[CLASS] Decimator Robot (Coming out in Torchlight 2)

13468914

Comments

  • Thanks for the support everyone. It's cool to see the community and devs excited about the mod. It keeps the animator and I motivated to keep working. :mrgreen:

    I successfully imported some of our test animations for the Decimator into the game, so here's a video of some of them looping. The texture on the guy is placeholder and the animations are still tests, but it should give you an early glimpse how it will look in-game.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aQMC8SojkY
    -Will- Environment Artist http://wharris.wordpress.com
    [CLASS] Decimator Robot (WIP): http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7162
  • Haha, looks a little busy with all of them on there, but the animations look great!
    Please check out my WIP class, the Shadowdancer - I'd love to get some feedback!
  • I have to say I'm flat out surprised at seeing real models and animation progress. Big kudos.
  • VagrantVagrant Posts: 409
    Indeed, the animations look incredible! Once this guy is complete, this is going to be my main class, I have no doubts in my mind about that whatsoever!

    This mod is a huge undertaking, and you're doing really well Slybones, both you and your animator! Congratulate him for me on a job well done, too!
    I'm many things: a transhumanist, an imagineer, a werewolf fan, and an amateur hypnotist even. But perhaps the most important to keep in mind is that I'm an old-master at tongue-firmly-placed-in-cheek.
  • Is it weird for me to feel both "can I ever hope to match that?" and "I can't wait til it's it's done?"

    Sly, this thing is simply class. Honestly, and please don't take this the wrong way, it feels a little intimidating to be up against something this completely awesome. I really can't think of anything else to say, aside from "Still Do Want."
  • thisbarbthisbarb Posts: 183
    MShadowy wrote:
    Is it weird for me to feel both "can I ever hope to match that?" and "I can't wait til it's it's done?"

    Sly, this thing is simply class. Honestly, and please don't take this the wrong way, it feels a little intimidating to be up against something this completely awesome. I really can't think of anything else to say, aside from "Still Do Want."

    Um... he has professional experience, if you haven't checked out his resume. He's worked at NCSoft and on various video game titles, as well. Don't feel so discouraged.
  • thisbarb wrote:
    Um... he has professional experience, if you haven't checked out his resume. He's worked at NCSoft and on various video game titles, as well. Don't feel so discouraged.

    It's probably more Winter than anything. For some reason, I've noticed I'm far more easily discouraged during the season than at any other time of the year. I'm not about to be stopped, though; it just slows my efforts when I'm feeling uncertain.
  • UweUwe Posts: 96
    If "Full Auto" is a "hold button to keep shooting" ability, OMFG MAN UPLOADZ THIZ HEROZ, I WANNA PLAYZ ITZ!
  • awesome mod!

    I just played some of the game last week and then got the pre-editor, haven't figured it out yet.

    Was just thinking about a Stark/Steam-Knight class - basically a shrimp pilot in a hulking suit of power-steam-armor. Starts off with just the skeleton and some hardened leather plates and works up to meteoric steel and sybernetikx (cybernetics).

    The idea was a completely non-magical class - ie. technology nullifies magic (think Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura). Started on some initial sketches and some thoughts on the armor / weapons and abilities... all the abilities and special "enchantments" are tech based - ie. Electro-Swords, Flame Oil Swords / Flame Thrower, Ice-blaster, poison gas emitter etc etc.

    Most of the actual skills would revolve around armored charges, repair gnomes, gnome gunners etc - so very similar to what you already have.

    Now I see this and im totally depressed... I was still going to try recruit a friend of a friend who is a 3d artist to do the meshes and sprites etc.

    Look fwd to seeing this out - it will either ruin my plans or inspire me - jury's out on the decision.
  • IggyIggy Posts: 49
    ironKing wrote:
    Was just thinking about a Stark/Steam-Knight class - basically a shrimp pilot in a hulking suit of power-steam-armor. Starts off with just the skeleton and some hardened leather plates and works up to meteoric steel and sybernetikx (cybernetics).

    The idea was a completely non-magical class - ie. technology nullifies magic (think Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura). Started on some initial sketches and some thoughts on the armor / weapons and abilities... all the abilities and special "enchantments" are tech based - ie. Electro-Swords, Flame Oil Swords / Flame Thrower, Ice-blaster, poison gas emitter etc etc.

    Most of the actual skills would revolve around armored charges, repair gnomes, gnome gunners etc - so very similar to what you already have.

    That is have been what gnomes warriors should have been in WoW, that way they would have made sense.
    But that's off topic :). Nice job guys, i cant way to try this steaming pile of...awesome!
  • Feeling like a mad scientist right now.....it's alive......IT'S ALLLIIIIIVE!!! :geek:

    Decimator is in-game and working. Still a ways to go for anything remotely playable, but it's looking promising. Here's a video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8JZ6AvdG6I


    @ IronKing: That sounds awesome dude. Do it! Once I get this guy working I'll probably write up some tutorials on the whole process.
    -Will- Environment Artist http://wharris.wordpress.com
    [CLASS] Decimator Robot (WIP): http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7162
  • cant wait to play this mod! keep the good stuff flowing!!! this is really good! more preview the more i crave for this mod to finish! more power to you Slybone!
  • Great! Love those little moving details in the back and the "chimney" ;) It would be neat to have some smoke coming out from it.
    Decimator is comming, it's comming.. Just like waiting for Christmas :D
  • Slybones wrote:
    Feeling like a mad scientist right now.....it's alive......IT'S ALLLIIIIIVE!!! :geek:

    Decimator is in-game and working. Still a ways to go for anything remotely playable, but it's looking promising. Here's a video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8JZ6AvdG6I


    @ IronKing: That sounds awesome dude. Do it! Once I get this guy working I'll probably write up some tutorials on the whole process.
    It would be good to edit this into your initial post, so people don't have to go searching for the video.. looks awesome!
  • Good call. I'll start also updating the first page to include any big updates. Added the youtube links just now
    -Will- Environment Artist http://wharris.wordpress.com
    [CLASS] Decimator Robot (WIP): http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7162
  • VagrantVagrant Posts: 409
    It looks simply astounding, and I'm glad to see the stompy **** wandering around in the game. There were quite a few unexpected sights too, such as the idle animations for one (those are very nicely done and it gives the Decmiator a very clockpunk feel!), and... was that jumping? >.>

    Oh, I cannot tell you how much I'm looking forward to this, and both you and your animator are doing fantastic work, Sly!
    I'm many things: a transhumanist, an imagineer, a werewolf fan, and an amateur hypnotist even. But perhaps the most important to keep in mind is that I'm an old-master at tongue-firmly-placed-in-cheek.
  • thanks! :)

    *is the animator*
  • And once more I say EPIC.
    If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?
    -Albert Einstein
  • Am I the only one who thought the in-game Decimator seemed a little short? I hate criticizing a job that is so well done, but I do think the robot would be a lot more intimidating if it were a bit taller than the other characters.

    Other than that, I do have to say I've been drooling over this mod for quite some time. I can't wait to start using that spin attack!
    Paladin Class: discussion thread, download page
    Shared Animations Library: discussion thread, download page
  • Am I the only one who thought the in-game Decimator seemed a little short? I hate criticizing a job that is so well done, but I do think the robot would be a lot more intimidating if it were a bit taller than the other characters.

    The problem is that then it might not fit through some doors. As cool as having a titanic robot of doom walking around would be, it would be embarrassing if you got stuck in a level 'cause the door's too small...

    Looks very cool in game, Slybones, keep it up!
    Please check out my WIP class, the Shadowdancer - I'd love to get some feedback!
  • VagrantVagrant Posts: 409
    It's probably just the testing size, CCC. I imagine they just wanted him in there at first to make sure he works, things like <SCALE> tweaking can come later. At least, that's my take on the Deci's size.
    I'm many things: a transhumanist, an imagineer, a werewolf fan, and an amateur hypnotist even. But perhaps the most important to keep in mind is that I'm an old-master at tongue-firmly-placed-in-cheek.
  • He's actually a bit taller than the Destroyer, but he's so wide that it makes him look short. Proportions aren't quite final and now that he's in game we'll probably tweak him a bit to read better from the camera.

    Bit of bad news though, my motherboard on my home machine died the day after I got the character working....lol So, I'm going to be unable to work on it until probably late December / early January. I'll update as soon as I'm back running again :)
    -Will- Environment Artist http://wharris.wordpress.com
    [CLASS] Decimator Robot (WIP): http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7162
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭
    Aw Sly..nooo! Sorry to hear man. No hurries, dude. This is looking awesome, and the wait will be more than worth it!
    ItfooQF.png
  • Slybones wrote:
    He's actually a bit taller than the Destroyer, but he's so wide that it makes him look short. Proportions aren't quite final and now that he's in game we'll probably tweak him a bit to read better from the camera.

    Bit of bad news though, my motherboard on my home machine died the day after I got the character working....lol So, I'm going to be unable to work on it until probably late December / early January. I'll update as soon as I'm back running again :)

    Ouch. Here's hoping you get up and running again shortly.

    In any case, good luck, and I remain eager to give this big fella a go in game.
  • Slybones wrote:
    Bit of bad news though, my motherboard on my home machine died the day after I got the character working....lol So, I'm going to be unable to work on it until probably late December / early January. I'll update as soon as I'm back running again :)

    I sincerely hope you are making backups because I've seen many a project like this come to a halt due to a HDD crash. That'd be tragic.
  • just wanted to commend your work and say I will be waiting to play the final class ^^ thanks
  • kitetsukitetsu Posts: 256
    As long as your data isn't wiped from the mobo choking out, everything will only need time. Best wishes to that, I mean this is something I wish I can do someday.
  • Your work is astonishing. Really. :shock:

    Good luck with your hardware trouble. I hope your rig will be up and running soon ! ;)
13468914
Sign In or Register to comment.