Skill requirements

WingedCatWingedCat Posts: 20
edited July 25 in General Modding

Hey guys!

I know that skills can be made to require a level minimum or a certain other skill but I was hoping there could be other requirements like stats, more than one skill or either one of multiple skills?
I already tried seperating skill names in the required skill panel with && or || because those were mentioned in the skill ? tooltip as commands to join expressions but i guess they really only work in the search filter.

If anyone has any idea or even knows of a functioning method I would highly appreciate that.

Tagged:

Comments

• WingedCatWingedCat Posts: 20
    edited July 25

Also, can activating a skill disable the possible activation of another?

• VizViz Posts: 9
    edited July 26

@WingedCat said:
    Also, can activating a skill disable the possible activation of another?

This is possible by creating a new unittheme and apply it to the skill.. and their affixes. I'm not sure how to explain it properly, but you can see the example by looking into the files of Ember Sage mod. Basically the interaction between Warmer and Icicle Veil.

edited July 27

This is possible by creating a new unittheme and apply it to the skill..

Thx Viz. I think i know what you mean but it's not quite what I'm looking for.
    I meant activation as in investing skill points, not the actual performance of the skill.
    I should have been more clear about that though.

• PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭

Hey @WingedCat see if this post helps http://torchmodders.com/forums/lure-of-ember-tc-public-board/re-re-(idea-generation)-mods-to-encourage-more-online-mp/msg830/#msg830
    Its an old post of gytfunke's over at torchmodders where he talks about making stats into skill requirements

Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF

Thanks a lot @Phanjam

this should be really helpful because a classless passive skill tree is exactly what intend to work on.
    Active skills would probably be learned by spell scrolls although a maximum of 4 might be narrow.
    I'll take a look at the files posted by gytfunke when i find the time and see whether i can modify it to my liking.
    I have no intention on putting my mod on Steam so far but if I ever do I'll make sure to credit the both of you.
    It will probably take me forever to finish anyway because i have little spare time at the moment.

This might be unrelated to the actual topic but is there a way to get rid of the various caps (damage reduction, block chance) in the game?

• VizViz Posts: 9

Those caps are pretty much hardcoded I think.

edited August 4

Viz is right, the caps are hardcoded. But some ppl have tried counterbalancing this.

Chthon for example has an "armor fix" which improves the %DR armor gives. Best that u read about it first (its about halfway down that page) to see if it suits ur plans.

Torchmodders
    edited August 13

Thanks guys.
    A little peak into gytfunke's ressources really helped a lot. It's not half as complicated as I feared it would be.
    The new possibilities even make me reconsider what I had in mind. I was going for a skill board similar to the achievements in Super Smash Bros or Kirby Airride. FFXII would be comparable as well. However a skill tree or network with connections between skills now also appeals to me but would be more work of course because it would extend way further and consists of more pictures. I'll have to think about it again. I'd ask for your opinion but I should probably open another discussion for that.
    It's a shame that the caps are hardcoded but I will just make sure that the hadcoded caps are unreachable for players because my mod isn't supposed to be a hack and slay mode anway and players won't be nearly as powerful as they are in the vanilla game.

Hey @WingedCat also feel free to post on torchmodders.com/forums ;)

Torchmodders
  • alastair313alastair313 Posts: 1

Could anyone explain what is it?

Hi @alastair313 . the OP was asking about making skills require stats. Like u need to have "x" strength before using a certain skill.

Torchmodders