    viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8255
    If so do you find that it conflicts?

I couldn't find the tiger-fish with the general store guy, but with Merchantpack he only sells potions. So I went to the Fishmonger but he didn't have the tiger-fish either.

So I un-installed the MerchantPack mod, cleared the cache and checked again. But still no tiger-fish with the (reinstated) General Store guy.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
    Phanjam wrote:
    I couldn't find the tiger-fish with the general store guy, but with Merchantpack he only sells potions. So I went to the Fishmonger but he didn't have the tiger-fish either.
    I got it to work already - very very nice! thanks much again!
    Torchmodders
  • When people fix something then dont post how... ugh it's very frustrating. I ran into the same problem and fixed it after a few trial and error attempts.

NOTE: This is a fix if your using Lathlas' mod Merchant Pack (uber mod btw). It will put the fish into the fishmongers inventory everytime like dog or cat fish.

Go to: mods/TigerfishModRoaringTigers\media\Spawnclasses

Create a folder called "merge" (without the quotes)

Cut and past the "Merchant General etc.dat" file into 'merge' folder and delete the adm file (if there is one).

At this point, in the Spawnclasses folder, all you should have in it is the 'merge' folder with the Merchant General etc.dat file inside.

Next, change the name of the Merchant General file to this minus quotes of course. "MERCHANT_FISHMONGER_STATIC_TIGER.dat"

Open the file with Notepad and change "<STRING>NAME:MERCHANT_GENERAL_INVENTORY" to "<STRING>NAME:MERCHANT_FISHMONGER_STATIC"

Finally, navigate back to just inside the Tigerfish mod folder, run Clearmodcache.bat, fire up the game and boom! Tigerfish! You may have to wait 30 sec and portal in/out to refresh the vendor once but this worked for me! I hope I was clear enough. Enjoy!
    edited January 2010
    falkon311 wrote:
    When people fix something then dont post how... ugh it's very frustrating. I ran into the same problem and fixed it after a few trial and error attempts.
    Hi falkon311. I didn't actually do anything that got it fixed. After the first problem where I un-installed Merchantpack but Tigerfish still wouldn't work, I gave it a break for the night. When I started playing again the next day, lo and behold, the Tigerfish were there (with the General Store guy). No idea why though...
    So that's why I didn't say how I fixed it, because I didn't.
    Good work on your fix though...
    Torchmodders
  • DideroDidero Posts: 90
    It takes a while for merchants to change their inventory, so if a mod adds something to a merchant it won't always immediately be in his stock.
    The best thing to do is leave the town for a few minutes, and then come back. Merchants will have refreshed their stock then, and any new items should show up.
    Creator of:
    -Total Respec mod (v2.0, Jan. 10 2010)
    -Faster Walking mod (v1.0, Nov. 11 2009)
    Uploader of:
    -Ferret Pet mod (ferret itself made by Runic) (v1.1.1, Jan. 4 2010)
    Thanks Didero. I guessed it had something to do with how the game refreshes the merchant's inventory.
    Torchmodders